Tevez For Eto'o...Straight Swap?

jjeangi said:
^How much of a difference is that than Tevez who reportedly makes somewhere in that region and wants to leave football in 2-3 years.

You're neglecting everything else that Eto'o brings to the table. I don't know if you've ever played the game at any level but players learn from each other mate, even at the professional level. In interviews players also say this. Eto'o is so experienced, mate that our strikers could fookin' learn from him. His champions league experience is second to none and would provide that composure we could use.
I wouldn't mind Eto'o mate, very experienced player mate. Has scored goals wherever he's been mate, but with Mancio saying Tevez plus £20 mill is taking the piss mate.

The Goat 10 said:
Is he worth taking on on a £200,000 P/W contract with 3 years maximum left in the tank and the FFPR coming in.

Three years is much, much more likely to be a minimum rather than a maximum. Eto'o is one of the most spritely 30-year-old players I've ever seen, he is fast but just as important is intelligent and has great movement. Also he has had about one bad injury in his career and Sneijder would be more of a risk than Eto'o despite being 3 years younger.

pudge said:
jjeangi said:
^How much of a difference is that than Tevez who reportedly makes somewhere in that region and wants to leave football in 2-3 years.

You're neglecting everything else that Eto'o brings to the table. I don't know if you've ever played the game at any level but players learn from each other mate, even at the professional level. In interviews players also say this. Eto'o is so experienced, mate that our strikers could fookin' learn from him. His champions league experience is second to none and would provide that composure we could use.
I wouldn't mind Eto'o mate, very experienced player mate. Has scored goals wherever he's been mate, but with Mancio saying Tevez plus £20 mill is taking the piss mate.
You say 'mate' a lot mate :P

jjeangi said:

I don't doubt his experience/ability lad, but the main positive of Tevez leaving was getting his obscene wages of the wage bill, to then plonk a 30 year old right back on it on the same wage is risky (FFP) IMO.

From Thursday's Times...

Roberto Mancini puts pressure on City to sign Samuel Eto’o in swap with Carlos Tévez

Carlos Tévez’s desire to leave Manchester City could see him become part of Roberto Mancini’s persistent efforts to sign Samuel Eto’o.

Tévez was due to return to the club today to start pre-season training after playing for Argentina in the Copa América, but the unsettled forward has been given more time off. A City official said yesterday that “we expect him back on Thursday”, but it later emerged that Mancini had given him until Monday to report back.

It means that an unlikely appearance for Tévez against Manchester United, his former club, in the Community Shield at Wembley on Sunday, has been ruled out.

In the meantime, the City manager hopes to make headway in persuading the club’s board to request Eto’o, the Inter Milan forward, in part-exchange for Tévez rather than a straight cash deal. A £40 million deal with Corinthians, of Brazil, collapsed last month.

The City hierarchy has deep misgivings about signing the 30-year-old Cameroon player, in view of both his age and a previous outlay of £86 million on three centre forwards over the past 12 months. But with Inter eager to sign Tévez and willing to offload high earners such as Eto’o and Wesley Sneijder, Mancini believes a swap deal would be the perfect solution.

In a surprising development, it emerged last night that Tottenham Hotspur have registered an interest in Eto’o. There appears little possibility that the London club could meet the player’s wage demands, but they have twice held discussions with Marco Branca, the Inter sporting director.

Eto’o would prefer a move to London over Manchester — and Tottenham would be his only option, with no interest from Arsenal or Chelsea — but City appear the only feasible Premier League destination at this point.

City’s recruitment strategy is formulated by their “player acquisition group”, on which Mancini sits with Brian Marwood, the club’s football administrator, and Mike Rigg, the technical director.
Mancini’s enthusiasm for signing Eto’o is not shared throughout the club, but he is determined that they consider the matter again as well as continuing their pursuit of Samir Nasri, the Arsenal midfield player. Mancini believes that Inter’s interest in Tévez, who says he wants to find a new club to be closer to his family, represents an opportunity.

The City board believes, however, that after expensive deals to sign Mario Balotelli last summer and Edin Dzeko in January, the recent £35 million acquisition of Sergio Agüero should represent the end of the tinkering with the forward line. City have still to offload Emmanuel Adebayor, Craig Bellamy and Roque Santa Cruz, none of whom is in Mancini’s plans for the coming season.

Although Inter have denied holding an interest in Tévez, they are understood to be keen on securing his acquisition, particularly in a swap deal with Eto’o, despite the former Barcelona forward performing well since joining from the Catalan club in the summer of 2009.
After complaints from Balotelli, as well as Tévez, about the quality of life in Manchester, Eric Cantona, the former United forward, urged players to focus on the opportunities that the city’s clubs afford them. “I had a great time in Manchester,” the Frenchman said. “I cannot understand anyone not liking it.”

Cantona, making a return to Manchester in his capacity of director of football at the New York Cosmos, will play in Paul Scholes’s testimonial match at Old Trafford tomorrow.

Don't understand all this animosity.

Seems to me like there's just as much risk with Tevez's homesickness/agent/craziness as there is with Eto'o's age.

If we got 40m cash, who would we get as good as Eto'o? Better stated, where can we get a forward who can play wide and score 37 goals and 15 assists? Players like Aguero rarely come up for sale, even 30-year-old ones.

There are a lot of big clubs who won't even take a chance on Tevez because of his previous problems. Do we really want to take an overweight and disgruntled player into a make-or-break season for us? I don't.

jjeangi said:
I think you're right LC, I think Mancini wants to play as an example:

---------------Silva---------------
Eto'o---------Aguero----------Balo

best attack in world football*

*Barca excluded, of course.
I just hope we use Kun as a spearhead like you have put above, or at least as a second striker. He is very good out wide, but not nearly as effective as playing through the middle, IMO.

Andouble said:
jjeangi said:
I think you're right LC, I think Mancini wants to play as an example:

---------------Silva---------------
Eto'o---------Aguero----------Balo

best attack in world football*

*Barca excluded, of course.
I just hope we use Kun as a spearhead like you have put above, or at least as a second striker. He is very good out wide, but not nearly as effective as playing through the middle, IMO.

Put that attack out there, game over, turn off the lights, it's a wrap.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.