Targets and Progress.

Prestwich_Blue said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
shipleyblue2 said:
Target top three finish. champions league qualification and progression to the quarter final and beyond is the only necessity for continuing success. to attract and retain top players at senior and youth level. And to achieve ffp. anything else is a welcome bonus though personally a treble would be nice
top three?

If we don't win it next season you have wonder what the fuck is going on. specially as we're probably going to spend yet another 100 milllion.
What a load of rubbish. There's is no way you can set a target of winning the league. You can have it as an ambition but as we've seen this season, little things can completely screw things up.

- If Hart hadn't fucked up at Stamford Bridge;
- If Villa's first goal had been disallowed as it should have been and we'd gone on to win there;
- If Aguero plays that pass to Silva slightly better at Anfield or Silva gets a better touch on it and score;
- If Kompany clears that ball properly;

If these things had gone the way they should then we'd be strolling home to the title now but they didn't and you simply can't blame the manager for those.

All if's & but's PB.
You can blame the manager for the team selection & set up at Anfield - thats the real reason we got beat in that game and Not Vinny's fuck up.
You can also blame him for the carnival against Wigan.
He has take some of the responsibility. You can't keep blaming everyone and everything else all of the time.

panzer1311 said:
We should be aiming to win the title EVERY year , never mind top 3 . if we dont win it next year , that will be three years since we won it ,
and that is simply not good enough !
and before anybody comes out with the "remember where we've come from" line , those days have gone . finishing 3rd with our finances and squad
is a failure , full stop
We should be aiming to win it for sure but what if we're level on points with two other teams on the final day and lose it because a blatantly offside goal against us is wrongly given and we end up third? Are you going to sack a manager for that?

Well Pellegrini has not improved us this season so I would expect us to be a little worse next season

Prestwich_Blue said:
KippaxCitizen said:
That's all hindsight. The target from the start should be to win the title and if we don't do it we should be disappointed, even if we understand we won't win it every season.
I agree that our aim from the start should be to win the league. But to set a firm target that we have to win the league is pointless as it doesn't take into account what other teams do, injuries or other factors that we have no control over.

At best I'd possibly expect a points target.

It looks like we have missed out on our main aim/ target which was to win the league. That doesn't necessarily mean the manager has to go. If we get second that still represents progress on last season when you take into account we won the Capital One Cup. We can't expect to win the league every season.

Most of the signings we made were necessary replacements for outgoing players (negredo for tevez, Jovetic for Balotelli, Ferna for Barry) and players coming into a new league. All things considered, I don't think the squad Pellegrini had was that much better than Mancini had at the start of last season.

We have had terrible luck with injuries (worse than either Liverpool or Chelsea) so if this season is to be classed as a disappointment then there are certainly mitigating circumstances to be argued on behalf of the manager.

A few solid defensive signings (assuming we're not given a transfer embargo) would keep us in contention for next season. I think his position should be reviewed at the end of next season.

The target for next season should be to win the league.

This season we had to many targets. We clearly stated at the outset that we wanted to win all 4. No one is going to be winning 4 trophies.

We've not won it this year simply because we dropped a completely unacceptable number of points v the lower placed sides. 17 points dropped from Cardiff, Sunderland, Villa, Stoke, Norwich and Southampton.

What happens is you drop these points which is poor in itself, but then you have to make these points up by beating the better sides. In effect you make a rod for your own back.

Had we won these 7 games (21 points) the losses to Liverpool and Chelsea wouldn't have mattered we'd still be top of the pile.

You have to win the 'bread and butter' games. Winning the 'glamour' games is just a bonus.

The sooner the club / players get their nuts round that the better.

as long as we`re high profile & in the Champions league nothing else seems to mater, like throwing the FA cup away , we`ve got a happy dressing room now though.
We should target the League 1st and formost above everything .

Stoned Rose said:
The target for next season should be to win the league.

This season we had to many targets. We clearly stated at the outset that we wanted to win all 4. No one is going to be winning 4 trophies.

We've not won it this year simply because we dropped a completely unacceptable number of points v the lower placed sides. 17 points dropped from Cardiff, Sunderland, Villa, Stoke, Norwich and Southampton.

What happens is you drop these points which is poor in itself, but then you have to make these points up by beating the better sides. In effect you make a rod for your own back.

Had we won these 7 games (21 points) the losses to Liverpool and Chelsea wouldn't have mattered we'd still be top of the pile.

You have to win the 'bread and butter' games. Winning the 'glamour' games is just a bonus.

The sooner the club / players get their nuts round that the better.

This is one of the points i was making, we have previous for this as well. when Bobby was here we still blew real opportunities against lower placed teams.
i think this has to be a mentality issue where we believe we can play at 80% and still get the job done. For me this would be one of they key measures for me, i would have a target that come then of the season we should have lost no more than 9 points to the teams finishing in the bottom half. If you do this it automatically helps the league challenge.

Just think if we had beaten Sunderland home and away as well as Norwich ,Cardiff and Villa away we would have been 13 points better off, that would have us on 84 points now.

Troubadour said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
top three?

If we don't win it next season you have wonder what the fuck is going on. specially as we're probably going to spend yet another 100 milllion.
What a load of rubbish. There's is no way you can set a target of winning the league. You can have it as an ambition but as we've seen this season, little things can completely screw things up.

- If Hart hadn't fucked up at Stamford Bridge;
- If Villa's first goal had been disallowed as it should have been and we'd gone on to win there;
- If Aguero plays that pass to Silva slightly better at Anfield or Silva gets a better touch on it and score;
- If Kompany clears that ball properly;

If these things had gone the way they should then we'd be strolling home to the title now but they didn't and you simply can't blame the manager for those.

All if's & but's PB.
You can blame the manager for the team selection & set up at Anfield - thats the real reason we got beat in that game and Not Vinny's fuck up.
You can also blame him for the carnival against Wigan.
He has take some of the responsibility. You can't keep blaming everyone and everything else all of the time.

I agree to some extent with PB.

I blame the players. They let themselves and the fans down last season and look like doing the same this season for all the big talk they give it.

It's time to ship some of them out now.

They got what they wanted with Pellegrini and have let him down too.

One league cup in 2 seasons when we really should have been pushing on after winning the title is not good enough.

Prestwich_Blue said:
panzer1311 said:
We should be aiming to win the title EVERY year , never mind top 3 . if we dont win it next year , that will be three years since we won it ,
and that is simply not good enough !
and before anybody comes out with the "remember where we've come from" line , those days have gone . finishing 3rd with our finances and squad
is a failure , full stop
We should be aiming to win it for sure but what if we're level on points with two other teams on the final day and lose it because a blatantly offside goal against us is wrongly given and we end up third? Are you going to sack a manager for that?
Wow , thats a highly unlikely series of events , at the end of the day we HAVE to win trophies , every year , and the title should be a priority , not top fuckin

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.