The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

Yes I remember hearing about that but I don't think I ever listened to it. Will have to put that right this week whilst others are giving this a go.

Interesting that two people are already familiar with it. I thought some might be.

As you've pretty much already written the review I would write of this album and I only need to come up with a score I had a listen to The Thorns as @Mancitydoogle mentioned. On first listen some nice songs on it.

Back to your review the whole idea of powerpop and post 60's relationship between rock and pop is interesting. I've never really got powerpop as a label as I've heard stuff that is considered rock that is identical to other stuff considered power pop. As you say the term became perjorative and imo did a disservice to a number of artists.

As you've pretty much already written the review I would write of this album and I only need to come up with a score I had a listen to The Thorns as @Mancitydoogle mentioned. On first listen some nice songs on it.

Back to your review the whole idea of powerpop and post 60's relationship between rock and pop is interesting. I've never really got powerpop as a label as I've heard stuff that is considered rock that is identical to other stuff considered power pop. As you say the term became perjorative and imo did a disservice to a number of artists.
I supposes it's music that is full of hooks (like pop music) but played in a way that is more akin to rock.

We all like to bash "pop" acts from time to time, but as is often said, there is a terrific skill in coming up with a 3-minute song with a catchy chorus that lasts well over the years.

Whilst this album certainly has some catchy hooks and singalong choruses, I think it's the power of the guitars that make it what it is.

Return of Rodriguez for ‘Thought I Knew You’
Yes, a fair comparison. I really love that track because it's just Sweet and Cole on the acoustics and it's a bit different to most of the other tracks.

Good review as normal Rob, this is another album I have ,but not listened to for years So I’m looking forward to reacquainting myself to it.He formed a band called The ThorNS with Shawn Mullins and Peter Drove in 2003 they released a self titled album which is definitely worth listening to.
I listened to the Thorns album before and it's very good. As noted, I had heard of it but never gave it a listen before so thanks for the heads up. There's a song on there that I know and love: "Blue" which is the lead track on The Jayhawks album Tomorrow The Green Grass. The original is good and this version is just as good.

Yes, a fair comparison. I really love that track because it's just Sweet and Cole on the acoustics and it's a bit different to most of the other tracks.

I listened to the Thorns album before and it's very good. As noted, I had heard of it but never gave it a listen before so thanks for the heads up. There's a song on there that I know and love: "Blue" which is the lead track on The Jayhawks album Tomorrow The Green Grass. The original is good and this version is just as good.
Ha I thought you didn’t like covers Rob?
TTGG is a superb album ,another I’ve considered nominating.

When I want a straightforward hit of guitar based hooky american pop rock about lost love et al my main go to is Gin Blossoms. If I want something a little more textured and nuanced this is one of the albums I'll go to.

As for a review, I agree with Rob.

I have to be in the mood, but when I am this is 8/10 which is what I'm giving it.

Part of me wants to give him another point just for his association with the High Priestess of Pop Rock but even with my shambolic approach to scoring that's probably a step too far.

Ha I thought you didn’t like covers Rob?
TTGG is a superb album ,another I’ve considered nominating.

Was just typing the same thing but you beat me to it!!
Blimey, you don’t let stuff lie, you lot :)

But yes, it’s a fair cop. I’d much rather listen to original music, but it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate a good cover version when I come across one by accident.

To put this into context, my favourite artist, Bruce, released an album of covers last year. Haven’t listened to it and probably won’t bother. What’s the point?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.