The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Always appreciated!

Ah, the things the UCL coverage doesn't capture. Must have been a sight for sure. Getting Haaland's attention from the stands I would not have thought possible.

He was only about 6 rows up and the atmosphere was pretty quiet for a large chunk of last night so you'd be surprised. Crossed my mind to try and record him for a sample for the track in question but quality wouldn't have been great. Felt a bit sorry for him, he was pissed but harmless.

As for the nomination, in terms of I rather like the tempo of the first track. Not everything has to hit you between the eyes. This one felt like the musical equivalent of waking up in the morning, you're not quite with it yet but you're slowly going to get your engine going. Mean this in a good way.

He was only about 6 rows up and the atmosphere was pretty quiet for a large chunk of last night so you'd be surprised. Crossed my mind to try and record him for a sample for the track in question but quality wouldn't have been great. Felt a bit sorry for him, he was pissed but harmless.

As for the nomination, in terms of I rather like the tempo of the first track. Not everything has to hit you between the eyes. This one felt like the musical equivalent of waking up in the morning, you're not quite with it yet but you're slowly going to get your engine going. Mean this in a good way.

Sounds like a fucking legend.

Just had my first listen. Hmm, not for me, this. Not my usual thing but I'll persevere.

Ok ok, if we must talk about the album on the album thread one listen in and I'm quite keen so far.

On the subject of one liners that pop into your mind like 'sweep the dirty stairs', thanks to whoever it was nominated Family of The Year in one of the playlists whenever the doorbell rings I now have the Pavlovian response of singing "there's someone on our door step, on our door f***king step" to myself.

Last edited:
Ok ok, if we must talk about the album on the album thread one listen in and I'm quite keen so far.

On the subject of one liners that pop into your mind like 'sweep the dirty stairs' thanks to whoever it was nominated Family of The Year in one of the playlists because whenever the doorbell rings I now have the Pavlovian response of singing "there's someone on our door step, on our door f***king step" to myself.

Ha, my one for that instance is 'who's that knockin' on my door, what you tryin' to bother me for, don't want none of what you're sellin' from Prophets of Rage's Pop Goes the weapon. Fuckin tune!

A promising first listen, more hits than misses up to know but will be interesting to see what substance there is to it on repeated plays. Refreshingly easy so far, not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Approval from my Blink182 fan son.

A bit odd, but a few times on this album Jim Adkins brings Paddy McAloon to mind.

Interesting. My gut is stopping me thinking that, less depth I would say
But then there's Johnny Johnny, which, fair play to you.

I would imagine you will also not fail to notice the bass on this album.

Interesting. My gut is stopping me thinking that, less depth I would say
But then there's Johnny Johnny, which, fair play to you.

I would imagine you will also not fail to notice the bass on this album.

Yes, that's why I said a bit odd as there's no real obvious points of comparison (btw I would argue there's more depth to paddy mcaloon than might meet the eye).

I'm not going to rehash the whole emo conversation but so far this is another album where I don't really find the label often applied to them particularly useful.

What I'm quite liking about it so far is it has just about the right amount of various things. 'Just about the right amount' is a hard thing to pull of well. Last week's pick was a fun and object lesson in making no attempt to have just the right amount of anything really and so this is a nice contrast.

Going to do my full listens and score before I watch the set on YT but I am looking forward to that. Notwithstanding it's lyrical leanings, I can well see/hear how it would have been a good pick me up during COVID and certainly less deranged than watching Mr & Mrs Fripp in their kitchen.

What you might notice, it is just about an hour long video, without any adverts. When these days you probably get like 3 adverts in an average 4 minute video.

They paid, to buy out the adverts off youtube, to allow people to enjoy it all in one sitting. Not only was it a free recording during covid, they went out their way to have it uninterrupted.

They are also adequately socially distanced, as you can see.

I agree with Spires though, listening first and watching later is the way to go imo.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.