The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

It's just outside Chorley in Lancs, so it's geographically consistent in that if you were travelling from Manchester up to Blackpool you could go that route.
Very nice, I wasn't sure of the beach location at the end. I always figured it was the Irish Sea based on proximity.
Liz, my neighbour has just corrected me in that it's not her mate's, it's her brother-in-law's (the guy with the cap is his dad). Apparently they are still there but they don't do petrol any more so the pump has gone.
Small world, and a claim to video fame for them is always a cool perk.
Don't know if it's true but I read somewhere that Kingdom of Rust was involved in the closest ever battle to be #1 in the charts over here. Seemingly it was beat to #1 by Lady Gaga who sold four copies more that week, can't remember where I saw it - might be rubbish.
I'm amazed that track did as well as an artist that is that popular, but location and all helps.

Very nice, I wasn't sure of the beach location at the end. I always figured it was the Irish Sea based on proximity.

Small world, and a claim to video fame for them is always a cool perk.

I'm amazed that track did as well as an artist that is that popular, but location and all helps.

If you ever see a beachfront with a half pint version of the Eiffel tower on it then your are probably looking at Blackpool.

I was talking about the Kingdom of Rust album rather than single but your point still applies.

Not sure why but the The Universal Want passed me by. I've just had a listen, it's pretty decent; a familiar sound but without sounding tired or out of date.

Btw the Sub Sub song A'int No Love was a big hit in the UK, don't think it got to #1 but it was up there.

If you ever see a beachfront with a half pint version of the Eiffel tower on it then your are probably looking at Blackpool.

I was talking about the Kingdom of Rust album rather than single but your point still applies.
Got it, yes, I was speaking of the video when the ashes are spread at the end on the beach.
Not sure why but the The Universal Want passed me by. I've just had a listen, it's pretty decent; a familiar sound but without sounding tired or out of date.
I think Andy's drumming on it is really good - especially "Carousels". Really dug that, and think I had a few tears of joy that day hearing new songs from them after 11 years after thinking they were done for good. And yes, I'll take those emotions up with @BimboBob on the Playlist thread...

I don't think it had great reviews, but I do love it, and it kept me saner during the pandemic knowing I had new Doves to enjoy!

Btw the Sub Sub song A'int No Love was a big hit in the UK, don't think it got to #1 but it was up there.
Oh yes, I've heard and seen that one. ;-)

Of course that always amazed me how a band that did THAT went to THIS. If not for a fire in their studio, who knows?

As it's the last album of the current round, and we've recently had a mid-round playlist, we'll be rolling straight onto Round #8 next week.

I'm assuming that all nominators want to carry on so I've put the provisional dates on page #1. I've tagged everybody here so that they can see their dates. If anybody wants to swap dates, just let me know.

If anybody is reading this and wants to join in the fun by nominating an album, give me a shout and I'll add you to the list. Participation in reviewing everybody else's nomination is expected in this case.

Round #8

31/01/2024 RobMCFC
07/02/2024 @GornikDaze
14/02/2024 @FogBlueInSanFran
21/02/2024 @BlueHammer85
28/02/2024 @bennyboy
06/03/2024 @OB1
13/03/2024 @stoneblue
20/03/2024 @Coatigan
27/03/2024 @journolud
03/04/2024 @Mancitydoogle
10/04/2024 @threespires
24/04/2024 @GoatersLeftShin
01/05/2024 @BimboBob
08/05/2024 @LGWIO
15/05/2024 @denislawsbackheel
22/05/2024 @southamptonblue
29/05/2024 @Black&White&BlueMoon Town

I bought The Last Broadcast soon after release on the strength of watching them play after the last match at Maine Road v Southampton. They played the gig to those who stayed behind for free along with Badly Drawn Boy(Damon Gough) who's also an avid blue, and i think another local artist played too ?

Last Broadcast had 3 standout tracks i think. Pounding, There Goes The Fear and my favourite - Caught By The River. I think the album is generally good but i haven't listened to it properly for at least 10 years, and even though I'm somewhat familiar with the rest of the album tracks i need to give it another listen to give my mark out of 10.

Thinking back to 2002 it was a busy year for me as i started a new job in May that year in which i was working away 90% of the time, so apart from radio 2 in the work van i rarely listened to any of my favourite music.

Doves are one of those bands that are better than i can give them credit for as I've only heard one album of theirs, even though I've heard the chart tracks from a couple of their other albums. And after listening to The Last Broadcast I'll listen to their other albums as there's a good chance I'll like them...

*Edit

Having just listened to the album again i can understand why i haven't played it for at least 10 years. Going off the songs on the Last Broadcast i find Jimi Goodwin's voice muffled dreary and too melancholy for me, apart from the 3 standout (aforementioned) tracks where he sings in a more charismatic way. I find most of the other song lyrics hard to picks out, some i just couldn't pick out so i read the lyrics to the tracks i didn't know the lyrics to.

Musically i think Doves are pretty good, very good in parts, but the main reason i feel they mostly stayed under the general public music radar is because of Jimi Goodwin not being a good enough strong voiced front man to make the band stand out.

But hey, music is very much a subjective topic. One man's meat is another man's poison, and all that. Doves are decent, it's just that they don't grab me anywhere near like they did with @Black&White&BlueMoon Town. Excellent review btw.

For me I'm giving the album a generous 6/10. And that's mainly on liking the 3 singles tracks.

Last edited:
I bought The Last Broadcast soon after release on the strength of watching them play after the last match at Maine Road v Southampton. They played the gig to those who stayed behind for free along with Badly Drawn Boy(Damon Gough) who's also an avid blue, and i think another local artist played too ?

Last Broadcast had 3 standout tracks i think. Pounding, There Goes The Fear and my favourite - Caught By The River. I think the album is generally good but i haven't listened to it properly for at least 10 years, and even though I'm somewhat familiar with the rest of the album tracks i need to give it another listen to give my mark out of 10.

Thinking back to 2002 it was a busy year for me as i started a new job in May that year in which i was working away 90% of the time, so apart from radio 2 in the work van i rarely listened to any of my favourite music.

Doves are one of those bands that are better than i can give them credit for as I've only heard one album of theirs, even though I've heard the chart tracks from a couple of their other albums. And after listening to The Last Broadcast I'll listen to their other albums as there's a good chance I'll like them...

I have no recollection of a proper third act but wasn't there some sort of soul type bods knocking around or have I imagined that? Damon Gough was probably a bigger name than Doves at the time. Tbh, the after match was a little bit of a damp squib which was kind of appropriate for our beloved but knackered home.

I have no recollection of a proper third act but wasn't there some sort of soul type bods knocking around or have I imagined that? Damon Gough was probably a bigger name than Doves at the time. Tbh, the after match was a little bit of a damp squib which was kind of appropriate for our beloved but knackered home.
I'm almost certain there was a third artist. I've tried googling but cannot find out. I'm familiar with a few Badly Drawn Boy tracks and i like - You Were Right, Born Again and Once Around The Block. But yeah, the occasion turned out to be a damp squib after watching us lose 0-1, typical City; )

*Edit

Having just listened to the album again i can understand why i haven't played it for at least 10 years. Going off the songs on the Last Broadcast i find Jimi Goodwin's voice muffled dreary and too melancholy for me, apart from the 3 standout (aforementioned) tracks where he sings in a more charismatic way. I find most of the other song lyrics hard to picks out, some i just couldn't pick out so i read the lyrics to the tracks i didn't know the lyrics to.

Musically i think Doves are pretty good, very good in parts, but the main reason i feel they mostly stayed under the general public music radar is because of Jimi Goodwin not being a good enough strong voiced front man to make the band stand out.

But hey, music is very much a subjective topic. One man's meat is another man's poison, and all that. Doves are decent, it's just that they don't grab me anywhere near like they did with @Black&White&BlueMoon Town. Excellent review btw.

For me I'm giving the album a generous 6/10. And that's mainly on liking the 3 singles tracks.
I'm only part way through my first listen which is being broken up depending on what journeys I have to make in the car. My initial thought was that the vocals are too far down in the mix which I took to be a production issue, most noticeable on the first track. I do like the understated nature of them but he comes across as a much ore confident singer on the only album of theirs I'm really familiar with which is Kingdom of Rust.

I'm only part way through my first listen which is being broken up depending on what journeys I have to make in the car. My initial thought was that the vocals are too far down in the mix which I took to be a production issue, most noticeable on the first track. I do like the understated nature of them but he comes across as a much ore confident singer on the only album of theirs I'm really familiar with which is Kingdom of Rust.
Kingdom Of Rust is the only track I'm familiar with so I'll give the album a listen. Just had a look at video on YouTube and i recognised straight away it was shot around M62 Saddleworth junction where the comms tower is in view just behind the butty van ; )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.