Tennis Thread

I read that she is very injury prone. Maybe just growing problems. Also she will now do a lot more conditioning work. You do have to be careful, though. Hingis, for example, retired quite young thru playing too much at a very young age.
Is she destined to be the Trevor Francis of tennis?
I don't think she will. I think this tournament, and in particular, last night was a pivotal moment. It's obvious she has talent to burn and the confidence that win will have given her, will make a huge difference. She now *knows* she can come through it, rather than just being constantly told and constantly telling herself that she can.

As I say, by her standards, I don't even think she played that well last night. Her serve, in the 1st set especially was well below her normal standard. And she fluffed her lines on many points where previously, she's been brutal. And STILL she won, against surely one of the best players on the planet... Just incredible.

Yeah sports psychology is massive nowadays, and I saw quite a few Olympians and Paralympians shout out their psychologists in interviews in the summer. I imagine when you're a 17 year-old tennis player no-one's ever heard of, a psychologist probably isn't top of your list of team members you can afford to bring along. Obviously I say that as someone with absolutely no knowledge of tennis funding. But no doubt after her fairly successful Wimbledon, that would have been something they looked at.
She’ll be able to afford a top team now too.

I read that she is very injury prone. Maybe just growing problems. Also she will now do a lot more conditioning work. You do have to be careful, though. Hingis, for example, retired quite young thru playing too much at a very young age.
Is she destined to be the Trevor Francis of tennis?
murray went through a very similar stage early in his career when he was still growing. I would expect her issues to settle down over the next couple of years.

Delighted for her, incredible achievement.
Am I alone in thinking it a sad indictment of these times, that so many posters seem more impressed about what it means monetarily?
No. Most people delight most in her achievement. She is a pro and, therefore, the money is an important element, but secondary in the fans eyes.

Meanwhile Djokovic is a break down. I expect him to win after losing the first set, like always.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.