The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

List is a bit of a joke: they don’t even include Ritchie Blackmore.
Jokes aside how Tommy Emmanuel isn't in the top 10 let alone top 50 is somewhat bizarre.

Finger picking good to quote Colonial Sanders.

I might be a tad parochial but Chet Atkins labelled him the best guitarist on the planet and that is enough for me.

Like all masters of their craft he would want to cover a master piece on guitar namely Classical Gas.

For those on here that by some chance haven't had the pleasure of listening to him I suggest you check him out.

Shakermaker was a joke it wasn’t pinched off any one from the get-go, they said it was fun, there’s only eight notes Noel wrote some great songs I would give DM max points up there with the best of British music.
Is that a "10"? Sorry for being pedantic, but for consistency with previous votes/comments, I need to see you post the number if you want it to count.

It's officially been nicked from The New Seekers. They sued. And won.
I genuinely didn't know that yet whenever I hear the song, I absolutely know it is a rip off of "Id Like to Teach The World To Sing". I'd always thought that but never did any reading around it, so I'm glad that @Bill Walker 's post has vindicated me!

That's not really how it works. While I agree on the song itself, simply 'winning' a case like that isn't always 'proof' of intentional/conscious plagiarism. Speaking generally, rather than about this one.
Agreed. I was reading an interview with Steve Earle once. He said that these days, it's accepted that many songwriters will come up with what sounds like a copy of a previous song completely innocently. As you suggest, they just sort it out in court with an appropriate percentage of royalties going to the original artist.

Is that a "10"? Sorry for being pedantic, but for consistency with previous votes/comments, I need to see you post the number if you want it to count.

I genuinely didn't know that yet whenever I hear the song, I absolutely know it is a rip off of "Id Like to Teach The World To Sing". I'd always thought that but never did any reading around it, so I'm glad that @Bill Walker 's post has vindicated me!

Yes it’s so obvious that it copied the same melody that I hear it as just a different light hearted take rather than try and I hide some sort of plagiarism- I mentioned it in my review as I knew someone would highlight it - believe really that’s the only one on here, although I’m sure there’s examples of other tunes they may have nicked from previous - then again it is easy to take any song from any band and compare it with a song from previous -considering there’s billions of songs been made.

Agreed. I was reading an interview with Steve Earle once. He said that these days, it's accepted that many songwriters will come up with what sounds like a copy of a previous song completely innocently. As you suggest, they just sort it out in court with an appropriate percentage of royalties going to the original artist.

It comes down to opinion. A song could rip off another and it may be the opionion of whoever decides the case that it didn't. Or it could be coincidental or subconscious, but the opinion that it is copying another. Winning/losing a plagiarism case means simply that, they get money or they don't. It doesn't 'prove' anything though, not unless as part of the process someone actually admits to it.

Hand raised at the back of the room from the quiet Yank.

“Hi, yes. Thanks. I have a question. Um, do most Brits really rate Definitely Maybe above Morning Glory? I mean . . . really? Seriously? Are you sure? Ok . . . thank you.”

More later.

I really do.

I find most songs on MG just so ‘poppy’ and basic, also overplayed. I struggle to listen to Wonderwall, She’s Electric and Champagne Supernova nowadays - they went full Pop which for me was a bit disappointing in hindsight , but can’t really blame them for cashing in.

Whereas Definitely Maybe and there B Sides, there sound was more loud, raw, heavy, bit more indie and psychedelic (Columbia/Supersonic/Bring It On Down) but ultimately more authentic- which is understandable considering Noel was writing these songs growing up poor in a council estate - by the time Morning Glory come about he was sipping champagne with Tony Blair.

I think die hard Oasis fans would go with DM but general music fans would go with MG.

Also, even if not a fan of theirs - the ‘Supersonic’ documentary film on Netflix is a really good watch.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.