Thatcher dead

malg said:
mackenzie said:
malg said:
Rags of the political system. Full of hatred and bile.

No, just not wanting to be hypocrites.

I find that quite laudable to be honest.
Not really, it just shows how little class they have. When all is said and done, an ex-PM has died, and they're acting like spoilt children. Like I said, Rags of the political system.

An ex PM has died. Exactly.

Quite a lot of ex PMs have died without this kind of parlimentary nonesense. Let those who want to take part. I have more respect for those who've had the courage not to be hypocritical and stayed away.

Thatcher was largely before my time which is why I haven't really got involved much in this thread.

From what I've read & heard she championed the rights and ambitions of the individual rather than state-control of the masses, and I will always admire that type of political mindset.

Also, people slag off the Poll Tax as being unfair, but I can't see how on earth this tax in principle is unfair. Each person has to pay the same for local services. Sounds pretty fair to me.

crystal_mais said:
PJMCC1UK said:
Don't know if it has been posted but makes interesting reading.

http://theboyphelan.blogspot.ca/2010/06/myths-and-miners-strike.html?m=1

very interesting read. Sure PB summarised this earlier
I hadn't seen that particular piece but funnily enough I was just re-reading her autobiography to refresh my memory and was just on the Miners Strike. Those self-same figures were quoted there as well so I think whoever wrote that blog picked those up from the book.

It (the book) talks about Scargill's guile and Ian Macgregor's lack of it. At one point, after the strike started, the NCB and NUM held their first meeting. No one but Scargill was allowed to speak for the NUM and he reiterated his opposition to pit closures other than on the grounds of exhaustion or geological reasons and that unless the NCB agreed to this, there was nothing more to say.

At that point, Macgregor suggested that they should keep the lines of communication open between a small group but Scargill said that he would only talk if they agreed to his pre-condition of pit closures. Naturally the NCB refused to do that and the talks ended. As they got up, Scargill apaprently asked if the NUM could continue to use that room for a private discussion and Macgregor agreed as it seemed a reasonable request. So the NCB team went out and spoke to the waiting media

However, when the NUM finally left the room and met the waiting media, Scargill then claimed the NCB had refused to meet any of their requests and had walked out.

The other interesting thing is that they had put together a very generous redundancy package and (according to Thatcher) did not anticipate any compulsory redundancies needing to be made, as they calculated that the required job losses would all be met by voluntary redundancy, mainly involving the men who'd done 30 years and would have been retiring soon anyway. Any sensible union leader might well have huffed and puffed and won some extra concessions but would have ultimately agreed on the basis of no compulsory redundancies. But not our Arthur. He wanted a fight.

Like her or hate her it's disgusting they are going to spend over £10 million on her funeral when they have been cutting spending and taking money off the most vulnerable people in the country and then having the cheek to say "We can afford it". Fucking joke this country.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.