Team for the opening day of next season update 10/11 page 19

Re: Team for the opening day of next season

Right I'm bored, so I'm going to chime into this thread with a post of such distinct and immediately evident quality, that a moderator will be overcome with emotion, immediately lock the thread, print it out and hand it to Gary Cook personally, calling it 'the mandate for Manchester City, advocated and prepared by the fans.'

;)

Well, maybe much of that won't happen, but I've been thinking about this at some length, it's Good Friday, I've precisely fuck all else to do. So that's right, you bastards, I'm going to reason with you.

So, starting from the top. The team manager and chief backroom staff. Keep 'em all, for now. The watch word here is consistency, which, at the end of the day, is what we haven't got right now. Quality, yes, players, yes, ability to mainatin a level of form from one match to the next, no. Why is this? I'll argue it down with anyone that it's actually because there is nothing, historically, consistent about City at the moment, with the exception of the fans. We have a new board, new chief exec, new marketing people, new manager, new coaches, and perhaps most importantly, lots of new players. Think about it. Between Hughes and Sven there must be about 20 1st team players at City who were either still in the youth ranks or playing somewhere else 2 years ago today. Those players generally get games, now, over the dregs of the Pearce era, with the exception of a couple of important youngsters and Dunnie. Ball, Hamann, Vassell, Mills are the only senior players left from 2007, are no longer a feature and will soon be gone. In the context of a football team, I must impress upon you that learning the functions and skills of your coleagues, under the pressure of a match situation, and (specifically) adapting your game to create a cohesive system takes TIME. Even 2 years isn't enough to let you adapt, when everything around you is in a constant state of flux.

Anyway, that's my feelings on that. This isn't a Hughes in/ Hughes out thread, so let's just say that the above set of opinions is relevant because it informs my further assumptions about tactics, and will have a bareing on my arguements with regard to specific players and postions.

So, then. Tactics. I assume Hughes will stay. I assume also, that rather than the 4-4-2 formation my less bright brethren seem to yearn for, we'll stick with the 4-3-3. Or to be more precise, either of these set ups, which are based on said but have the odd subtle difference. Both systems use attacking full backs to provide width, and are reasonably proven in the modern PL if applied correctly.

Formation 1: The Benitez Bomb

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

--- DM ------ DM ---

- AMR - AMC - AML -

-------- TS --------

The above is akin to how we regularly lay, right now. Kompany, De Jong, Zabaleta are selected in the two DM positions, with SWP/ SI/ Binho in front. TS means target striker, which we ain't really got, apart from the oft crocked and generally bobbins Benjani. Rafa has Torres. It's also not a million miles removed from the attacking diamond formation baconface prefers.

Formation 2: No way, Jose.

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

-------- DM --------

---- CM ----- CM ---

- AMR -------- AML -

-------- TS --------

Does fortune favour the brave? It does if your reputation preceeds you, and you only ever have to play sides that are expecting to get beat. You need central midfield box to box players with reasonable postional sense and tackling ability to pull this off, to assist your DM sweeper and also to assist your front line. De Jong is our Makelele. But Mourinho had Didier Dogba. We beat Portsmouth 6-0 using this formation

Now then. Select one of the above, depending on who we are playing, and how our form is.

With those two formations, we can analyse the strength of the squad in each position. The defence is fairly straightforward, as a back four is a back four. Likewise the three-pronged attack The midfield is a bit more involved because we have 5 or 6 different roles, depending on how eaxctly we set up our team on a given matchday.

So, position by position, let's have a look-

GK. We're fine. Given, Hart, Schmeichel. Schmeichel wants away, I say let him go. He'll need to be replaced with someone who is willing to be a 3rd choice keeper, though.

RB. Richards, Zabaleta, Onouha. Not a problem position imo.

LB. Bridge, Garrido, Ball. Ball will go. Garrido may go back to Spain. McGivern also has a shout for 2nd choice, but perhaps for him it's too early to expect that much. We need another useful, PL experienced option at LB, 30's age ideal.

CB (x 2). Dunne, Onouha, Kompany, Richards. Two of the players in this list I'd prefer to have in the team elsewhere. Reinforcements urgently required, as a priority position to fix. I'd go over the odds for Lescott, as he has PL experience, and has a left foot so might negate the need to get in another LB. Dunne will remain important, as will Onouha, but another experienced, hard tackling CB could also be helpful. Mee to go on loan.

DM (x 1 or 2). De Jong, Zabaleta, Kompany. Personally I think we need another Vinny Kompany type player in here, to give us more options when Vinny can't play. Valencia might not part with Villa or Silva, but they might part with Raul Albiol. Go get him! Gelson, sorry mate, you're out. Likewise Didi.

CM (x 0 or 2). Johnson, Ireland, Elano. Still our biggest problem postion imo. Any of these players would be more or less fine as half of this pairing but any two together looks decidely ropey. FFS buy Gareth Barry or similar quality 'midfield general' type immediately. £20m. Shut up Gary, just get on with it.

AMC. Ireland, Elano, Robinho. Not a problem position imo

AMR. SWP, Bellamy, Etuhu. As above. Etuhu to go, Weiss to go on loan.

AML. Robinho, Petrov, Sturridge. Not a problem position imo.

TS. Benjani, Caicedo, Bellamy, Sturridge. We need a tall, powerful yet mobile striker in the Torres/ Drogba mould to make these formations work. It's exactly what we havent got. Lose Benjani. Loan Caicedo out for 12 months. Buy RSC, buy Benzema.

--

In the above, we can remove some fat from the squad, and improve (hopefully markedly) without adding too many new faces to the equation. I'd set a limit of 5 new players (which is more than I'd like tbh) and purchase the following:

Joleon Lescott
Raul Albiol
Gareth Barry
RSC
Karim Benzema

I'd expect English players to settle into things more quickly and will be better able to integrate without a language barrier. Likewise RSC, who won't even have to move house, and will be back working for a manager he likes.

Special dispensation would be granted (exclusive of the above limit) for Franc Ribery or Ricardo Kaka, on general principles.

I commend my plan to thee...

goat boy said:
Right I'm bored, so I'm going to chime into this thread with a post of such distinct and immediately evident quality, that a moderator will be overcome with emotion, immediately lock the thread, print it out and hand it to Gary Cook personally, calling it 'the mandate for Manchester City, advocated and prepared by the fans.'

;)

Well, maybe much of that won't happen, but I've been thinking about this at some length, it's Good Friday, I've precisely fuck all else to do. So that's right, you bastards, I'm going to reason with you.

So, starting from the top. The team manager and chief backroom staff. Keep 'em all, for now. The watch word here is consistency, which, at the end of the day, is what we haven't got right now. Quality, yes, players, yes, ability to mainatin a level of form from one match to the next, no. Why is this? I'll argue it down with anyone that it's actually because there is nothing, historically, consistent about City at the moment, with the exception of the fans. We have a new board, new chief exec, new marketing people, new manager, new coaches, and perhaps most importantly, lots of new players. Think about it. Between Hughes and Sven there must be about 20 1st team players at City who were either still in the youth ranks or playing somewhere else 2 years ago today. Those players generally get games, now, over the dregs of the Pearce era, with the exception of a couple of important youngsters and Dunnie. Ball, Hamann, Vassell, Mills are the only senior players left from 2007, are no longer a feature and will soon be gone. In the context of a football team, I must impress upon you that learning the functions and skills of your coleagues, under the pressure of a match situation, and (specifically) adapting your game to create a cohesive system takes TIME. Even 2 years isn't enough to let you adapt, when everything around you is in a constant state of flux.

Anyway, that's my feelings on that. This isn't a Hughes in/ Hughes out thread, so let's just say that the above set of opinions is relevant because it informs my further assumptions about tactics, and will have a bareing on my arguements with regard to specific players and postions.

So, then. Tactics. I assume Hughes will stay. I assume also, that rather than the 4-4-2 formation my less bright brethren seem to yearn for, we'll stick with the 4-3-3. Or to be more precise, either of these set ups, which are based on said but have the odd subtle difference. Both systems use attacking full backs to provide width, and are reasonably proven in the modern PL if applied correctly.

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

--- DM ------ DM ---

- AMR - AMC - AML -

-------- TS --------

The above is akin to how we regularly lay, right now. Kompany, De Jong, Zabaleta are selected in the two DM positions, with SWP/ SI/ Binho in front. TS means target striker, which we ain't really got, apart from the oft crocked and generally bobbins Benjani. Rafa has Torres. It's also not a million miles removed from the attacking diamond formation baconface prefers.

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

-------- DM --------

---- CM ----- CM ---

- AMR -------- AML -

-------- TS --------

Does fortune favour the brave? It does if your reputation preceeds you, and you only ever have to play sides that are expecting to get beat. You need central midfield box to box players with reasonable postional sense and tackling ability to pull this off, to assist your DM sweeper and also to assist your front line. De Jong is our Makelele. But Mourinho had Didier Dogba. We beat Portsmouth 6-0 using this formation

Now then. Select one of the above, depending on who we are playing, and how our form is.

With those two formations, we can analyse the strength of the squad in each position. The defence is fairly straightforward, as a back four is a back four. Likewise the three-pronged attack The midfield is a bit more involved because we have 5 or 6 different roles, depending on how eaxctly we set up our team on a given matchday.

GK. We're fine. Given, Hart, Schmeichel. Schmeichel wants away, I say let him go. He'll need to be replaced with someone who is willing to be a 3rd choice keeper, though.

LB. Bridge, Garrido, Ball. Ball will go. Garrido may go back to Spain. McGivern also has a shout for 2nd choice, but perhaps for him it's too early to expect that much. We need another useful, PL experienced option at LB, 30's age ideal.

CB (x 2). Dunne, Onouha, Kompany, Richards. Two of the players in this list I'd prefer to have in the team elsewhere. Reinforcements urgently required, as a priority position to fix. I'd go over the odds for Lescott, as he has PL experience, and has a left foot so might negate the need to get in another LB. Dunne will remain important, as will Onouha, but another experienced, hard tackling CB could also be helpful. Mee to go on loan.

DM (x 1 or 2). De Jong, Zabaleta, Kompany. Personally I think we need another Vinny Kompany type player in here, to give us more options when Vinny can't play. Valencia might not part with Villa or Silva, but they might part with Raul Albiol. Go get him! Gelson, sorry mate, you're out. Likewise Didi.

CM (x 0 or 2). Johnson, Ireland, Elano. Still our biggest problem postion imo. Any of these players would be more or less fine as half of this pairing but any two together looks decidely ropey. FFS buy Gareth Barry or similar quality 'midfield general' type immediately. £20m. Shut up Gary, just get on with it.

TS. Benjani, Caicedo, Bellamy, Sturridge. We need a tall, powerful yet mobile striker in the Torres/ Drogba mould to make these formations work. It's exactly what we havent got. Lose Benjani. Loan Caicedo out for 12 months. Buy RSC, buy Benzema.

--

In the above, we can remove some fat from the squad, and improve (hopefully markedly) without adding too many new faces to the equation. I'd set a limit of 5 new players (which is more than I'd like tbh) and purchase the following:

Joleon Lescott
Raul Albiol
Gareth Barry
RSC
Karim Benzema

I'd expect English players to settle into things more quickly and will be better able to integrate without a language barrier. Likewise RSC, who won't even have to move house, and will be back working for a manager he likes.

Special dispensation would be granted (exclusive of the above limit) for Franc Ribery or Ricardo Kaka, on general principles.

you should get paid for this stuff man

goat boy said:

;)

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

--- DM ------ DM ---

- AMR - AMC - AML -

-------- TS --------

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

-------- DM --------

---- CM ----- CM ---

- AMR -------- AML -

-------- TS --------

--

Joleon Lescott
Raul Albiol
Gareth Barry
RSC
Karim Benzema

Top post

I like yourself hopes we can sort out the position stated unfortunately I think Barry will Liverpool bound and Benzema will be heading for a CL club

The others I'm not sure if we can get them, with the exception of RSC who will be joining us in the summer

I just saw NAC-AZ. I heard that el hamdoui the topscorer of AZ and the eredivisie was a topstriker but I'm more impressed by Moussa Dembele who made the 0-1 for AZ. He played 'target striker' in the first half and winger in the second when he scored a beautiful goal after dribbling 4 men.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDocKx9BJNc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDocKx9BJNc</a>

Apparantly he has a patent on beautiful goals.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wET77CTHX3w" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wET77CTHX3w</a>

May be he can be a good targetman for city

goat boy said:

;)

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

--- DM ------ DM ---

- AMR - AMC - AML -

-------- TS --------

-------- GK --------

RB -- CB -- CB -- LB

-------- DM --------

---- CM ----- CM ---

- AMR -------- AML -

-------- TS --------

--

Joleon Lescott
Raul Albiol
Gareth Barry
RSC
Karim Benzema

This is very good, I read it all. I've been meaning to ask someone more football-minded than I am to name or at least describe some of the formations we've been playing in, it hasn't always been that obvious with players playing out of their more usual positions and so tending to drift.

The important thing at the moment, especially away from home, seems to be to set the team up so that the full backs aren't left on their own and out-numbered. And so the right side seems to work better when SWP is out wide on the right. I'm less confident than you are about things on the left, Bridge is too frequently a yard too slow, he can't show anyone the outside because they'll take it, and if he steps in on a player and doesn't get the ball he won't catch them up for a second go. The trend seems to be for faster full backs, though I know it's not everything. I suspect we'll make another expensive left back signing if one becomes available.

I think we also need to keep in mind the injury records of some of the players we're looking to build the team around. Kompany's record particularly hasn't been good, we've been very fortunate with him so far. By next season we should be in a position where if Pablo Z has to play in defensive midfield he should always have someone alongside him more used to playng there than say SWP or more capable than Fernandes. In other words we should be ready for Kompany and De Jong being off the same week.

everyone is going on about RSC is he the answer he has not done much this season prob due to injury but when is fit he is on the bench with Mccarthy and Roberts starting ahead of him. (would we have either of them player unlikely) if we are looking for a traget striker with prem experience why not John Carew at villa he is Huge wins everything in the air and can out muscle every centre back ive seen so far. he would be cheaper than RSC and i think more affective with the the balls played over by petrov and SWP.

i have also noticed alot recently is no creativity from the midfield the strikers are getting nothing. robbie is isolated on the left constatly with no support from midfield or full backs and when he is on the ball everyone disappears as though they want him to do it all. i think that is an area that needs addressing. if we have a Big striker like Carew then play Robbie off him with 2 out and out wingers in SWP and petrov. 1 holding midfielder and then a creater in the middle of the park who can make things tick at the moment we have Ireland and Elano who can pass the ball but they are not doing this as the team is too narrow and we are trying to play through teams rather than around them.

If we had the target striker then the wingers would not be scared to get the ball in the box as they are now.

Team should look like example not in stone so dont beat me up if i leave a player out you like.

Given

Zab Dunne Kompany Bridge

De Jong
SWP Ireland Petrov

Robbie
Bojinov

As you see noone is big enough to get on the end of crosses teh only one who could is Evans but no experience

GK - Given, Hart,
RD - Richards, Zabaleta
LD - Bridge, Garrido
CD - Kompany, Dunne
CD - Lescott, Onuoha
DM - De Jong, Fernandes
CM - Ireland, Johnson
CM - Moutinho, Veloso
AMR - Ribery, SWP
AML - Robinho, Petrov
CF - Benzema, Jo

Not gonna happen i don't think but i would absolutely love this...

--------------Given
Zabs-----Albiol----Chiellini---Bridge
-------Komps------De Jong
-------------Ireland
-----Ribery------------Robinho
---------------Villa

I like your post goatboy, one thing I would add though is LB. As we've seen, are backup to Bridge isn't very adequate and the man himself is prone to injury. I wouldn't make it one of my top priorities if I were Hughes but I wouldn't complain if it were addressed.

Hughes_head_scout said:
If you were handed the managers job who would you buy (or sell) this summer and who would be your startin line up (realisiticaly). Here's mine

Given
Richards Alves Kompany Bridge

SWP Zabaletta De Jong Silva

Ibrahimovic Robinho

Bench: Hart Dunne Onuha Johnson Ireland Sturridge Bojinov

Ireland could be used instead of Robinho in away games if robi plays anything like he has done this season. I know its a bit harsh to drop ireland but he doesnt fit well into a 4-4-2 formation. Also i know silva is a push but whats to say with valencia's financial troubles we cnt get him. I reckon villa will go to barca which could mean eto'o comin here which is a lot more likely than us gettin ibra especially with him and mourinho gettin on like a house on fire

Kompany needs to go, Zabaletta needs to go. He has spent more time ball watching when playing in a CM position than most of the fans!! Id have Ireland instead of Zab playing.

Good call on Ibrahimovic but he is never going to leave milan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.