The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

1706112745782.png

Doves – The Last Broadcast

Released in 2002, The Last Broadcast was Doves’ second album, but it was the *first* album I heard from this unique indie rock band from Manchester. And I was blown away at first listen. I also enjoyed their debut album Lost Souls, where tunes such as “Sea Song”, “Rise”, and “Catch the Sun” really shined. But this was the first and the one I always come back to for its overall energy, positive, and upbeat sound in the songs. On an interesting band origin note, Doves used to be Sub Sub back in the early 90’s playing dance/electronic music, before changing musical directions two years after their Manchester studio burned down in 1996.

Over the next 7 years, I would enjoy their later albums of Some Cities and Kingdom of Rust, both of which continued to speak to their observations about the transformation of and challenges found within the greater Manchester area, and their own personal lives over time.

Doves went on an eleven-year hiatus in 2009 before getting back together for 2020’s album The Universal Want, an evolved and enjoyable effort after such a long time apart from making music. They then went on a break from touring and making new music while lead singer and bass player Jimi Goodwin took a wellness break. Recent updates and interviews online indicate the band is back to making music again. I’m very excited about hearing this, and in hopefully seeing them live – FINALLY!

During the time period of first hearing Doves’ first two albums, my musical tastes of what I was listening to was significantly changing and evolving. I became less focused in the music I had listened to growing up, and was seeking music that was new, unique, and certainly was not finding that on US FM radio. Doves was probably the biggest symbol of that change in my musical tastes towards more of the indie persuasion. Their music, highlighted by this album, has spoken to me unlike any band during this era, and one I still hold very dear. Their music to me now is still as enjoyable as it once was in first hearing them. The fact that I’m able to “re-introduce” their music now to some in the US that have never heard of them (usually to quite positive feedback), tells me they are still one of the most underrated indie bands out there, lacking in exposure only.

When I learned that Doves were all Manchester City fans and had actually played at Maine Road, well, that was it, City was MY team too. That is solely what brought me to this site, and I have this band to thank for that. (While I’m also a big Oasis and Noel Gallagher fan, having Noel as a City fan was just icing on the cake – it was already Doves that first inspired and solidified my EPL team – which was during a time when it was another team in the same city that had won a treble.)

Onto the band and album. Doves are:
  • Jimi Goodwin – lead vocals, bass guitar
  • Jez Williams – guitar, backing and occasional lead vocals
  • Andy Williams – drums, backing vocals

“Intro” starts of the album as a steady constant beat right into the engaging “Words”, which features Jez on vocals. The music in this song really stood out to me, emulating the self-confidence of the song meaning itself. Also per wiki, back in the late 2000’s, a mixed version of "Words" entitled “Live 4 City” was (used to be?) played at the start of City home games due to the band's support of the team. I’m not sure that is still happening.

“There Goes The Fear” is probably the most well-known track from the album, and one that always makes me think of paths not taken, looking back on life, with Jimi’s distinct vocals singing You turn around and life's passed you by. I love the lyrics, but the music on this track really makes it stellar for me.

“M62 Song” is a remake of King Crimson’s “Moonchild”, and this lonely haunting tune reminds me of driving at night along that road in December 2022 on our family trip to Manchester and the UK. Just a beautiful adaptation by Jez and the band. I purposefully avoided nominating this song for @OB1 ’s Blue Moon Heard That Before Playlist Review in that thread to not highlight this, but @Out on blue 6 astutely did. The song then received no further commentary – to my semi-shocked combined relief and disbelief. I would appreciate a review of this album from this nominating poster.

“Where We're Calling From” is another short instrumental precursor to build up the momentum to the next song “N.Y.”, an amazing psychedelic reverb trip opening that always gets me. The sound on this song really brings out the noise and fury that is the road trip to the metropolis, all the way to its beautiful acoustic ending. By now, most listeners are hearing how distinct Jimi’s vocals are, and that to me really makes the majority of the tracks here. It is a unique sound from this band that I really enjoy.

“Satellites” might be one of my favorite tunes of theirs. It never fails to bring out an emotion in me. Coming out of the darkness, into light. Just beautifully sung by Jimi, Jez adding the background harmonies. Just brilliant, especially the humming at the very end.

“Friday's Dust” is a spooky acoustic guitar led song that between the well-done vocals, the instruments, and then the added woodwinds, it really delivers a haunting and moody tone.

“Pounding” is *exactly* how it is titled: a pounding, toe tapping, fist pumping song that really is unmatched in tempo and mood. It probably should be the intro to City home games, and I’ll give @jimharri credit for that suggestion from the Doves Blue Moon thread. Sign me up for that!

The title track of “Last Broadcast” is another chilling song in tone and sound, addressing the ending of a friendship or a relationship, due to having to face the truth on where things are.

“The Sulphur Man” is a song about moving out of depression, and the music mirrors the words so well here. I really love the harmonies from Jez to compliment Jimi’s vocals at the end. That to me is when Doves is at its best.

Some might argue (insist?) that “Caught By The River” is their favorite track on the album, and I certainly can understand it. No coincidence that it both ends the album and follows “The Sulphur Man”. How many of our children have we wanted to help along to give them the encouragement needed as noted here? From start to finish, I still love this album.

In the US, this album also came with a bonus disc of "Hit the Ground Running" (adapted from Warren Zevon’s “Werewolves of London”), "Far from Grace" (another one of my favorites of theirs), "Northenden" (I’m curious of the Manchester take on this song on surrounding areas), and "Willow’s Song". I play these tracks always as part of this album, both CD and streaming.

I hope you enjoy this selection like I have for over 20+ years. Many of you local to Manchester may (should?) know this band, but we’ll see. It is in fact from another favorite song of Doves that my Blue Moon Username has taken a variation of (consider this, the hint of the century). All that said, I haven’t seen Doves noted much (if at all?) in the Album Review thread, so I am curious on how both this band and album is both known and received.

Enjoy, and if this is not your cup of tea or lacks the jolt or start you are looking for, then “Break Me Gently”.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.