Targets and Progress.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
Troubadour said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
What a load of rubbish. There's is no way you can set a target of winning the league. You can have it as an ambition but as we've seen this season, little things can completely screw things up.

- If Hart hadn't fucked up at Stamford Bridge;
- If Villa's first goal had been disallowed as it should have been and we'd gone on to win there;
- If Aguero plays that pass to Silva slightly better at Anfield or Silva gets a better touch on it and score;
- If Kompany clears that ball properly;

If these things had gone the way they should then we'd be strolling home to the title now but they didn't and you simply can't blame the manager for those.

All if's & but's PB.
You can blame the manager for the team selection & set up at Anfield - thats the real reason we got beat in that game and Not Vinny's fuck up.
You can also blame him for the carnival against Wigan.
He has take some of the responsibility. You can't keep blaming everyone and everything else all of the time.

I agree to some extent with PB.

I blame the players. They let themselves and the fans down last season and look like doing the same this season for all the big talk they give it.

It's time to ship some of them out now.

They got what they wanted with Pellegrini and have let him down too.

One league cup in 2 seasons when we really should have been pushing on after winning the title is not good enough.

This ^^^^^^^^^^

Remember this speech my Kidd - 1:14 onwards.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ra-8gkKN8s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ra-8gkKN8s</a>

Looking the players in the eyes and seeng who wants it.

From the performances overall of a lot of our players in the last two years it appears a fair few don't have the bottle and determination and it's time they were moved on.

abu13 said:
Stoned Rose said:
The target for next season should be to win the league.

This season we had to many targets. We clearly stated at the outset that we wanted to win all 4. No one is going to be winning 4 trophies.

We've not won it this year simply because we dropped a completely unacceptable number of points v the lower placed sides. 17 points dropped from Cardiff, Sunderland, Villa, Stoke, Norwich and Southampton.

What happens is you drop these points which is poor in itself, but then you have to make these points up by beating the better sides. In effect you make a rod for your own back.

Had we won these 7 games (21 points) the losses to Liverpool and Chelsea wouldn't have mattered we'd still be top of the pile.

You have to win the 'bread and butter' games. Winning the 'glamour' games is just a bonus.

The sooner the club / players get their nuts round that the better.

This is one of the points i was making, we have previous for this as well. when Bobby was here we still blew real opportunities against lower placed teams.
i think this has to be a mentality issue where we believe we can play at 80% and still get the job done. For me this would be one of they key measures for me, i would have a target that come then of the season we should have lost no more than 9 points to the teams finishing in the bottom half. If you do this it automatically helps the league challenge.

Just think if we had beaten Sunderland home and away as well as Norwich ,Cardiff and Villa away we would have been 13 points better off, that would have us on 84 points now.

Definitely.

There's a pretty straightforward formula for winning the league year in year out imo. Granted It's 'crude' but you'll get my drift.

89 points pretty much guarantees you the title.

You have to beat the bottom half teams teams home and away. This in itself gives you 60 points from 20 games.

You then only have to find 29 points from the remaining 18 games. Given we'd still have 9 home games left, this would give us a very very significant margin for error.

this just makes it so much simpler

It also wouldn't take a genius to have a pretty good guess which teams are going to finish in the bottom half (granted there'll be 1 or 2 surprises) and then target those games for maximum points.

Stoned Rose said:
The target for next season should be to win the league.

This season we had to many targets. We clearly stated at the outset that we wanted to win all 4. No one is going to be winning 4 trophies.

We've not won it this year simply because we dropped a completely unacceptable number of points v the lower placed sides. 17 points dropped from Cardiff, Sunderland, Villa, Stoke, Norwich and Southampton.

What happens is you drop these points which is poor in itself, but then you have to make these points up by beating the better sides. In effect you make a rod for your own back.

Had we won these 7 games (21 points) the losses to Liverpool and Chelsea wouldn't have mattered we'd still be top of the pile.

You have to win the 'bread and butter' games. Winning the 'glamour' games is just a bonus.

The sooner the club / players get their nuts round that the better.
Well said mate.

Stoned Rose said:
abu13 said:
Stoned Rose said:
Definitely.

There's a pretty straightforward formula for winning the league year in year out imo. Granted It's 'crude' but you'll get my drift.

89 points pretty much guarantees you the title.

You have to beat the bottom half teams teams home and away. This in itself gives you 60 points from 20 games.

You then only have to find 29 points from the remaining 18 games. Given we'd still have 9 home games left, this would give us a very very significant margin for error.

this just makes it so much simpler

It also wouldn't take a genius to have a pretty good guess which teams are going to finish in the bottom half (granted there'll be 1 or 2 surprises) and then target those games for maximum points.
the furgisum method

I can live with not winning the title as we wasted too many points early in the season but I'm now trying to come to terms with not winning a domestic cup double when it was there for the taking.

I've not give up on the title and will be flying home next week for the run in but for some reason that Wigan result is really hurting me today.

challenge for the league

win a domestic cup

semi final of the european cup

have similar goal scoring stats as this season but hopefully better defensive stats

turn up in the small games and not bottle the big games.

I'd love to see people's reaction on here had we not won the league cup,It's not all doom and gloom,if said at the start of the season that a double for city would be amazing,cup in the bag and the title still a hope albeit a slight glimmer of hope,it's only pellers first season here so we can't expect him to do the quad first time round,def a tighter defence next season is required as to many sloppy goals were given away this year,as long as we can keep,up with the same goal scoring record as this season things should be fine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.