The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Correct, and Doves' team became my team. I've visited Manchester and toured Etihad stadium just over a year ago, but nothing like what those of you get to experience from the area.

Thanks for that photo!

We have unofficial 4th member Martin Rebelski on keys to the left, then Jimi playing bass as a leftie (hey to Sir Paul), Andy a being blocked on drums, and then Jez singing on the right. Maybe they're playing "Words" given Jez is singing here?
Saw them live and Jimi and Andy (I think) changed instruments. Jimi went on Drums and didnt miss a beat (boom boom)

Absolutely brilliant album. Still one of the best bands I've seen live. Saw them not long after "Last Broadcast" came out so most of the music was from the album and the energy was palpable.
So. Very. Envious! ;-)
One of those albums thats all killer and no filler. Obviously the odd skippable track but even then not that often.
The thirtysomething me was not big into the likes of "Friday's Dust" when I first started on them, but additional earbud listens, musical maturity, and just the complexity of making such a tune like that in the middle of songs like "Satellites" and "Pounding" now just have me in awe appreciation.

As the reviewer states, caught by the river is my fave from the album but Words, There Goes the Fear and Pounding are absolute belters and songs that will stay in my playlist for perpetuity.

9.5/10

PS. at the gig Space Face encore - absolute limbs
Thank you for reviewing and listening again! Until we share a bevvie at my first gig. ;-)

I've not played it for a while so put it on now, musically the depth is obvious, its just a bit darker than other band of that type, but its hits a sweet spot for me. They should have been much bigger, almost on a par with Oasis.
My family laughed at me when I once suggested the same, but after many albums and continued quality of each later, that no longer happens. ("Dad, what IS this 'Jetstream' song and is that singer OK?")

They've been subjected to many Doves road trips, and on the M62 with that song they could finally appreciate it at night.

My adult son and I got to see Noel and the High Flying Birds together live a few years ago, so I'm glad some quality has been passed successfully to the next generation. ;-)

Jimi is a bit of a pricck though when I’ve seen him, first album down at sheperds bush empire, then again later on his own, just moaning like and wouldn't let it go, then seen them again a couple of years ago and much better, maybe he's matured a bit.

I'm optimistic for Jimi and the band's overall health going forward.

"May all your favorite bands stay together"

Pitchfolk gave Broadcast an 8 score but gave Lost Souls a 6.8, fecking jokers.
No way on that. And I'd have almost suspected the opposite too.

Last edited:
I'm almost certain there was a third artist. I've tried googling but cannot find out. I'm familiar with a few Badly Drawn Boy tracks and i like - You Were Right, Born Again and Once Around The Block. But yeah, the occasion turned out to be a damp squib after watching us lose 0-1, typical City; )

Last night I got Gary James's book 'Farewell to Maine Rd' down from the shelf to see if he mentioned who played other than Doves/BDB. Turns out there were four acts; the other two were a Blues Brothers band and an Oasis tribute band. I have absolutely no recollection of the Oasis tribute band, but then there was quite a lot of stuff going on simultaneously.

The Last Broadcast - Doves

We’ve had this conversation recently that if you don’t like a genre, then you tend to think that most offerings in that genre sound the same, and it’s definitely that way for me and the UK indie music scene. In attempting to forge their own sound, it seems to me that too many of these bands forget all the lessons provided by countless great acts over the decades – they restrict their sound to basic guitar, drums and bass, don’t bother with any instrumental virtuosity, they’ll throw in some daft noises and stick a guy at the front who mumbles into the microphone.

For at least some of the songs, Doves are guilty of some of the above, but thankfully Jez Williams is more of a singer than a mumbler.

“Words” ticks along at a nice pace, the piano (keyboards?) tinkling along with the melody combining with the vocals to providing a stirring anthemic quality.

"There Goes the Fear" is all a bit dull indie, but the acoustic guitar introduced in “M62 Song” makes the band sound a little different and the subtle haunting sound effects work in this case.

"Where We're Calling From", a short and well-executed atmospheric piece leads us into “N.Y.” which, like one of the tracks on last week’s offering, stands out because of the changes of tone and pace as the song progresses.

I was frustrated by “Satellites” – it comes alive in the last 90 seconds or so with the appearance of a proper old-school organ and a nice vocal arrangement, but getting to that point was such a bland experience that it didn’t feel worth the effort! Conversely, the title track sounds like it’s going to be different but after an interesting intro, it’s back to indie 101.

I also enjoyed "Friday's Dust" for the orchestral parts and acoustics, and "Caught by the River", which is probably the best song here.

On those songs that I like, it sounds like Doves are trying to be themselves, standing out from the crowd. But quite a few of the rest have that pedestrian feeling. Whilst I’m generally happy to listen to anything by a band playing their instruments, this album doesn’t give me enough moments: places where a piece of guitar or other instrument makes me sit up and take notice. It’s the old “hooks” comment that we frequently return to on this thread. There are a lot of attempts to create atmosphere on this album – sometimes it lands, like in “M62 Song”, but a lot of the time it plays out as indistinct instruments lost in a mushy mix e.g. “Pounding”, where it sounds like Coldplay have come on as a late substitution.

Like a lot of albums, The Last Broadcast shines when the band throw something a little different into the mix, such as an acoustic guitar or orchestral instruments, or when there’s a change of tone or pace in the song. But at least half the songs plough that generic indie furrow that doesn’t do anything for me.

My reaction to this album is very similar to the Powderfinger album last week – except that the high points on that album were higher than those on offer here. So, it’s a respectable 6/10 from me.

Last night I got Gary James's book 'Farewell to Maine Rd' down from the shelf to see if he mentioned who played other than Doves/BDB. Turns out there were four acts; the other two were a Blues Brothers band and an Oasis tribute band. I have absolutely no recollection of the Oasis tribute band, but then there was quite a lot of stuff going on simultaneously.
I definitely don't remember the other 2 acts, maybe they performed after Doves and BDB? If so i wasn't there as I have no recollection of them playing.

It's all good. Much appreciated, mate.

Doves are back together in the studio as per an interview with Jez last month, and I WILL see them if they tour again. ;-)

Since you don't have a new album to listen to this week, give Irish Basement's Heaven or Hell album a go. A bit The National with a sprinkle of Placebo. One for @journolud might want to circle back to at some point as well.

Since you don't have a new album to listen to this week, give Irish Basement's Heaven or Hell album a go. A bit The National with a sprinkle of Placebo. One for @journolud might want to circle back to at some point as well.
I had actually planned to circle back on one of the ones (bottom of the list, right?) from page 1 here that I wasn't around for to give that a go, assuming the How Are You Feeling? playlist doesn't get too long again!

Much appreciated on this suggestion too.

The Last Broadcast - Doves

We’ve had this conversation recently that if you don’t like a genre, then you tend to think that most offerings in that genre sound the same, and it’s definitely that way for me and the UK indie music scene. In attempting to forge their own sound, it seems to me that too many of these bands forget all the lessons provided by countless great acts over the decades – they restrict their sound to basic guitar, drums and bass, don’t bother with any instrumental virtuosity, they’ll throw in some daft noises and stick a guy at the front who mumbles into the microphone.

For at least some of the songs, Doves are guilty of some of the above, but thankfully Jez Williams is more of a singer than a mumbler.

“Words” ticks along at a nice pace, the piano (keyboards?) tinkling along with the melody combining with the vocals to providing a stirring anthemic quality.

"There Goes the Fear" is all a bit dull indie, but the acoustic guitar introduced in “M62 Song” makes the band sound a little different and the subtle haunting sound effects work in this case.

"Where We're Calling From", a short and well-executed atmospheric piece leads us into “N.Y.” which, like one of the tracks on last week’s offering, stands out because of the changes of tone and pace as the song progresses.

I was frustrated by “Satellites” – it comes alive in the last 90 seconds or so with the appearance of a proper old-school organ and a nice vocal arrangement, but getting to that point was such a bland experience that it didn’t feel worth the effort! Conversely, the title track sounds like it’s going to be different but after an interesting intro, it’s back to indie 101.

I also enjoyed "Friday's Dust" for the orchestral parts and acoustics, and "Caught by the River", which is probably the best song here.

On those songs that I like, it sounds like Doves are trying to be themselves, standing out from the crowd. But quite a few of the rest have that pedestrian feeling. Whilst I’m generally happy to listen to anything by a band playing their instruments, this album doesn’t give me enough moments: places where a piece of guitar or other instrument makes me sit up and take notice. It’s the old “hooks” comment that we frequently return to on this thread. There are a lot of attempts to create atmosphere on this album – sometimes it lands, like in “M62 Song”, but a lot of the time it plays out as indistinct instruments lost in a mushy mix e.g. “Pounding”, where it sounds like Coldplay have come on as a late substitution.

Like a lot of albums, The Last Broadcast shines when the band throw something a little different into the mix, such as an acoustic guitar or orchestral instruments, or when there’s a change of tone or pace in the song. But at least half the songs plough that generic indie furrow that doesn’t do anything for me.

My reaction to this album is very similar to the Powderfinger album last week – except that the high points on that album were higher than those on offer here. So, it’s a respectable 6/10 from me.

It’s a nice summary but to chuck ‘there goes the fear’ into a barely one line scrap heap is unacceptable!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.