The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Their best album. Sounds like their label mates My Bloody Valentine but where Loveless sounded like a mermaid falling into a black hole, Definitely Maybe sounded like fag ends swirling around in a pint glass that's been shook up - in the best way. A proper rock and roll record made by (at the time) a sensitive young songwriter with a football fan in his heart and his loutish brother who hides nothing of his yobbish nature. This is as good as it got.

8/10.

Think that pretty much sums it up. That's what people saw in them. That's what made them so popular. 'More' than music. When the music itself was imo fairly mundane.

Their best album. Sounds like their label mates My Bloody Valentine but where Loveless sounded like a mermaid falling into a black hole, Definitely Maybe sounded like fag ends swirling around in a pint glass that's been shook up - in the best way. A proper rock and roll record made by (at the time) a sensitive young songwriter with a football fan in his heart and his loutish brother who hides nothing of his yobbish nature. This is as good as it got.

8/10.
While I don’t think I agree with the imagery associated with either of these bands, well done for coming up with them!

OT (sorry I know there was a thread about this, but so what), I saw this today:

Personally I would say Eddie VH is the greatest ever, and it's nice to see some love for Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and this list is missing Bob Mould, and Pete Townshend should be higher up . . . but my most visceral reaction was HOW THE FUCKING FUCK DOES THE EDGE MAKE THIS LIST????

Quite a few I’ve never heard of. Chuck Berry was influential but number 2 ? No Steve Howe or Steve Hackett. Each to their own I suppose

Reactions: OB1
Be really interesting to look at the ages of the high and low scorers on this one. Obviously they really rode and to some degree defined the zeitgeist at that moment. I suspect I was simply a bit too old and had heard a bit too much to buy into it. I don't know if I'd have been in my teens or early twenties whether they'd have resonated more.

My dad died a couple of months before this was released and in a sense that had aged me a little bit further by the time this arrived. Anyway I'm drifting into context I said I would ignore.
I'm a young 53 ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.