Tevez For Eto'o...Straight Swap?

if anyone believes carlos tevez will be a top flight footballer 3 years longer than eto'o, they are off their rocker. so the age doesn't make too much of a difference, infact, i'd argue eto'o is fitter than HMH

sbm said:
This thread highlights yet again the ignorance of many Tevez fans about his status in world football. He is currently 44th in the Castrol World Rankings. Having scored the same number of goals for Argentina as Aguero in twice the number of matches, he is at best the 3rd ranking of the Argentine strikers. He scored just 7 goals in 26 appearances for West Ham. Scoring 19 goals in 63 appearances for United, he was Ferguson's 3rd choice striker. From August 2009 to the end of November 2009, he scored just 2 premier league goals for City (both at home against West Ham).

From December 2009 to his transfer request in December 2010, he was, indeed, highly prolific. But it has to be noted that City's offensive strategy over that period was focused almost entirely on creating opportunities for him to score. He also did little to disguise his hostility towards the manager responsible for his most productive period ever.

Following the withdrawal of his transfer request, his goal contribution was nothing remarkable, though the desire to win the Golden Boot did bring out a special performance in the last match of the season. At the end of the day, he shared the Golden Boot with Berbatov, who did not take penalties and who would be ranked by most observers as United's 3rd best striker.

Way back in November 2009, Tevez talked to the Argentine media about retiring after the World Cup - yes, last summer. No doubt much to the consternation of Joorabchian, he has continued to talk about early retirement even with a transfer request on the table (this incidentally disproves the convenient fiction created by Tevez fans that Joorabchian is responsible for any and all of his aberrations).

The repeated assertion that, even if he is forced to stay at City, he will always give 100% is at best a half truth: he will give a 100% for himself. Conclusive proof that he sees other strikers as rivals was provided by the disgraceful way he froze out Edin Dzeko last season: he passed just half a dozen times in total to Edin in the Premier League games against Wolves, Birmingham, Manchester United, West Brom, Fulham and Liverpool (source: Guardian Chalkboard). (I know I have pointed this out a few times! But no Tevez fan has ever addressed it.)

Tevez is worth what other teams would pay for him. The idea that top clubs would be competing fiercely for Tevez this summer was always a delusion. But what is astonishing is that the penny has still not dropped with some Tevez fans. They are so blinkered that they want only that he stay, even though he himself is desperate to leave and even though his staying could seriously impact on the team spirit that has been evident since Vincent Kompany took over as captain.

In contrast, Samuel Eto'o has always been and still is a class act! Edin, Kun and Mario would all benefit from the experience of playing with him for two or three seasons. The whole squad would benefit from his experience at the highest levels.
Good post :-)) You talk a lot of sense

30 is not old in the modern game. Advances in sports science and the medical and fitness facilities at elite clubs mean the mid to late 30s is acievable, even at the very top.
Look at the way the media wank over Giggs and Kevin Phillips.
Eto'o is better than both of them, one of the best global strikers of the last 30 years, and will still be banging them in at 34-45.
I would definitely take the deal with the write-off of the outstanding Mario debt.
The only thing that concerns me is ACON and the likelihood he would miss a month. Aren't there back to back ACON tournaments in consecutive years coming up as well?

Re: Re: Re: Tevez For Eto'o...Straight Swap?

r.soleofsalford said:
ANY1aBLUE said:
Limmer said:
I couldn't put it better. You just have to see how we played at the back end of last season and this pre season that we no longer rely on Tevez and there is a fluidity to our play without him that we can build on.

AT LAST! Someone talking a bit of sense. I've been saying all this for ages, but endured abuse for saying so.
We always looked a better 'team' without him. I never did understand the over-hyping of Tevez. Don't get me wrong, he's a very good player, perhaps world class, but some City fans, and management, are lauding him as some sort of demi-god and that we can't possibly do without him. This was reflected in how the team performed when he was playing - it inhibited their play.

There are better players out there, and the 'team' are better off without him and we should have got rid last January! Talk of 50m+ is utterly ludicrous.......
And another thing, Eto'o is over the hill and a depreciating asset.

this apart from missing the work rate of tevez
Eto'o has pretty much the highest work rate of any striker out there tbh.

Also, for those suggesting we should be expecting 40-50m for tevez are deluding themselves. On the plus side he is in his prime and is very talented and on the pitch, committed. On the negative side he is always moaning, switches clubs every 2 years, shows no commitment off the field, talks of retirement on too frequent a basis and wants to move back to argentina. Now corinthians don't have the money regardless of what they say and neither does any other south american club, so that leaves europe. Which european club in their right minds would pay the sort of money we are talking about with that hanging over them? His resale value would plummet or he will just retire so no value left anyway.

Lets be honest, we aren't having our door beaten down for him are we?

sbm said:
This thread highlights yet again the ignorance of many Tevez fans about his status in world football. He is currently 44th in the Castrol World Rankings. Having scored the same number of goals for Argentina as Aguero in twice the number of matches, he is at best the 3rd ranking of the Argentine strikers. He scored just 7 goals in 26 appearances for West Ham. Scoring 19 goals in 63 appearances for United, he was Ferguson's 3rd choice striker. From August 2009 to the end of November 2009, he scored just 2 premier league goals for City (both at home against West Ham).

From December 2009 to his transfer request in December 2010, he was, indeed, highly prolific. But it has to be noted that City's offensive strategy over that period was focused almost entirely on creating opportunities for him to score. He also did little to disguise his hostility towards the manager responsible for his most productive period ever.

Following the withdrawal of his transfer request, his goal contribution was nothing remarkable, though the desire to win the Golden Boot did bring out a special performance in the last match of the season. At the end of the day, he shared the Golden Boot with Berbatov, who did not take penalties and who would be ranked by most observers as United's 3rd best striker.

Way back in November 2009, Tevez talked to the Argentine media about retiring after the World Cup - yes, last summer. No doubt much to the consternation of Joorabchian, he has continued to talk about early retirement even with a transfer request on the table (this incidentally disproves the convenient fiction created by Tevez fans that Joorabchian is responsible for any and all of his aberrations).

The repeated assertion that, even if he is forced to stay at City, he will always give 100% is at best a half truth: he will give a 100% for himself. Conclusive proof that he sees other strikers as rivals was provided by the disgraceful way he froze out Edin Dzeko last season: he passed just half a dozen times in total to Edin in the Premier League games against Wolves, Birmingham, Manchester United, West Brom, Fulham and Liverpool (source: Guardian Chalkboard). (I know I have pointed this out a few times! But no Tevez fan has ever addressed it.)

Tevez is worth what other teams would pay for him. The idea that top clubs would be competing fiercely for Tevez this summer was always a delusion. But what is astonishing is that the penny has still not dropped with some Tevez fans. They are so blinkered that they want only that he stay, even though he himself is desperate to leave and even though his staying could seriously impact on the team spirit that has been evident since Vincent Kompany took over as captain.

In contrast, Samuel Eto'o has always been and still is a class act! Edin, Kun and Mario would all benefit from the experience of playing with him for two or three seasons. The whole squad would benefit from his experience at the highest levels.
That's a compelling piece of analysis. However, as the saying goes, there are some people - no matter how much you tell them - just won't be told.

LongsightM13 said:
I would definitely take the deal with the write-off of the outstanding Mario debt.
The only thing that concerns me is ACON and the likelihood he would miss a month. Aren't there back to back ACON tournaments in consecutive years coming up as well?

Good point re the ACON. That has to be a worry. The ACON takes place at a time of year when we often have a log-jam of games, so his absence would hit us particularly hard.

Saying that, I would love to see us sign him. He’s a wonderful player. Very intelligent, still got pace off the mark, an excellent finisher and works hard. He also looks comfortable coming deep for the ball. What I like about him most is his ability to place himself in the blind spot of the player marking him.

I would take him. He could be the difference in us winning the title or not. If we swapped for Tevez plus money, i would be more than happy with that. He has raw pace and he is a deadly finisher.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.