Thatcher dead

Prestwich_Blue said:
Juan King said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
And what about the miners in the pits shut down under Labour in the 1960's & 70's? In 1964, when Labour came to power, there were 545 working mines. In 1979, when Thatcher came to power, there were just 219. So Labour closed 326 mines, which is twice as many as closed under Thatcher.

Is it better to be thrown on the scrapheap by Labour than by Tories then?

Neither mate. You are abviously a Tory, so fair play to you. Thatcher did more harm to where I live than any good that she ever did. In my mind she was a cnut. If she helped you, then fair does, but I hate her.
I'm not a Tory and she made little difference to me one way or the other to be honest. By the time she went, she'd become a parody of herself and I was glad to see the back of her. But I'm sick of all the inaccurate myths being trotted out to justify people's hatred of her.

Inaccurate myths? I know people first hand, who's lives were severley affected by Thatcher. People had to set up food banks to feed their kids. Pits closed, no dole money because they had been on strike then once the pits were shut nothing to replace them. She wrote off lots of places that had relied on mining.

Also, she shut down pits that were profitable. Could that have been to spite them for crossing her?

Do you not remember her also casting lots of mentally ill people onto the streets to save money ?

Juan King said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
Juan King said:
Neither mate. You are abviously a Tory, so fair play to you. Thatcher did more harm to where I live than any good that she ever did. In my mind she was a cnut. If she helped you, then fair does, but I hate her.
I'm not a Tory and she made little difference to me one way or the other to be honest. By the time she went, she'd become a parody of herself and I was glad to see the back of her. But I'm sick of all the inaccurate myths being trotted out to justify people's hatred of her.

Inaccurate myths? I know people first hand, who's lives were severley affected by Thatcher. People had to set up food banks to feed their kids. Pits closed, no dole money because they had been on strike then once the pits were shut nothing to replace them. She wrote off lots of places that had relied on mining.

Also, she shut down pits that were profitable. Could that have been to spite them for crossing her?

Do you not remember her also casting lots of mentally ill people onto the streets to save money ?
I'm not claiming she was a paragon and I'm not arguing with the fact that many people were badly affected during her time in power. She did lots of things i didn't agree with. I'm pointing out that Labour shut lots of pits and steelworks. There were just under 300 pits open in 1979 and 75% were loss making. All of those were shut by 1990 leaving about 70 profitable pits.

The perceived orthodoxy seems to be that in 1979 we were a great & prosperous little country that just needed a bit of tinkering but she blundered in and ripped all that apart. Well weren't that prosperous little country. We were already in decline and the Labour government was already doing things (like closing pits and tightening the money supply) that she was accused of starting.

Moving on, Im looking forward to next week's Private Eye cover. I'll be disappointed if they dont mark the occasion with a 'tribute' to Thatcher.

I fell asleep after 10 minutes of QT (due to tiredness not boredom). Is the rest of the show worth catching on i-player or shall I give it a miss?

Mike N said:
Moving on, Im looking forward to next week's Private Eye cover. I'll be disappointed if they dont mark the occasion with a 'tribute' to Thatcher.
Oh my life, that will be a brilliant edition. I'll certainly be putting plenty of clips on the Private Eye thread.

foxy said:
I fell asleep after 10 minutes of QT (due to tiredness not boredom). Is the rest of the show worth catching on i-player or shall I give it a miss?

It's worth watching if only because a lot of what gets aired is stuff that has been debated in this thread. If question time had featured PB, Skash, Nimrod, GDM and Rasc it might have turned out much the same way.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.