The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

I loved everything Yes growing up until The Buggles joined them.
GFTO is a fabulous album and I remember having the panoramic cover up on my bedroom wall.(robbed the empty sleeve from outside a small record shop on Tara Street in Dublin)

When they reformed with Jon Anderson and brought out 90125 I bought it and loved it even with the change of direction for the MTV age.
The only album I hadn’t got up until then was Drama with Trevor Horn. But despite listening to several of their offerings since 1983 I haven’t bought anything by them since.
Similar to me - I did enjoy Big Generator though. There’s one track on there which stands tall with the finest music they’ve ever produced (Shoot High Aim Low).

That album and the one that followed are by-passed imho by some Yes fans, who can seem a bit obsessed with the likes of Close To The Edge, Tales, Relayer, which personally I can take or leave.
Best 3 Yes albums for me would be The Yes Album, GFTO, and 90125.

In my post above, I wasn’t dismissing the other tracks on GFTO - I also love Parallels for example, which sounds particularly good on Yesshows - it’s just that Awaken is off the scale for me!

Parallels is my favourite track on GFTO.

I loved everything Yes growing up until The Buggles joined them.
GFTO is a fabulous album and I remember having the panoramic cover up on my bedroom wall.(robbed the empty sleeve from outside a small record shop on Tara Street in Dublin)

When they reformed with Jon Anderson and brought out 90125 I bought it and loved it even with the change of direction for the MTV age.
The only album I hadn’t got up until then was Drama with Trevor Horn. But despite listening to several of their offerings since 1983 I haven’t bought anything by them since.

I even like the Buggles album these days.

I've always liked Fragile, for Roundabout and also that fish song. 90125 is also sneaky. I can see how traditional Yes fans detested it but I really like it.

Love Fragile and especially Roundabout. I was a fan of Trevor Rabin's work before he joined Yes and 90125 vies with The Yes Album for my favourite Yes album.

I even like the Buggles album these days.
Bumped into Geoff Downes in the gents at a Hackett gig in Manchester Bridgewater Hall about 4 years ago. Unfortunately he was already ‘enjoying his evening’ quite a lot, so I didn’t risk crossing swords with him. In retrospect, I’m surprised he wasn’t in a vip/backstage area. Looked like he was just there as a regular punter.

Reactions: OB1
I'll give anything a go tbf.
To find the nuggets you sometimes have to shift some dirt...
Definitely give them a listen, I’m far from in the majority, especially with prog albums, I’m listening to a lot of these albums for the first time as somebody that for years avoided prog bands soI tend to rank bands albums like Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull very differently to long time fans.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.