Thatcher dead

Sheikh said:
malg said:
Ducado said:
I have refrained from posting in this thread, mainly because some of the nonsense being posted was not really worth arguing with, people have their own realities and some of them are a lot different than mine

I am in my mid 40’s I left school at the height of the recession in the 80’s and yes things were very grim, hardly a day went by without news of some factory or other closing down , I had a short period of unemployment, but have been in work ever since, and so has every member of my family, and here is the strange thing out of the people I went to school with everyone I still know about have done OK for themselves, and we were all working class, so not everything is as some people like to paint it.

Another fact is that during her periods in office the North West had loads of Tory MP’s, they only started to lose them from 92 onwards, and it included many areas of Greater Manchester, strange that working class people voted for her and actually liked her, and that included many Union members.

Her biggest problem (and it alluded to by quite a few) is that she was a very high achiever, and this was her blind spot, she thought that if she could do it everyone could! Unfortunately not everyone is as motivated to the degree she was.

I don’t think everything she did was right not by a long shot, but much of what the left blame her for would have happened anyway and it was happening anyway, and that whoever was in power would have had to take measures that were very painful.

I honestly think some people are just following along with the vocal minority, and are not in full possession of all the facts, and paraphrase Morrissey “It’s so easy to hate”
I honestly think you're right.
I honestly think you're right about Ducado's honest post if I'm being honest.

I honestly think both of you are wrong about Ducado's sincere but wrong post.

This could turn into another Mancini thread......................

mammutly said:
Ducado said:
Her biggest problem (and it alluded to by quite a few) is that she was a very high achiever, and this was her blind spot, she thought that if she could do it everyone could! Unfortunately not everyone is as motivated to the degree she was.

The other, rather obvious, problem with that is there can, by definition, only be a few very high achievers.

Under Thatcher, the gains of the few came at the cost of the many. The notion that any one of that 'many' could theoretically climb to the same heights doesn't detract from the fact that the majority never could.

The simple fact that also gets missed is that even though we had high unemployment, there were far more people in work than out of work (which is still the case today) I am not sure that many actually paid a high price, I would say that many did very well out of her time in office.

And like I said it would have happened anyway, there is no escaping it

hilts said:
Ducado said:
I have refrained from posting in this thread, mainly because some of the nonsense being posted was not really worth arguing with, people have their own realities and some of them are a lot different than mine

I am in my mid 40’s I left school at the height of the recession in the 80’s and yes things were very grim, hardly a day went by without news of some factory or other closing down , I had a short period of unemployment, but have been in work ever since, and so has every member of my family, and here is the strange thing out of the people I went to school with everyone I still know about have done OK for themselves, and we were all working class, so not everything is as some people like to paint it.

Another fact is that during her periods in office the North West had loads of Tory MP’s, they only started to lose them from 92 onwards, and it included many areas of Greater Manchester, strange that working class people voted for her and actually liked her, and that included many Union members.

I don’t think everything she did was right not by a long shot, but much of what the left blame her for would have happened anyway and it was happening anyway, and that whoever was in power would have had to take measures that were very painful.

I honestly think some people are just following along with the vocal minority, and are not in full possession of all the facts, and paraphrase Morrissey “It’s so easy to hate”

Sometimes it is just easier to blame Thatcher it was the thing to do in the 80's, we are of similar ages and my experiences are the same, i honestly don't know of any one of my mates, lads i went to school with or blokes from the boozer who have been out of work for any length of time.

Passing the buck is a british pass time

In that case you might have learnt something if you had worked in an Unemployment Benefit Office in the early 80's.

mackenzie said:
hilts said:
Ducado said:

Sometimes it is just easier to blame Thatcher it was the thing to do in the 80's, we are of similar ages and my experiences are the same, i honestly don't know of any one of my mates, lads i went to school with or blokes from the boozer who have been out of work for any length of time.

In that case you might have learnt something if you had worked in an Unemployment Benefit Office in the early 80's.

I guess all those working class lads around me must have just been been lucky then eh, although in fairness a couple did get gcse's in geography, must have been head hunted by ICL

I dont remember the media making much of a fuss when Harold Wilson died.Never liked her and i enjoyed the day she lost her job as the leader of are country.

Ducado said:
mammutly said:
Ducado said:

The other, rather obvious, problem with that is there can, by definition, only be a few very high achievers.

Under Thatcher, the gains of the few came at the cost of the many. The notion that any one of that 'many' could theoretically climb to the same heights doesn't detract from the fact that the majority never could.

The simple fact that also gets missed is that even though we had high unemployment, there were far more people in work than out of work (which is still the case today) I am not sure that many actually paid a high price, I would say that many did very well out of her time in office.

Many paid with their livelihood, quite a lot paid with their lives. The alienation of so many and the social despair were all very real. How much you personally were affected may have depended on where you live.

hilts said:
mackenzie said:
hilts said:

I guess all those working class lads around me must have just been been lucky then eh, although in fairness a couple did get gcse's in geography, must have been head hunted by ICL

Perhaps they WERE lucky. I dealt with many in their mid 40's/ early 50's who never worked again. Many with specific skills where the industry had been decimated. There was no training for other jobs, they were just left on the scrapheap.

baildon blue said:
I dont remember the media making much of a fuss when Harold Wilson died.Never liked her and i enjoyed the day she lost her job as the leader of are country.

In fairness the media coverage you get is down to your impact, John Major wont get much either

hilts said:
baildon blue said:

In fairness the media coverage you get is down to your impact, John Major wont get much either

I thought the media coverage you get was down to Rupert Murdoch

Ducado said:
mammutly said:
Ducado said:

I'm afraid that you 'saying it' doesn't make it right. Many paid a very high price indeed.
While I respect your opinion, millions disagree with you, most from what would be described as the North of the UK. Those that are truly great aren't despised by millions.....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.