The Album Review Club - Week #140 - (page 1844) - Lovers Electric - Lovers Electric

This one for me is a bit like the Sunhouse nomination. In the sense that 20 or 15, maybe even 10 years ago, I would have really liked it. Now, appreciate it seems to be the best I can do. Trying to get myself into that mood and headspace for the last run through.

It’s a nice album without much bite.
Rodriguez inspired ‘Thought I Knew You’ the standout with its acoustic drive.
‘I’ve been waiting’, ‘Evangeline’ and ‘I Wanted to Tell You’ are all catchy numbers. ‘Girlfriend’ has a great solo. Also I liked the backing harmonies for many of these tracks.
Overall it was good but a bit too light, I made the comparison to James Blunt earlier on and stick by it - genuinely think he has done similar. That’s not actually a criticism, light Pop falls nicely on the ear at times and I can always listen.

6/10

Not one I'd ever heard if before. The opening track was one of the weakest I have heard on this thread yet, and had me a bit worried with what I'd think. But after that, it becomes clear what the album is, and the sound is pretty consistent. The slight country tones here and there are a bit too much for me, but there is a good old school rock-pop album there. As mentioned before, a decade ago I would have probably thought different, but now it didn't do that much for me. Perhaps helps me understand a few on here with albums they missed out on and now feel beyond. Still, all said pleasant enough, and a decent listen. At an hour all in, possibly a touch too long for what it is. Decent solid 6, some decent writing in there worth mentioning.

It's very 90's. Listening to it I got a lot of "Friends" vibes. And Crowded House. And the LA's weirdly. It's not dated well. Very light and fluffy with light and fluffy backing vocals and light and fluffy lyrics. It's the sort of music I stayed away from in the 90's and I'm definitely staying away from it again.

4/10

It's very 90's. Listening to it I got a lot of "Friends" vibes. And Crowded House. And the LA's weirdly. It's not dated well. Very light and fluffy with light and fluffy backing vocals and light and fluffy lyrics. It's the sort of music I stayed away from in the 90's and I'm definitely staying away from it again.

4/10
Crowded House are one of my favourite bands and it's definitely nothing like them!

GIRLFRIEND

I used to quite like a bit of Power Pop particularly Marshall Crenshaw, and have this album although not listened to it in years.It contains some really good songs , I particularly liked ‘’Ive been waiting ‘ with its REM jangly guitars, the country vibe of ‘Winona’ ‘ Evangeline’ and the title track.
It’s heavily influenced by ‘Big Star’ there’s a few fillers and it’s a tad too long.

Nice pick though

7/10

As I listened to this I suddenly recalled that I’d heard quite a bit before. I’ve Been Waiting is the song I remember hearing most often. Pleasantly Gin Blossomy, emphasis on the blossom and not the gin. The title track is another that I recognized right away. I always thought it was a cover! Really good little tune. I like the riffs on Evangeline and Thought I Knew You (which also sounds like a cover). I Wanted To Tell You might be near my favorite, in part because the snare coupled with the chords on the mark drive home the point. “Don’t Go” could be CSNY if they tuned their guitars with knives and spoons like Sonic Youth. Liked that too.

On the other hand, slow ones like Winona and Day For Night aren’t for me and Divine Intervention is endless at 5:36. Goodness me. Not the opener I would have selected. Slide guitar used to countrify tunes isn’t really for me either — a little for accent can be fine but when overused it’s a quicksand trap to sounding like the Eagles (cf. Your Sweet Voice).

This isn’t music that really takes a lot of chances, and as a writer, Sweet is long on guitar effects and short on lyrical potency. Fundamentally I don’t find this performed with the depth I expected based on the review. Someone else’s heartbreak should make me feel more than I felt. And I can’t get over how many songs I thought were covers. On one hand when I hear songcraft that suggests this is a man playing others’ tunes, I suppose I should be impressed. On the other hand, does that mean his playing is understated? I’m not sure.

I am fine that this is “of its era”, and there’s plenty in here I enjoyed and would listen to again but other songs that at least for me fall flat. The proportion is 60/40. So I guess that makes this a 6 but I’ve a feeling I’m underrating it and maybe repeated listenings would bring a 7. So 6 it is BUT a 6 I will listen to again.

PS. If this rings your chimes I would definitely recommend checking out Brendan Benson’s Lapalco. Similar and I think a little hookier and poppier. He later joined the Raconteurs with Jack White.

Last edited:
GIRLFRIEND

I used to quite like a bit of Power Pop particularly Marshall Crenshaw, and have this album although not listened to it in years.It contains some really good songs , I particularly liked ‘’Ive been waiting ‘ with its REM jangly guitars, the country vibe of ‘Winona’ ‘ Evangeline’ and the title track.
It’s heavily influenced by ‘Big Star’ there’s a few fillers and it’s a tad too long.

Nice pick though

7/10
Big Star is a good shout, as is it being too long. 20 mins too long in fact. Stripping out 4-5 songs would make this better.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.