The Album Review Club - Week #139 - (page 1815) - Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War Of The Worlds

9 out of 10.
The quality of Suppers Ready ,one of my all time fav songs,means the whole album is a 9.
I wish I knew enough about music to be able to give this a 9. I feel this does deserve more than the 6 I gave it, but I can't quantify it. I'm blaming it on my prog ignorance.
Prignorance, if you will..

Foxtrot, Foxtrot, Foxtrot, where to start ?
I guess at the beginning. When this first came out the sound was lousy, cramming 50 minutes onto an LP meant a decrease in sound quality for us HiFi dweebs, 40 really is the max. But the later releases corrected this especially the re-mastered version.
As soon as I heard the beautiful mellotron intro in Watcher of The Skies, I was hooked. An amazing album, and in my opinion, Genesis' finest hour. The opening song, "Watcher of The Skies" is a bit of an odd track, (and reminds me of Ye's opener on The Yes Album, Yours Is No Disgrace in terms of the way itgallops along) but repeat listens unveil its true brilliance. Rutherfords work in this track is good, his bass riff is immediately catchy. Beautiful washes of mellotron and guitar give this song a lot of character, it stands out as one of Genesis' most adventurous (and rewarding) songs. "Get em Out By Friday" is another killer track with Gabriel playing different vocal roles and showcasing his versatile vocal style. Great organ work by Tony here. Can-Utility And The Coastliners is a great symphonic track that builds to a rich and breathtaking climax, Hackett and Banks' instruments weaving in and out of one another overtop a beautiful orchestral mellotron.
The real treat on this album is the albums centerpiece "Supper's Ready," this magnum opus travels through many different moods and reaches several awe inspiring climaxes. The song blends perfectly the emotion of Gabriel's performance and the power of the band supporting him. Many great parts in this song, and lots of lush instrumentals. Very melodic and rich, the composition flows perfectly through each musical motif. Some standout passages are Hackett's intense solo in the movement "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men", and Bank's crowning moment "Apocalypse in 9/8". Once the first movement is reprised, you WILL be in utter awe. This album is no less than a masterpiece of Prog and Im surprised it isnt mentioned much in the 10 greatest ever lists (as I think its better than any Pink Floyd album) , and an essential record for anyone who even remotely enjoys progressive music.
8/10
Better than Wish You Were Here? Their greatest record? Talk about an opus. It’s about the loss of a friend to mental decline. My question is what is Foxtrot an opus to? Do you all not find the lyrics just a wee bit pretentious?

I realize I’m biased here. My adulation of the technically proficient and complex composition begins and ends with Rush — who could get away with pretentious lyrics — and maybe Yes and a bit of King Crimson. After that, I think technical proficiency needs soul. Like, say, Hendrix. Or hooks. Like Eddie Van Halen.

I just find this a little (more than a little) emote-less. I love “Squonk” because it’s a sad little tale. And “Solsbury Hill” because it’s personal. And “Biko” because it’s moving.

And progressive is a misnomer anyhow, because when it’s symphonic it’s regressive. What I liked about aspects of Foxtrot were the jazz inflections. And the hooky parts.

And what I disliked were the parts when I was transported magically back to when I was sitting in church at age 10 — the grandiose organ, and the songs that sound like they were cribbed from Bible verses.

Don’t mean to pick on you, Bill. And I like a lot of Genesis. Maybe Rush is the Genesis of North America, and we think Brits overrate Genesis and Brits think we overrate Rush.

Better than Wish You Were Here? Their greatest record? Talk about an opus. It’s about the loss of a friend to mental decline. My question is what is Foxtrot an opus to? Do you all not find the lyrics just a wee bit pretentious?

I realize I’m biased here. My adulation of the technically proficient and complex composition begins and ends with Rush — who could get away with pretentious lyrics — and maybe Yes and a bit of King Crimson. After that, I think technical proficiency needs soul. Like, say, Hendrix. Or hooks. Like Eddie Van Halen.

I just find this a little (more than a little) emote-less. I love “Squonk” because it’s a sad little tale. And “Solsbury Hill” because it’s personal. And “Biko” because it’s moving.

And progressive is a misnomer anyhow, because when it’s symphonic it’s regressive. What I liked about aspects of Foxtrot were the jazz inflections. And the hooky parts.

And what I disliked were the parts when I was transported magically back to when I was sitting in church at age 10 — the grandiose organ, and the songs that sound like they were cribbed from Bible verses.

Don’t mean to pick on you, Bill. And I like a lot of Genesis. Maybe Rush is the Genesis of North America, and we think Brits overrate Genesis and Brits think we overrate Rush.
You see, this is why I keep my gob firmly shut at times ;-)

I think Genesis Gabriel era is too English for you yanks, seriously, loads of references and Englishness, even the artwork, yes the lyrics are twee, but artfully so and references to nursey rhymes etc.
Now your comment on Wish You Were Here. I myself prefer Foxtrot a hundred times more due to the musical content, its harmonically brilliant, contains contrapuntal passages, varying time signatures, Jazz chord voicings. Its clever.
Pink Floyds music is flat, nearly all a slow 4/4, The long opening on Gminor is nicked....David relies too heavily on pentatonic scales, its easy listening music really with Prog pretensions, its not harmonically adventurous.
Im not saying everybody should prefer Foxtrot, Im speaking personally.
Roger Waters strength is his lyrics. His music is boring. Like Coldplay. LoL

Last edited:
I think Genesis Gabriel era is too English for you yanks, seriously, loads of references and Englishness, even the artwork, yes the lyrics ate twee, but artfully and references to nursey rhymes.
Now your comment on Wish You Were Here. I myself prefer Foxtrot a hundred times more due to the musical content, its harmonically brilliant, contains contrapuntal passages, varying time signatures, Jazz chord voicings. Its clever.
Pink Floyds music is flat, nearly all a slow 4/4, The long opening on Gminor is nicked....David relies too heavily on pentatonic scales, its easy listening music really with Prog pretensions, its not harmonically adventurous.
Roger Waters strength is his lyrics. His music is boring. Like Coldplay.
You were doing ever so well, until your last 2 words.

Foxtrot, Foxtrot, Foxtrot, where to start ?
I guess at the beginning. I like all the Gabriel prog albums, even Trespass, the one without Collins on drums. When this first came out the sound was lousy, cramming 50 minutes onto an LP meant a decrease in sound quality for us HiFi dweebs, 40 really is the max. But the later releases corrected this especially the re-mastered version.
As soon as I heard the beautiful mellotron intro in Watcher of The Skies, I was hooked. An amazing album, and in my opinion, Genesis' finest hour. The opening song, "Watcher of The Skies" is a bit of an odd track, (and reminds me of Ye's opener on The Yes Album, Yours Is No Disgrace in terms of the way itgallops along) but repeat listens unveil its true brilliance. Rutherfords work in this track is good, his bass riff is immediately catchy. Beautiful washes of mellotron and guitar give this song a lot of character, it stands out as one of Genesis' most adventurous (and rewarding) songs. "Get em Out By Friday" is another killer track with Gabriel playing different vocal roles and showcasing his versatile vocal style. Great organ work by Tony here. Can-Utility And The Coastliners is a great symphonic track that builds to a rich and breathtaking climax, Hackett and Banks' instruments weaving in and out of one another overtop a beautiful orchestral mellotron.
The real treat on this album is the albums centerpiece "Supper's Ready," this magnum opus travels through many different moods and reaches several awe inspiring climaxes. The song blends perfectly the emotion of Gabriel's performance and the power of the band supporting him. Many great parts in this song, and lots of lush instrumentals. Very melodic and rich, the composition flows perfectly through each musical motif. Some standout passages are Hackett's intense solo in the movement "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men", and Bank's crowning moment "Apocalypse in 9/8". Once the first movement is reprised, you WILL be in utter awe. This album is no less than a masterpiece of Prog and Im surprised it isnt mentioned much in the 10 greatest ever lists (as I think its better than any Pink Floyd album) , and an essential record for anyone who even remotely enjoys progressive music.
8/10
Great review - fully agree on the opening sound of the album, it's a great opening full of suspense.............

I think Genesis Gabriel era is too English for you yanks, seriously, loads of references and Englishness, even the artwork, yes the lyrics are twee, but artfully so and references to nursey rhymes etc.
Fucking hell Bill - have you just managed to harpoon 90% of the planets guitarists and compare Pink Floyd to Coldplay in one foul swoop!?!

Outrageous.............. :-)

I wish I knew enough about music to be able to give this a 9. I feel this does deserve more than the 6 I gave it, but I can't quantify it. I'm blaming it on my prog ignorance.
Prignorance, if you will..
Well, I’m definitely not knowledgeable enough about music to understand how good this is.

But I guess one could argue that if you have to know what a contrapuntal passage is to most completely appreciate it, at least those people with an understanding of the technical aspects of music should objectively prefer it.

I guess the thing I like about rock — or novels, or art — is that it’s inherently democratic in that anyone can create it and purity of technical proficiency isn’t necessary to have either social impact or popular support.

In the end I still don’t know what this record is about. And Gabriel’s last Genesis record dispenses with this kings and queens and “goblets gold” crap. It’s about a Puerto Rican kid in New York -- quite American! Even Gabriel was tired of the twee stuff.

Last edited:

To be fair, I think they are but even more so I think they purposely are.

They are grandstanding their education or smartness, as I tried to observe it's their University limerick-ing or whatever I wrote.............

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.