The Album Review Club - Week #127 - (page 1545) - Definitely Maybe - Oasis

The band that filled the void when Oasis split was Kasabian. A debut I enjoyed but they started looking for anthems for the stadiums. They picked up a lot of stray Oasis fans.

I never really associated the two, but, I do see it.

But there was something in you saying this, that led me to (to me) an interesting observation.

I myself quite liked their first couple of albums (then for some reason lost interest). That's not really important, what is, is that I have a fair few friends that were/are Kasabian fans. None of them, were Oasis fans.

Which then led me to realising, I genuinely can not think have of one single friend of mine, that is an Oasis fan. Not one. Not just in my close circles, wider circles and their first degrees of separation too. Ok one or two former colleagues, but not that I keep in touch with.

I mean, not that they dislike them, and might happily join in singing along to a popular song after a few drinks. But in the sense they own and know albums or would go to a gig, none.

And for the record, my friends and circles are very into their music and well broad. Many are involved in music and the industry, heck one worked and toured with Oasis / the brothers, and couldn't find anyone that would take him up on free vip passes.

Isn't that interesting, that a band as big as that and universally so popular, has managed to not resonate with such a large circle of age appropriate music loving people. Even with the claimed 'discovered in Glasgow' connection.

t I have a fair few friends that were/are Kasabian fans. None of them, were Oasis fans.
Mate, you raised it again so I will try and understand again. I have a fair few friends and never in my life have I heard one of them say ‘I am a fan of X band’. Like me they have a wide range of musical likes and dislikes. I don’t see that music has the same tribalism as football at all.

Mate, you raised it again so I will try and understand again. I have a fair few friends and never in my life have I heard one of them say ‘I am a fan of X band’. Like me they have a wide range of musical likes and dislikes. I don’t see that music has the same tribalism as football at all.

I clarified further down. Not that they dislike them, but not ones that would own albums and go to gigs.

It is btw a completely different and unrelated point to the previous discussion on their fanbase.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.