The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Thank You.
For that matter, where’s Gary and how the fook does the Hedge get considered ahead of both of them.
Even fucking Gibson had to acknowledge Rory on their Rop 50 guitarists and I'm not sure he ever held one*............

* Although pre-warning that The Edge has yet again made the list and Clapton is rated at 4 FFS!

Even fucking Gibson had to acknowledge Rory on their Rop 50 guitarists and I'm not sure he ever held one*............

* Although pre-warning that The Edge has yet again made the list and Clapton is rated at 4 FFS!
Listen. There’s people on that list that I really like as artists but as guitarists I wouldn’t have them any way close to Rory. Or Gary for that matter.

The list looks more to do with how popular a band was, for the most part.

Whys Duane Eddy not on that list ? Absolute legend who inspired the likes of Clapton, Page and Townshend to name a few. And no Dave Davies or Hank Marvin either. Proper American heavy poll which makes it more head scratching why Eddy isn't on it. Back to Definitely Maybe. The album which restored Manchester back to the top of the music pile..and City fans to boot. Exceptional, another that's in my top 10 albums. 9.5/10.
Edit: No Johnny Marr either. For some reason I thought he was on it, but on reading it again he isn't:(

Last edited:
Be really interesting to look at the ages of the high and low scorers on this one. Obviously they really rode and to some degree defined the zeitgeist at that moment. I suspect I was simply a bit too old and had heard a bit too much to buy into it. I don't know if I'd have been in my teens or early twenties whether they'd have resonated more.

My dad died a couple of months before this was released and in a sense that had aged me a little bit further by the time this arrived. Anyway I'm drifting into context I said I would ignore.
Im 66. I listened to this back in 94 when I will have been 37. I remember it made me feel young again. Still Love Oasis.

I think I’m going to be very unpopular, this round.
I’m on first listen and I’m struggling.
I’ll try my best to get through this as objectively as possible and put some coherent thoughts together, but listening to Liam Gallagher is not my idea of fun.
Mine either, he just grates on me. I just can't do a full album. Plus the music is all so simple and predictable I can't take it that seriously, although I accept it was important to the kids back then (but I wasn't a kid).
Shakermaker annoyed me, nicking most of the melody from "I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing" by the New Seekers (used on the Coke advert in the 70's) and Liam wanting to build a house from plasticine. (let's see, what rhymes with "been").
I do give Noel G a bit of a nod for settling out of court to the tune of half a million dollars to The New Seekers who probably couldn't afford a court case.
It all just seems so contrived and "inspired" by previous musicians, but this time using Liam's snarling attack dog vocal delivery.
Whilst I appreciate Oasis were very popular but I just couldn't take them seriously (still can't).
When put up against a certain "classic" album like Forever Changes, it is completely outdone in terms of ideas, composition and lyrics.
Mainly due to immature chords and ideas, (I can only judge it on the music, and whether it appeals to me) so for me it's a 5.

Shakermaker was a joke it wasn’t pinched off any one from the get-go, they said it was fun, there’s only eight notes Noel wrote some great songs I would give DM max points up there with the best of British music.
It's officially been nicked from The New Seekers. They sued. And won.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.