Targets and Progress.

de niro said:
unless there is a massive shake up we'll finish outside of the top 4.

Agreed. We need to start by getting this clown of an owner out who knows fuck all about football and sacked the greatest manager we've ever had and brought the Spanish clowns in. I reckon we need a proper Englishman at the top. Mike Ashley's got a few quid. ;)

Prestwich_Blue said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
shipleyblue2 said:
Target top three finish. champions league qualification and progression to the quarter final and beyond is the only necessity for continuing success. to attract and retain top players at senior and youth level. And to achieve ffp. anything else is a welcome bonus though personally a treble would be nice
top three?

If we don't win it next season you have wonder what the fuck is going on. specially as we're probably going to spend yet another 100 milllion.
What a load of rubbish. There's is no way you can set a target of winning the league. You can have it as an ambition but as we've seen this season, little things can completely screw things up.

- If Hart hadn't fucked up at Stamford Bridge;
- If Villa's first goal had been disallowed as it should have been and we'd gone on to win there;
- If Aguero plays that pass to Silva slightly better at Anfield or Silva gets a better touch on it and score;
- If Kompany clears that ball properly;

If these things had gone the way they should then we'd be strolling home to the title now but they didn't and you simply can't blame the manager for those.
That's all hindsight. The target from the start should be to win the title and if we don't do it we should be disappointed, even if we understand we won't win it every season.

We need to get this soft lad, excuse laden attitude out of our club. We're too nice and have too many excuses in the locker. We should be aiming to be champions of England and be ruthless in trying to get that, every season. If we don't do it we should hold our hands up, admit we weren't good enough, be disappointed in that but dust ourselves down and go again for the same target the next season.

To be a proper champion team and club we need to change this attitude that is too abundant with us. To a champion second place is unacceptable, a failure. But you have to have the character and determination to take that in the chin and aim to be the winners next time.

Being too nice, not aiming high enough and having excuses is not what real champions have.

Here are some quotes from the greatest champion in sport in my lifetime:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Michael Jordan

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."
Michael Jordan

"I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win."
Michael Jordan

"You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them."
Michael Jordan

"No excuses, not ever."
Michael Jordan

Expect to win, aim to win, every loss is a failure but take that on with every next aim to win and you will be a champion. If you don't do these things and have a back lot of excuses why you didn't win, then you're not a champion and won't be one.

I think the exact opposite.

I'm sick if all of this vaguely vaguely hinty hinty "this is the target but it's OK if you do this instead." It's bullshit.

Just say it. The target is to win either the Premier League or the Champion's League. It will be difficult because other teams share those targets. However, that is our target and we will do everything in our power to achieve it.

I think if we don't have concrete targets that will rub off on to the players.

PSG have come in to Europe like us and said "we want to win this", and they have reached the last 8 in their second season. Expectation is key. Why should we target the top 4 and a domestic cup semi? Are you insane? Are we trying to be Arsenal or Barcelona? If we miss out on the League we might very well end up end up getting top 4 but that can't be out " target".

KippaxCitizen said:
That's all hindsight. The target from the start should be to win the title and if we don't do it we should be disappointed, even if we understand we won't win it every season.
I agree that our aim from the start should be to win the league. But to set a firm target that we have to win the league is pointless as it doesn't take into account what other teams do, injuries or other factors that we have no control over.

At best I'd possibly expect a points target.

KippaxCitizen said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
top three?

If we don't win it next season you have wonder what the fuck is going on. specially as we're probably going to spend yet another 100 milllion.
What a load of rubbish. There's is no way you can set a target of winning the league. You can have it as an ambition but as we've seen this season, little things can completely screw things up.

- If Hart hadn't fucked up at Stamford Bridge;
- If Villa's first goal had been disallowed as it should have been and we'd gone on to win there;
- If Aguero plays that pass to Silva slightly better at Anfield or Silva gets a better touch on it and score;
- If Kompany clears that ball properly;

If these things had gone the way they should then we'd be strolling home to the title now but they didn't and you simply can't blame the manager for those.

We need to get this soft lad, excuse laden attitude out of our club. We're too nice and have too many excuses in the locker. We should be aiming to be champions of England and be ruthless in trying to get that, every season. If we don't do it we should hold our hands up, admit we weren't good enough, be disappointed in that but dust ourselves down and go again for the same target the next season.

To be a proper champion team and club we need to change this attitude that is too abundant with us. To a champion second place is unacceptable, a failure. But you have to have the character and determination to take that in the chin and aim to be the winners next time.

Being too nice, not aiming high enough and having excuses is not what real champions have.

Here are some quotes from the greatest champion in sport in my lifetime:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
Michael Jordan

"If you accept the expectations of others, especially negative ones, then you never will change the outcome."
Michael Jordan

"I play to win, whether during practice or a real game. And I will not let anything get in the way of me and my competitive enthusiasm to win."
Michael Jordan

"You have to expect things of yourself before you can do them."
Michael Jordan

"No excuses, not ever."
Michael Jordan

Expect to win, aim to win, every loss is a failure but take that on with every next aim to win and you will be a champion. If you don't do these things and have a back lot of excuses why you didn't win, then you're not a champion and won't be one.

I think that mentality is missing in some of our players.

We should be aiming to win the title EVERY year , never mind top 3 . if we dont win it next year , that will be three years since we won it ,
and that is simply not good enough !
and before anybody comes out with the "remember where we've come from" line , those days have gone . finishing 3rd with our finances and squad
is a failure , full stop

panzer1311 said:
We should be aiming to win the title EVERY year , never mind top 3 . if we dont win it next year , that will be three years since we won it ,
and that is simply not good enough !
and before anybody comes out with the "remember where we've come from" line , those days have gone . finishing 3rd with our finances and squad
is a failure , full stop

Well said

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.