'That' banner going in the national football museum?

bluemanc said:
LongsightM13 said:
scowy68 said:
I find it a bit pathetic that some of the rags fans had called for it to be replaced with a new one,how sad are these people.I'm pleased we haven't resorted to putting one up at our ground as was suggested on here in the past.You really wouldn't want to be as pathetic as these morons would you?

Although i do think the Mancunian section banner in the away at Old Trafford for the derby a few seasons ago was funny,and has there ever been a big bite from a poster as the one we got with the Tevez welcome to Manchester one?

Doesn't take a lot to put one over on our red friends lol!

Was told last night the 'new' banner will say 19-43
How dismal, how sad. The football world has turned on them. Everyone can see they are clutching at straws and they come out of it looking a little sad, pathetic and desperate.
1943 is 5yrs before they completed 37yrs wihout a Trophy:)

Every text I have had from them going on about 43, just replied, laughed, and said sad, small time, obsessed. Funnily enough no responses.

I don't mind if it goes in the museum - at the time, it did it's job, and it was funny (begrudgingly).

This Tufty person does seem to be a mega tool though, and in a rare moment of clarity, even the other rags seems to despise him. His comments on twitter about getting world wide interest in the banner suggest that he will do anything to try and prolong his 15 minutes - maybe he could team up with boyle and they could do some sort of rag performing arts to the unfortunate souls of Ireland, Norway, and Singapore?

Also, I googled 19-43 and one of the matches was to a bible verse, from Luke:

The time will come when enemy armies will build a wall to surround you and close you in on every side

Now in the style of "The Omen", that sounds quite prophetic to me, if you see us as the enemy army closing in on them!

If they put anything up about us I for one will find it piss funny no matter what is on the thing, it will be difficult for them to call us obsessed when so much time and effort has been spent discussing what they do with the old banner. For me it can go in a museum it is history, just a pity they can't put the whole fucking club in there as well. I did think the banner was brilliant, it wound us up and gave us new songs in many respects it was almost as good as the welcome to manchester poster. Keep thinking that that should get another airing with the fa cup on it but somethings are best left as originals without a sequel.

matkil72 said:
Also, I googled 19-43 and one of the matches was to a bible verse, from Luke:

The time will come when enemy armies will build a wall to surround you and close you in on every side

Now in the style of "The Omen", that sounds quite prophetic to me, if you see us as the enemy army closing in on them!

Thats brilliant, I really hope the sad fuckers put it up now.

Andrew Kilduff or 'Tufty' is a former evertonian who turned to united when they became successful. The majority of rags are embarrassed by him and cannot stand the twat.

he was one of the reds in the cafe in Blue Moon Rising.

This post was on the MUEN in response to the article. It's a bit long, but the best post I've ever read on there so bear with it....... (BTW, I think they should have kept the banner up & I'm hoping they replace it with something equally as brain-numbing, because it will act as the best incentive for us to hit them where it hurts, City Success after City Success)

Varelapinto, Dukinfield (18/05/2011 at 09:35)

Most of the esteemed Blues posting on these pages are missing an important point. "That" banner has never been about banter; it has never been a mere representation of Man United's success or anything as trivial as a boast.

Whether they like to admit it or not, a vast amount of United fans were progressively attracted during the nineties, an era when Sky television transformed the face of English football and chose the Stretford club as its chief mascot which it set about transforming into global brand. The fact that BskyB invested a considerable amount of money in club shares may have had something to do with that particular decision, but I digress.

I do not wish to suggest that all United fans are fickle glory hunters that have seldom or never set foot in Old Trafford or anywhere near Manchester for that matter; in the past few days I had the opportunity to come across very gracious posts on City pages, from red fans congratulating the Blue half for the FA Cup win and Champions League qualification. There is no way to be certain but I imagine that most of these came from long-serving reds who have been following the club through thick and thin... Particularly the pre-1993 days when you could find less people at Old Trafford than you can today at a Will Young concert.

Unfortunately, the post-93 era brought that different breed of fan which I previously made reference to: the glory hunters, for which the club's success is seen as compensation for everything that has ever gone wrong in their lives. The glory hunter gets inebriated by counting the league titles the cups, the champions leagues, charity shields and European supercups. And he does it very often. It makes up for the dead end job, the nasty teacher, the pimples and black heads, the tyrannical boss, the girlfriend you just cannot get. It alleviates the frustration caused by each premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction, losing your hair and the beer gut you just can't get rid of. United's titles mean so much to the glory hunter because he has nothing to do with them, it is one thing that he can't mess up.

This is exactly what drives a playground bully to pick on smaller kids: he is all to aware of his own inadequacies and takes solace in inflicting pain and humiliation on someone who is very often defenceless, some small kid who is no match for the stocky bully. And so the harassment continues, the bully perfectly aware that the smaller kids will never be in a position to challenge his reigning over the playground.

This is the mindset behind the 35 years banner. It was erected nine years ago, a time when Manchester City were just back in the Premier League and Kevin Keegan was the manager who had plunged the club into the red to bring in players like Jon Macken, David Sommeil and Antoine Sibierski. Tougher times followed, the Blues flirting with relegation on a couple of occasions. In those years, City were an easy target for glory hunter United fans who took immense pleasure in putting us down, never imagining that we would one day stand up to them. The playing field was slanted and even hard-core Blues fans would never be able to imagine what would happen later in the decade. The banner went up and the years ticked on.

What the glory hunter bullies never imagined is that the Blue kids would one day receive a big box of vitamins, courtesy of an uncle from Abu Dhabi. Overnight the blues kids grew muscles and all of a sudden they were capable of fighting back. The field was level now... And that's what these people cannot deal with. Yes they have another title but it does not feel the same somehow, the joy of mocking the neighbours has been taken away. A true fan revels in wins and trophies; humiliating City has become quintessential of Glory Hunters. They miss it and haven't learned to live without it, hence the rumours of a new banner, the incessant empty jibes about City "buying" success, Tevez leaving, Sheikh Mansour moving on, the financial "fair play" rules... the list is endless.

City have, of course, a lot of ground to make up if they are ever to overtake United in absolute honours. The gulf in titles won is, as it stands, immense as they keep reminding us- but I do not know a single City fan that gives a damn. The indisputable fact is that City are now in a position to take a fight to the neighbours and be more than a match for them. It may take a while to upset the establishment a bit further and take that last step towards greatness but sooner or later, City matches will be played over 97 minutes if need be.

Hi Mike
Great work on the Amrik Gill story but i doubt we've seen the last of him.
Mike i read your article with interest.I'd just like to clear up one or two slight errors,the first one is that the banner that is up now is NOT the original banner that was taken down over 4 yrs ago.
The 2 reasons were firstly as with all the other banners the owners refused to have them at the ground while the Glaziers were in control the 2nd was that a utd Historian had informed the club that seeing as utd had themselves gone 37yrs without a Trophy it would make the club look foolish if this remained so it was gong to be removed anyway.
I would also like to point out that Mr Kilduff aka Tufty the self appointed banner supremo as he is known on most utd message board including redissue is as popular with utd fans as ronnie irani which takes some doing.
I find it kinda funny how wounded they were when we put up a Welcome To Manchester poster & how smalltime fergie said we were but they continue with this,as the saying goes "He who laughs last laughs loudest",they may regret starting this.
Cheers mike,

The above was an e-mail i sent to Mike Keegan the journo who wrote that but also helped nail that amrik gill.

Thanks

You're not the only person to make that point - next time I do anything on it I'll be sure to make that distinction.

Cheers

Mike
Mike replied pretty quick,sometimes it's best to just send an e-mail to clear things up,i think next time tufty tries to get a story printed it will be looked at closely.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.