The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

Blimey, you don’t let stuff lie, you lot :)

But yes, it’s a fair cop. I’d much rather listen to original music, but it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate a good cover version when I come across one by accident.

To put this into context, my favourite artist, Bruce, released an album of covers last year. Haven’t listened to it and probably won’t bother. What’s the point?
Someone should nominate it so you have to. Never heard of them myself though so it won’t be me

When I want a straightforward hit of guitar based hooky american pop rock about lost love et al my main go to is Gin Blossoms. If I want something a little more textured and nuanced this is one of the albums I'll go to.

As for a review, I agree with Rob.

I have to be in the mood, but when I am this is 8/10 which is what I'm giving it.

Part of me wants to give him another point just for his association with the High Priestess of Pop Rock but even with my shambolic approach to scoring that's probably a step too far.
Gun Blossoms are a good call, bit of country in their early stuff too which I really like.

But yes, it’s a fair cop. I’d much rather listen to original music, but it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate a good cover version when I come across one by accident.

To put this into context, my favourite artist, Bruce, released an album of covers last year. Haven’t listened to it and probably won’t bother. What’s the point?
I quite like the odd cover particularly when it’s done live, not that keen on full albums though.As Bruce is my favourite artist too , I’ve listened to it but it did nothing for me.The exception would be Ryan Adams covering Taylor Swift’s ‘1989’
which I really enjoyed , not so enamoured with his recent Dylan, Springsteen and Oasis interpretations of whole albums or indeed why he’s recordEd them.

Can't understand how anyone can have a preconception of not liking covers. Some are good, some bad, some pointless, some excellent.

Then there is the excitement of hearing something you know, reinterpreted, reimagined, given a new spin etc. Be moved by a song that much to want to make it your own.
In fact, come to think of it, I love covers, as a concept.

So I guess I can then understand how someone can have a preconception the other way.

Last edited:
Can't understand how anyone can have a preconception of not liking covers. Some are good, some bad, some pointless, some excellent.

Then there is the excitement of hearing something you know, reinterpreted, reimagined, given a new spin etc. Be moved by a song that much to want to make it your own.
In fact, come to think of it, I love covers, as a concept.

So I guess I can then understand how someone can have a preconception the other way.
As noted, I do like the odd cover. However, once somebody has done a song, I'd much rather hear a new song than somebody else do something I've already heard. It really is as simple as that for me.

I also don't like other artists getting praise off the back of another artists work.

The best example being many people probably think that "Proud Mary" is a Tina Turner song (although I'm sure John Fogerty has made plenty of money from this).

I guess the weekends footy shenanigans have pushed this down the order - yes, I know it’s only Monday :)
Thought I’d go early and give this a solid 6/10. It was pleasant enough without really grabbing me by the wotsits. Whilst I do like slower stuff, I’m not all shouty vocals and driving riffs, this isn’t the guy for me. Not sure if it’s his vocal or the arrangement but tracks like You Don’t Love Me proved very accurate!
Where the tracks had a bit more ‘drive’ to them like the opener Divine Intervention and Evangeline, I found his voice more enjoyable.
Decent nomination and it’s always good to hear something I’ve not listened to before.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.