The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I remember Little Feat from the 70's, but not as a band I listened to regularly then. I did enjoy Let It Roll from 1988, but in general, I would get the FM radio tracks (Dixie Chicken and a few others) and not their albums on my rotation. I found it even more surprising the band formed and was mostly from LA, as I have always thought them a New Orleans/Southeast US band by far as that style is where their music resonated the most.

Oh, Atlanta is the song I knew off of this album and really a solid offering and the one I'd come back to. Really like the horns and synths in Spanish Moon, and although I liked the Medley at the end, it wasn't as much of a grabber as I was hoping a tempo changing song would be.

Once the album finished, I got to hear the Radiators (from New Orleans), jam band Widespread Panic, John Hiatt, GFR, a Stones funky blues offering of Loving Cup, and then... the Black Crowes. Then it hit me on Little Feat's influence, as I was trying all album to place their sound past what I remembered from the 70's and 80's.

It didn't connect with me as others have mentioned as the songs did blend together a bit. It's an enjoyable 6/10 for me, but not one I'm seeking out, however I certainly can appreciate their influence on bands such as Black Crowes, and others.

When trying to define the uniqueness of Little Feat, and there was never a doubt to me they were unique, I think their own website sums them up best:

Little Feat is very possibly the last-man-standing example of what used to be the norm in American music, a fusion of a broad span of styles and genres into something utterly distinctive. They combined earthy, organic material with first-rate musicianship in a combination that transcends boundaries. Feat took California rock, funk, folk, jazz, country, rockabilly, and New Orleans swamp boogie and more, stirred it into a rich gumbo, and has been leading people in joyful dance ever since.

Well said.

Struggled to get asmany listens in as i would have liked
The first pick that i do not know of what to make of this album.
Loved the guitar work,some of the key boards i enjoyed some just annoying.Vocals a bit hit or miss and some of the tunes great and some not so.6/10 but every chance a higher score after a few more listens.

A lot of my early musical education and exposure was courtesy of my older brother (Stop me if you've heard this one before) who in turn as I recall relied on the guidance offered by the Old New Musical Express Encyclopaedia of Rock. So anything he listened and exposed me to must have been good if they recommended it?

Obviously time brings maturity, more independent thought and also alters the listening and perceiving processes somewhat. I can remember artists and albums I would have thought dreary at the time but have grown to appreciate. Neil Young's After the Goldrush and Harvest spring to mind and another artist and another album that will be my next pick on this thread. I remember the fantastic sleeves of the Little Feat albums and thinking the music didn't match it. If I was a headline writer after a cheap headline I would have summed up this album by paraphrasing the final medley as Dull, Dull, Dull. So fair to say I never got that appreciation of Little Feat (apart from the fact that I put one of their tracks, Willin', on a playlist of songs I submitted a while ago and this is a song I will always play.

So, a chance to listen to them again, many years on with mature and more perceptive ears...

And sorry OP, it sounds the same. I think it has been summed up by someone else on this thread that there is a flatness to this album, the delivery, the vocals that just can't raise it. And I recall an article in Uncut a few months ago about the live album Waiting for Columbus that had suggested that they never truly caught what they were about on their studio albums.

It's fair to say that this is a genre (or genres of) music that is pretty low down on my list of what I would listen to anyway. I can appreciate the musicianship and I'm never going to score too harshly a band that is obviously loved and appreciated by people with a broader depth of musical knowledge and experience than me but that leaves it in that middling 6 out of 10 area.

High points? There really weren't any for me. It's not Dull, Dull, Dull though, it's more So, So, So

(Talking of cheap headline writers or throwaway comments I can remember about albums by bands I do like such as Doll by Doll's eponymous third album being headlined, you've guessed it, Dull by Dull, Black's Comedy attracting a similar dismissal I can't quite remember the wording of but you can see where it was heading and my favourite, a review of Faith by the Cure being signed off with "If laughter is infectious, this is the Cure)

Well that's my first contribution done and dusted, not too painful, thanks everyone for the observations.

Listening to Little Feat led me to explore other slide guitar exponents of the time and it was through this I discovered Bonnie Raitt, who played with LF from time to time.

Great first nomination by @stoneblue, but don’t be a stranger on this thread, eh?

@RobMCFC I intend to participate more frequently in the future....in fact I'm currently compiling a shortlist for a future nomination!

Apologies to @Mancitydoogle for having to change pick for your next selection.

Little Feat - Feats Don't Fail Me Now

Very enjoyable, upbeat, boogie woogie! mix of blues/jazz and great use of slide guitar and piano throughout. Lowell George was some talent being able to collaborate so much together.

Rock and Roll Doctor, Oh Atlanta, Skin It Back, Feats Don't Fail Me Now all highlights, all with a cool groove.

Maybe a bit much medley for my liking and lacks that punch I get from British Rock. But it's hard to find to much fault otherwise.

7/10

No, you've got to earn it!

I'm being courteous giving it the usual time for any late reviews, but can get the clues up whenever.
I'm just glad I didn't miss them as in other weeks where midday work keeps me out of the guessing - not that I would have gotten any since I struggled with PJ's Ten (which I now think Messi).

I'm both anxious and nervous (given similar interests)...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.