The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I think Collins gets a lot of grief but I actually quite enjoy the group's music from when he was lead singer. One of the first albums I bought was Genesis (1983) and I still play it regularly, but I remember them not being trendy at the time (I don't think I ever admitted to buying the album back then) and to add to that you had the Pete Gabriel fans dissing them at the same time, although their albums were going platinum in the UK and USA so they were winning over new fans.

I find it interesting how their albums move from the prog-rock era to the pop-rock era, it's a gradual change and I understand why some hated it but they couldn't keep on just trying to be like they were. In my view they were good at both genres.
Genesis are an interesting case study. Of all ‘Prog bands’ they really are the only ones to transition to unbelievable commercial success. Their music from ‘then there were three’ onwards might not be to the taste of crusty‘s like me who were weaned on their Theatre rock hayday but there is no argument that the music they transitioned to was far more popular and absolutely loved by millions. Yes flirted with commerciality but never achieved the mass acceptance that Genesis did. Bands like King Crimson and Jethro Tull didn’t even try. So there is no band that have achieved what Genesis achieved over a 50 year (yes 50) career. Unbelievable, and kudos to them.

I missed this the first time I read your piece! "Going For The One" (the song) is one of my favo(u)rite things Yes did, and I love how it sounds so different with that steel guitar. And I really like the lyrics and chorus. I'm sad they didn't do more stuff like this, when they sounded like a rock and roll band, rather than "just" a prog band. In fact if you could somehow eliminate the Serial King of Keyboard Pretension Rick Wakeman from the song it'd be even better. Not that he's always bad (I like Yes, especially Chris Squire and Bill Bruford) but he adds nothing to this particular tune.
That album and the one that followed are by-passed imho by some Yes fans, who can seem a bit obsessed with the likes of Close To The Edge, Tales, Relayer, which personally I can take or leave.
Best 3 Yes albums for me would be The Yes Album, GFTO, and 90125.

In my post above, I wasn’t dismissing the other tracks on GFTO - I also love Parallels for example, which sounds particularly good on Yesshows - it’s just that Awaken is off the scale for me!

I wont bang on about this as I know nowt about prog rock, or genesis.
So with nothing to compare it to I can only comment on what was put before me, a simple do I like it or not.

I liked it more than I thought I would, without being blown away. Bit of a special mention for my favourite track on here, 'time table' I liked that track straight away, it's really good.
What it has done, is make me want to listen to more of this genre, as I'm sure there will be stuff out there that I will really like, if this album is anything to go by, which can only be a good thing right?

It's a healthy 6/10, and another interesting pick.
Cheers Mark, enjoyed getting to know it, sorry I can't do it justice in words, others have (and will) do it with much more competence than me!
I think you’ll love The Lamb Album. Give that a few listens. Time table sounds like a Lamb song.

That album and the one that followed are by-passed imho by some Yes fans, who can seem a bit obsessed with the likes of Close To The Edge, Tales, Relayer, which personally I can take or leave.

In my post above, I wasn’t dismissing the other tracks on GFTO - I also love Parallels for example, which sounds particularly good on Yesshows - it’s just that Awaken is off the scale for me!
I loved everything Yes growing up until The Buggles joined them.
GFTO is a fabulous album and I remember having the panoramic cover up on my bedroom wall.(robbed the empty sleeve from outside a small record shop on Tara Street in Dublin)

When they reformed with Jon Anderson and brought out 90125 I bought it and loved it even with the change of direction for the MTV age.
The only album I hadn’t got up until then was Drama with Trevor Horn. But despite listening to several of their offerings since 1983 I haven’t bought anything by them since.

Genesis are an interesting case study. Of all ‘Prog bands’ they really are the only ones to transition to unbelievable commercial success. Their music from ‘then there were three’ onwards might not be to the taste of crusty‘s like me who were weaned on their Theatre rock hayday but there is no argument that the music they transitioned to was far more popular and absolutely loved by millions. Yes flirted with commerciality but never achieved the mass acceptance that Genesis did. Bands like King Crimson and Jethro Tull didn’t even try. So there is no band that have achieved what Genesis achieved over a 50 year (yes 50) career. Unbelievable, and kudos to them.
And Rush. But not to the degree Genesis did.

I've always liked Fragile, for Roundabout and also that fish song. 90125 is also sneaky. I can see how traditional Yes fans detested it but I really like it.

Genesis
Foxtrot
One of musical arch nemeses'(sp?)......Not a good platform, or is it? ;-)

So to be fair @Marklr , to say that coming into this I wasn't a huge admirer of anything that Phil Collins has been part of would be an understatement, but in the spirit of these threads and your superb write up which I really enjoyed; almost like I can hear it being read out in your voice (even though we've never met and I don't know what your voice sounds like) kind of way, it allowed me to free myself of premeditated opinions and listen to it with fresh ears.
I sound like Frank Sidebottom, by the way...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.