The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

Never took to him.
That brand of American rock rarely grabs me. There’s no doubting the guy can play.

Edit: what do you think of Sammy Hagar.

Sammy Hagar? I’ve seen him in concert as a solo artist and in VH and Chickenfoot. I have plenty of albums he features on. The first Montrose album is a classic. He can sing and he’s a decent guitarist. I much prefer VH with Dave Lee Roth.

I think Mr Fog hates him but I’m a Manc not a Bay Area Boy so I don’t have the kind of proximity that he might have. Sammy can be a bit full of himself.

Last edited:
I think it's interesting that so far we've not had any "bag of shite" scores and I don't expect we will. That could be because it's uniformaly brilliant but personally I think it's because, for all their attitude, the music itself is very safe. As more than one person has said it's just rock n roll and as such what's not to like at least to some degree? Ignore some of the fans and their individual personas and this music isn't going to offend anyone because there really isn't any risk involved.

The upside of this is there's no concern that they are taking the piss or cheating us. Forget the borrowing of stuff accusations, it's in plain sight and loads of bands do it. They were straight forwardly kids who wanted to form a band, play rock n roll and become fuck off famous; and they did exactly what it said on the tin. So you don't have to sit there watching a piano swinging like a pendulum thinking is this genius or is he having a laugh? It's just decent music so what's not to like?

But where I've always struggled with Oasis is how does decent then become great in many people's minds? This is where Sing Something Simple comes in.

Sing Something Simple was a radio show that ran from 1954 on BBC Light Entertainment and then Radio 2 until 2001. It was originally hosted by a guy called Cliff Adams and he had a group, The Cliff Adams Singers who sang popular tunes of the day that you could join in with. Like Oasis, it had by design little artistic cutting edge and competent, but not virtuoso, musicians. But it also happened to become the longest continuous running radio programme in the world, it may still hold that record for all I know. It did this because it tapped into a desire to be connected by music, it was virtual group karaoke in your home decades before karaoke hit these shores or the internet had even been invented. I think this is at the heart of Oasis's success, they tap into a communal desire to be connected by music and their music is a perfect fit for that. Familiar sounding and good enough to connect people and safe enough not to alienate. Imo it's not a coincidence that the song that was spontaneously sung by the crowd in St Ann's Square after the arena bombing was an Oasis song. It's the modern day equivalent of Sing Something Simple and I don't mean that as an insult.

But here's the problem for me. I'm basically anti-social and miserable (not really, I'm just introverted). I can get over myself but that would typically be through dancing, my days in a mosh pit were brief and long gone, so any communal experience is likely to be through a beat not a sing-a-long. There's a few exceptions to this but, Oasis's music isn't exceptional enough to be one of them.

To me, to be 'great' you can either be innovative, virtuoso or strike a relatable chord. Oasis are not the first two and for all that I was born and raised a handful of miles from the Gallaghers I find last week's version of a gobby youth, Mr Weller, much more relatable. I think he's had something to say about the work that Oasis never had. So I've always been in the kitchen at the Oasis party and I think that's where I'll stay. That's not really a problem as I like seeing other people have a good time. The only question is do I award extra points for their ability to do that?
Excellent summation.
It embodies a lot of my own feelings on them better than I have related to date.

Right so thanks to @stonerblue I'm going to be doing an extra listen today and it will be a first for me in this thread in that I am literally only listening to it to see if it works as shagging music (and before any smartarse points out that you can't listen you have to test, I am in the office).

I'm generally of the view that kind of thing is best left to the likes of Sly and The Family Stone, but I will try to listen without prejudice.

Sammy Hagar? I’ve seen him in concert as a solo artist and in VH and Chickenfoot. I have plenty of albums he features on. The first Montrose album is a classic. He can sing and he’s a decent guitarist. I much prefer VH with Dave Lee Roth.

I think Mr Fog hates him but I’m a Manc not a Bay Area Boy so I don’t have the kind of proximity that he might have. Sammy can be a bit full of himself.
Don’t get me wrong OB1, I think there is a perfect time for DLR and EVH together. They work very well together and it’s hard not to like OTT DLR.
I think they were a great arena rock band. I don’t relate to that American brand of theatre rock though as affectionately as other similar rock bands this side of the Atlantic. I find it hard to define why.
I like a lot more gut perhaps and less glam.
They had some catchy stuff all the same.

Not irked mate. Puzzled.
As three spires said, not typical of your comments but I respect what you obviously feel as your experience is clearly different to mine.

Anyway to answer your question, I have a visceral hatred for LFC fanbase but still can see what an amazing team they are (at their peak) and enjoy that football whilst not enjoying their success.

In my experience folk are normally music fans rather than fans of a single band (although there might be a minority who attach themselves to a single band).
What if that wasn't the case though......
Can you imagine the polarisation in the stadium, on the Topographic side we have the Yes crew, all kitted out in DM's and spangly capes, whilst on the Hogweed side we have the Genesis MIBs resplendent in black jump suit and batwing helmet. Their UV eye makeup glaring menacingly at their sparkly foe. Let the battle commence.....

Actually, might be fun :-)

You know the old saying, 'if you want to know how many dickheads really live in Glasgow, go out ahead of an old firm game, or an Oasis gig'. ;)

Don’t get me wrong OB1, I think there is a perfect time for DLR and EVH together. They work very well together and it’s hard not to like OTT DLR.
I think they were a great arena rock band. I don’t relate to that American brand of theatre rock though as affectionately as other similar rock bands this side of the Atlantic. I find it hard to define why.
I like a lot more gut perhaps and less glam.
They had some catchy stuff all the same.

Roth is the best front man I've ever seen and I've never seen a better guitarist then Eddie, and, as mentioned, many times, I've seen over 1,000 performances from over 500 acts. Roth didn't just put on a show, he could hold an audience just by standing there - a bit like Liam (to give a nod to our official topic).

I grew up on Glam (T.Rex, Sweet, Bowie etc) so that has never left me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.