The 2012 Olympics Thread - Its Over :(

Re: The 2012 Olympics Thread (9th August, Page 219)

Ducado said:
What the hell is up with the BBC tonight its all civil rights I thought they were covering the Olympics

It's black power night!

Just done a bit on nature/nurture in relation to black sprinters. Quite interesting to see how dim Denise Lewis is. :-)

Gaylord du Bois said:
I think Blakes got this one and its warm enough for the record to go me thinks.

hahaha no chance.

Bolt usually gets a slow start yet still pisses the hundred metres, he has a extra 100 metres to smash the lead even further.

Bluemoon dan said:
Feed-The-Goat said:
Bluemoon dan said:
Did I just hear that right on the tv then? The American bloke in the 400metres relay broke his leg after about 200 metres and still finished?????

Yep, you heard right.

Ran the 2nd 200 meters with a snapped leg.

Lad.

Christ. Puts the paper cut I got in work today into persepective. It did hurt tho.

You think thats tough? Read about the Pankration in the Ancient Greek Olympics:

“With understandable pride and satisfaction, Coubertin saw his cherished goal at last within reach. ‘The Olympic idea,’ he eloquently declared, ‘has traversed the mists of the ages like an all-powerful ray of sunlight and returned to illumine the threshold of the twentieth century with a gleam of joyous hope.”
In the last 1800s, privileged and educated Europeans with a zest for ancient Greekdom, envisioned and instigated the modern Olympic Games. But, of course, the popularity of the Olympic Games is a tale of millennia. In this entertaining and well-researched history of the ancient Games and their revival in modern times, Benson Bobrick dispels a lot of the modern misguided ideas of what had actually taken place every four years in ancient Greece:

“A very different combined contact sport called pankration was introduced in 648 BC. Its name essentially means ‘anything goes.’ It combined boxing and wrestling and was the fiercest of all events. There were few rules and almost no holds were barred. You could kick, strangle, and even beat your opponent to death if you had to. About the only thing you couldn’t do was bite him or gouge out his eyes. The bout went on for as it took someone to win, which happened – short of death – when an opponent was beaten senseless or signaled his surrender by raising the finger of one hand.”

Yes, indeed. The romantic notion that the ancient Games were all about goodwill and about performing well, instead of winning, takes quite a beating here.

“It was humiliating enough to be beaten, but unsuccessful athletes were also sometimes mocked and ridiculed. ‘Losers crept back to their mothers through dark alleys in embarrassment and shame,’ wrote the Greek poet Pindar. They might even be singled out as pathetic for all time. This happened to one boxer named Apis, whose opponents set up a mock statue to him ‘because he never hurt anyone.’

“Some would rather die than suffer that fate. In 564 BC, a two-time defending Olympic champion in the pankration was on the verge of being strangled to death when he got a good grip on his opponent’s foot. With a tremendous final effort, he broke it – just as he himself expired. His opponent, in agony, unaware of his own triumph, raised his finger to signal his own defeat – and the victory went to the dead man.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://richiespicks.pbworks.com/w/page/55329496/A%20PASSION%20FOR%20VICTORY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://richiespicks.pbworks.com/w/page/ ... %20VICTORY</a>

Died in the process, but still won. Like a boss.

Bolt in a new World Record time.

Not had a track World Record in the athletics until tonight and it could be 2 in the last 2 races.

The 2012 Olympics Thread (9th August, Page 219)

Gelsons Dad said:
Ducado said:
What the hell is up with the BBC tonight its all civil rights I thought they were covering the Olympics

It's black power night!

Just done a bit on nature/nurture in relation to black sprinters. Quite interesting to see how dim Denise Lewis is. :-)
It was all a bit embarrassing and patronising but I expect nothing else the commentary had been the worst I have ever heard

chesterbells said:
jimharri said:
chesterbells said:
Absolutely lovin these Olympics the last week, in fact ever since the cycling road race a week last Saturday, ive been hooked on it every day. So much so, I cant get excited at all by the new football season, tbh.

Shame Stockport's finest Keri-Anne Pyne didnt grab a medal in the marathon swim earlier. Was looking forward to seeing her on the sofa with Gabby later.
Some terribly filthy mental images spring to mind!

*Checks google for professional counsellors*

Ha Ha, I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind as I wrote it - in fact I think I'll dwell on it a while I listen to Denise.

On a completely different matter, u got any knowledge of Achill island pal?
Afraid not; it's about 60 or 70 miles away from me. Google would be able to tell you more about it than I would.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.