The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

The Budos Band - V (or 5)

In some ways, the less said about it the better, I feel.

It has been a while since we've had an instrumental only album, in fact I can only remember one I think.

For me there is always something quite intriguing about music without vocals, that can move you and make you feel things without being told in words what you are meant to be taking from it. This is one of those for me. There is a mood to it, there is a certain darkens in it at times, pain, joy, menacing, basic playfulness. I really like the mix, and the skills of the the instruments.

Look forward to the discussions it triggers.

Having been put onto these guys by Coatigan, I'm looking forward to other people's thoughts and not having to think too hard to write a review.

I like the idea of constructing your own story/images to music without lyrics. It's fleetingly crossed my mind to nominate Moss Side Story for that exact same reason but I think that's taking it too far.

A good solid performance from @stoneblue 's first nomination, Feats Don't Fail Me Now by Little Feat finishes with a nice round 7.00 from 12 voters. It becomes the 17th album to hit the magical 7 mark.

Next up, and waiting in the wings with the clues, is @Coatigan.
Only got the last 2nd two listens in today whilst working,then bloody phone ran out of charge, life is far too busy, need to find time earlier!! Anyway, would be a 7 from me, which would change nothing, good, but not quite as good as hoped/expecting, but will be checking out another couple of their albums, since the consensus among those who know them, say this isn't necessarily the standout one ;)

The Budos Band - V (or 5)

In some ways, the less said about it the better, I feel.

It has been a while since we've had an instrumental only album, in fact I can only remember one I think.

For me there is always something quite intriguing about music without vocals, that can move you and make you feel things without being told in words what you are meant to be taking from it. This is one of those for me. There is a mood to it, there is a certain darkens in it at times, pain, joy, menacing, basic playfulness. I really like the mix, and the skills of the the instruments.

Look forward to the discussions it triggers.
Another I'm looking forward to, got a playlist of instrumentals (VH, Leppard, Rush, Metallica etc).....think this may be a 'bit' different!! But vocals not always required.

The Budos Band are excellent. My neighbour and I listen to them every Friday night at his house whilst sinking a few beers: he has a funk channel set up on Pandora and they are always in the rotation. That's the entirety of my contribution to this. My favourite is "Old Engine Oil" which sounds better live on KEXP (youtube).

A good solid performance from @stoneblue 's first nomination, Feats Don't Fail Me Now by Little Feat finishes with a nice round 7.00 from 12 voters. It becomes the 17th album to hit the magical 7 mark.

Next up, and waiting in the wings with the clues, is @Coatigan.
Sorry I'm late to this Rob but works' been crackers again!

Not sure if you add the late scores on but I LOVED this album and it would've got a 9 from me!

A Def Leppard instrumental has passed me by… one of my least favourite bands from a genre I generally love. May the lack of vocals might improve them ;)
Not my favourites either, but Iron Maiden probably my least favourite from then, of the more popular ones.
Switch 625 is on High n Dry....before they became a rockpop band ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.