The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

rock a doodledoo musical seekers of the truth I know you will love this Christmas message from me, Nicey and my great mate Smashey.

Have a satsumatastic Christmas and rocktastic New Year with your cherished loved ones and don't forget to give plenty to Charidee!

Cheers @Saddleworth2 - all the best to you and yours.

Probably a good place and time to say Merry Christmas to everybody and thanks for all the discussion and banter on the music threads this year. I’ve had a great time and hopefully we can keep it going in the new year.

What an interesting record Gypsy Blood is. It did grow on me, but choked itself of air and water too, almost on purpose.

I was trying to place this in the context of what I know already, and boy, was that difficult. There's a little Elvis Costello -- more than a little, actually, but much, much darker and stranger. There's some Killing Joke, and some Stranglers. There's some Ramones, slowed down. There's doo-wop pop, almost 50s-ish, even Stray Cat-like (sorry). The hooks are thin in spots, but jumpy enough in other spots. Power chords come out of nowhere; tinkling guitar shows up in unexpected places.

But what I struggled with most of all was the choruses, the places where the songs rest, and that's when the dissonance Jackie Leven brings to bear muddies all the water. It as if he knows he has a nearly-conventional pop tune by the balls, and has to damage it somehow, by changing volume or octaves or going in and out of tune.

It's all very unique and enigmatic and almost experimental, but I don't buy for a second that "the music was judged out of step with other bands of the time" as per the Wiki entry -- this was 1979, when The Clash came to be and the B-52s and Talking Heads were widely celebrated, both quirky bands to say the least. The issue here isn't even that the music is hard to categorize. It just isn't radio-friendly in any way -- the quirkiness isn't funny, or novel . . . it's more disquieting. Sometimes the music feels stand-offish, and best I can tell from what I've read about these guys, they weren't easy to handle -- street kids who scared the shit out of Devo and fought with Hawkwind.

I liked what would have been "side 2" more than "side 1", although "Teenage Lightning" IS a very good opener. I struggled after that as the songs went in and out of frame without really sparking anything in me. "Binary Fiction" was my favo(u)rite here and effectively disco (an early version of late Gang of Four to be sure). I also liked "Highland Rain", where the wavering of the vocals in and out on tone and tune fits the music's timbre and the guitar takes over the chorus to some degree. I'm curious what happened to the guitarist Jo Shaw, who when allowed to express himself musically seems to have something to say.

I don't see a lost masterpiece here -- I see a band with limitations stretching itself as far as it could go without kowtowing to convention. That's an accomplishment, and I am no stranger to music which attempts to defy convention. But it's hard to make an emotional connection with this at least for me.

5/10. I wanted to like it more.

What an interesting record Gypsy Blood is. It did grow on me, but choked itself of air and water too, almost on purpose.

I was trying to place this in the context of what I know already, and boy, was that difficult. There's a little Elvis Costello -- more than a little, actually, but much, much darker and stranger. There's some Killing Joke, and some Stranglers. There's some Ramones, slowed down. There's doo-wop pop, almost 50s-ish, even Stray Cat-like (sorry). The hooks are thin in spots, but jumpy enough in other spots. Power chords come out of nowhere; tinkling guitar shows up in unexpected places.

But what I struggled with most of all was the choruses, the places where the songs rest, and that's when the dissonance Jackie Leven brings to bear muddies all the water. It as if he knows he has a nearly-conventional pop tune by the balls, and has to damage it somehow, by changing volume or octaves or going in and out of tune.

It's all very unique and enigmatic and almost experimental, but I don't buy for a second that "the music was judged out of step with other bands of the time" as per the Wiki entry -- this was 1979, when The Clash came to be and the B-52s and Talking Heads were widely celebrated, both quirky bands to say the least. The issue here isn't even that the music is hard to categorize. It just isn't radio-friendly in any way -- the quirkiness isn't funny, or novel . . . it's more disquieting. Sometimes the music feels stand-offish, and best I can tell from what I've read about these guys, they weren't easy to handle -- street kids who scared the shit out of Devo and fought with Hawkwind.

I liked what would have been "side 2" more than "side 1", although "Teenage Lightning" IS a very good opener. I struggled after that as the songs went in and out of frame without really sparking anything in me. "Binary Fiction" was my favo(u)rite here and effectively disco (an early version of late Gang of Four to be sure). I also liked "Highland Rain", where the wavering of the vocals in and out on tone and tune fits the music's timbre and the guitar takes over the chorus to some degree. I'm curious what happened to the guitarist Jo Shaw, who when allowed to express himself musically seems to have something to say.

I don't see a lost masterpiece here -- I see a band with limitations stretching itself as far as it could go without kowtowing to convention. That's an accomplishment, and I am no stranger to music which attempts to defy convention. But it's hard to make an emotional connection with this at least for me.

5/10. I wanted to like it more.
I think I read in one of many articles I looked at that Jo Shaw (at the time of writing at least) was involved in the design and build of bespoke recording studios

I’ve listened to this album more than any others nominated of the ones I hadn’t heard before and I’m still not sure about it.Ive got Jackie Levens ‘The Mystery of love’ but until recently I haven’t heard it for years and it’s very different to this.
There are some good tracks on it I particularly like ‘Stripshow’ ’Highland Rain,and Hey Sweetheart’There are lots of different influences, most american.I like Jackie’s vocals on most of the songs and the tracks are very varied in sound.
I might not play the whole album again but i will definitely play the above tracks.

All in all a good pick journolud

7/10

I’m up next

thanks again Rob for such a great thread

Happy Holidays to all my fellow music aficionados

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.