The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

I bought The Last Broadcast soon after release on the strength of watching them play after the last match at Maine Road v Southampton.
Ah, and now I really get @threespires SH reference from yesterday... (going beyond just some of the UK inside stuff that is my sometimes seagull here, to borrow an image phrase from @RobMCFC).
They played the gig to those who stayed behind for free along with Badly Drawn Boy(Damon Gough) who's also an avid blue, and i think another local artist played too ?
Nice, hearing about this from those that were there is what I was interested in. Glad you got to enjoy the show. Did they play on the pitch for those who stayed in the stands? I'm trying to imagine it.
Last Broadcast had 3 standout tracks i think. Pounding, There Goes The Fear and my favourite - Caught By The River.
Another "Caught by the River" favourite, very nice!
I think the album is generally good but i haven't listened to it properly for at least 10 years, and even though I'm somewhat familiar with the rest of the album tracks i need to give it another listen to give my mark out of 10.

Thinking back to 2002 it was a busy year for me as i started a new job in May that year in which i was working away 90% of the time, so apart from radio 2 in the work van i rarely listened to any of my favourite music.
We had our 3rd kid that summer, so I was lucky just to have found them around that timeframe in even discovering new music. A US buddy said, "if you like Sugar, give these guys a listen", and the rest is history. Of course not as similar in thinking back on both bands, but you get the point.
*Edit

Having just listened to the album again i can understand why i haven't played it for at least 10 years. Going off the songs on the Last Broadcast i find Jimi Goodwin's voice muffled dreary and too melancholy for me, apart from the 3 standout (aforementioned) tracks where he sings in a more charismatic way. I find most of the other song lyrics hard to picks out, some i just couldn't pick out so i read the lyrics to the tracks i didn't know the lyrics to.
Understood, might be best to stay clear of Lost Souls then, unless to "Catch the Sun". ;-)

Seriously, his voice has grown on me and it is a very distinct part of this band that I love. Jez's vocals too, though some I know struggle there as well. It is what makes them unique in what I enjoy about them. There's no mistaking this band when you hear them.
Musically i think Doves are pretty good, very good in parts, but the main reason i feel they mostly stayed under the general public music radar is because of Jimi Goodwin not being a good enough strong voiced front man to make the band stand out.

But hey, music is very much a subjective topic. One man's meat is another man's poison, and all that. Doves are decent, it's just that they don't grab me anywhere near like they did with @Black&White&BlueMoon Town. Excellent review btw.
Thank you for taking the time to listen again and review. And yes, they are a subjective favourite of mine. Anyone who has memories of seeing them live back then when they were starting out, or references to friend of a friend being part of a favourite video of mine, or otherwise... well, that's just gold for me.

Something I realized I'm never going to get to hear otherwise across more than just the river they sing about on that last track.

Ah, and now I really get @threespires SH reference from yesterday... (going beyond just some of the UK inside stuff that is my sometimes seagull here, to borrow an image phrase from @RobMCFC).

Nice, hearing about this from those that were there is what I was interested in. Glad you got to enjoy the show. Did they play on the pitch for those who stayed in the stands? I'm trying to imagine it.

Another "Caught by the River" favourite, very nice!

We had our 3rd kid that summer, so I was lucky just to have found them around that timeframe in even discovering new music. A US buddy said, "if you like Sugar, give these guys a listen", and the rest is history. Of course not as similar in thinking back on both bands, but you get the point.

Understood, might be best to stay clear of Lost Souls then, unless to "Catch the Sun". ;-)

Seriously, his voice has grown on me and it is a very distinct part of this band that I love. Jez's vocals too, though some I know struggle there as well. It is what makes them unique in what I enjoy about them. There's no mistaking this band when you hear them.

Thank you for taking the time to listen again and review. And yes, they are a subjective favourite of mine. Anyone who has memories of seeing them live back then when they were starting out, or references to friend of a friend being part of a favourite video of mine, or otherwise... well, that's just gold for me.

Something I realized I'm never going to get to hear otherwise across more than just the river they sing about on that last track.
No problem pal, great review from yourself like i said. I take it you're not an ex pat, if so how did you get into City?

I have vague memories of the last day at Maine Road, probably because i was overwhelmed (or underwhelmed by losing) by a momentous occasion of saying farewell to my spiritual home.

If my memory is correct i think i was either in the right hand end of the new Kippax or in the 'Gene Kelly' stand. They played on the pitch and I've managed to find a pic of them: )

doves-at-maine-road.jpg

No problem pal, great review from yourself like i said. I take it you're not an ex pat, if so how did you get into City?
Correct, and Doves' team became my team. I've visited Manchester and toured Etihad stadium just over a year ago, but nothing like what those of you get to experience from the area.
I have vague memories of the last day at Maine Road, probably because i was overwhelmed (or underwhelmed by losing) by a momentous occasion of saying farewell to my spiritual home.

If my memory is correct i think i was either in the right hand end of the new Kippax or in the 'Gene Kelly' stand. They played on the pitch and I've managed to find a pic of them: )

View attachment 105112
Thanks for that photo!

We have unofficial 4th member Martin Rebelski on keys to the left, then Jimi playing bass as a leftie (hey to Sir Paul), Andy a being blocked on drums, and then Jez singing on the right. Maybe they're playing "Words" given Jez is singing here?

Correct, and Doves' team became my team. I've visited Manchester and toured Etihad stadium just over a year ago, but nothing like what those of you get to experience from the area.

Thanks for that photo!

We have unofficial 4th member Martin Rebelski on keys to the left, then Jimi playing bass as a leftie (hey to Sir Paul), Andy a being blocked on drums, and then Jez singing on the right. Maybe they're playing "Words" given Jez is singing here?

You're welcome.

Tbh mate i don't know a lot about Doves, even had to look up lead singer's name this morning. I like a lot of music and watch as many bands as i can get to but i doubt I'll go and see them again, that's if they ever reform.

You're welcome.

Tbh mate i don't know a lot about Doves, even had to look up lead singer's name this morning. I like a lot of music and watch as many bands as i can get to but i doubt I'll go and see them again, that's if they ever reform.
It's all good. Much appreciated, mate.

Doves are back together in the studio as per an interview with Jez last month, and I WILL see them if they tour again. ;-)

Great album, I'd be going in with a 9 score for this one. This album and Lost Souls both crackers.
Thanks for the review and listening.

I was torn on which one to pick, but in reading this room, I felt The Last Broadcast is a bit more accessible, and it was the one I began with. I love both and it might be 1a and 1b with me now, letters subject to change based on mood!

Beach trips for me now always have Lost Souls playing for the sun and water songs. Some may find that nuts, I get it. "Rise" has become my go-to there as well. The harmonica on that one is a great long walk in the sand song.

Absolutely brilliant album. Still one of the best bands I've seen live. Saw them not long after "Last Broadcast" came out so most of the music was from the album and the energy was palpable. One of those albums thats all killer and no filler. Obviously the odd skippable track but even then not that often.

As the reviewer states, caught by the river is my fave from the album but Words, There Goes the Fear and Pounding are absolute belters and songs that will stay in my playlist for perpetuity.

9.5/10

PS. at the gig Space Face encore - absolute limbs

Last edited:
I've not played it for a while so put it on now, musically the depth is obvious, its just a bit darker than other band of that type, but its hits a sweet spot for me. They should have been much bigger, almost on a par with Oasis.

Jimi is a bit of a pricck though when I’ve seen him, first album down at sheperds bush empire, then again later on his own, just moaning like and wouldn't let it go, then seen them again a couple of years ago and much better, maybe he's matured a bit.

Pitchfolk gave Broadcast an 8 score but gave Lost Souls a 6.8, fecking jokers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.