The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Hopefully that 11 will offset the - 1 it might get from another listener!

Levi Stubbs Tears should be a much better known song than it is. It peaked at no 29 in the charts on a week when "Its 'orrible being in love when you're eight and a half" managed to make the top 20.

The 12 inch b-side had a really good reimagining of Walk Away Renee on it.

Love BB. You’re right about the b-side it is definitely worth checking out if you are taken with the album. I’m sure it will bring back memories to the FOC’s of their ‘courting’ days with ‘bus conductors collecting fares’ etc. even the abrupt ending is a reminder of how fickle ‘love’ was in adolescence. Unfortunately it’s not a song you will have on repeat but for a one off listen, it’s definitely worth your time.

A quality album from the "Bard of Barking".
As was said, he is certainly abit "marmite"...and I love marmite (especially with a nice bit of Cheshire/Lancashire cheese).
I have to give this a 10 and it would have been an 11 if it also included my other fave (besides Levi Stubbs') "Between the Wars"
Great choice @threespires

Love BB. You’re right about the b-side it is definitely worth checking out if you are taken with the album. I’m sure it will bring back memories to the FOC’s of their ‘courting’ days with ‘bus conductors collecting fares’ etc. even the abrupt ending is a reminder of how fickle ‘love’ was in adolescence. Unfortunately it’s not a song you will have on repeat but for a one off listen, it’s definitely worth your time.

Spot on @trotsky, it's more of a monologue with a backing track rather than a song you'd listen to over and over but even now that curt ending makes me smile, so true what you say about the fickleness of adolescent love.

A quality album from the "Bard of Barking".
As was said, he is certainly abit "marmite"...and I love marmite (especially with a nice bit of Cheshire/Lancashire cheese).
I have to give this a 10 and it would have been an 11 if it also included my other fave (besides Levi Stubbs') "Between the Wars"
This is your first vote since Week #1 (my choice, The Lonesome Jubilee, also a 10).

You should vote more often.

If Morrissey and Elvis Costello had a musical love child..

That is more of a philosophical comparison than a musical-sound one.

It would have been an 11 if it also included my other fave (besides Levi Stubbs') "Between the Wars"

Between the Wars and Shipbuilding are probably my two favourite songs of that type. I like a shouty protest song as much as the next person but there is something special about the sadness and quiet anger of those two songs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.