The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Gypsy Blood is an 8 from me. Saw them live at the time. Love all their albums and most of Jackie Leven's (RIP) solo stuff. Amazing voice but some of his vocalisations can grind my gears at times. Can't hear the similarities with the Tubes and I love both bands.

Still got all Doll by Doll on vinyl and the sound is better than the ripped stuff. They could sure play and live they were one of the great undiscovered bands of the era.

Strip Show is my favourite track but I prefer their Remember album which would be a 9 for me.
I’m amazed and pleased there is someone else not only to have heard of them but to appreciate them too. Jealous of course that you saw them live in their pomp

Wow, I would have thought it well-nigh impossible that someone else here would be familiar with The Tubes "Remote Control." This IS a marvelous thread!

The Tubes self-titled first record is one of my all-time favo(u)rites and is THE record I turn to when homesick for San Francisco.
I saw The Tubes at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester in 1978 with a few mates but I was so drunk that I fell asleep and they woke me up at the end of the gig. I was gutted that I had missed more or less all of it.

The following week I was staying in London as part of some training for work and I managed to get a ticket to see them at the Hammersmith Odeon. This time I was on my own and stone cold sober so I saw a great show. It was a show too as they were obviously as much about the theatrics as the music and they were brilliant. The only other band that made me laugh as much were Devo, who I also saw at the Free Trade Hall.

Wow, I would have thought it well-nigh impossible that someone else here would be familiar with The Tubes "Remote Control." This IS a marvelous thread!

The Tubes self-titled first record is one of my all-time favo(u)rites and is THE record I turn t
Remote Control one of my top albums ruined by Todd's production values (or lack of them). Did he ever produce a decent sounding album!!!??

I’m amazed and pleased there is someone else not only to have heard of them but to appreciate them too. Jealous of course that you saw them live in their pomp
Got to see and meet Jackie several times over the years... Last time was a pub in Ottley in the late 90s. He was a drinker and a fine story teller over a pint. His voice was extraordinary. He shared about his tough times with mental health but was always funny as fck.

Got to see and meet Jackie several times over the years... Last time was a pub in Ottley in the late 90s. He was a drinker and a fine story teller over a pint. His voice was extraordinary. He shared about his tough times with mental health but was always funny as fck.
I saw him live once, a criminally under filled venue early on in his solo career. Lost touch with him for quite a while, wasn’t initially over enamoured with his solo stuff but am working my way through his albums now.

There’s a lot to go at but songs like Snow in Central Park, Call Mother a Lonely Field and the Sexual Loneliness of Jesus Christ are up there with anything done by anybody.

I went to try and buy the vinyl version of last years compilation album a couple of weeks ago but wasn’t available in the usual haunts and looks like Amazon are out of it too

I saw The Tubes at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester in 1978 with a few mates but I was so drunk that I fell asleep and they woke me up at the end of the gig. I was gutted that I had missed more or less all of it.

The following week I was staying in London as part of some training for work and I managed to get a ticket to see them at the Hammersmith Odeon. This time I was on my own and stone cold sober so I saw a great show. It was a show too as they were obviously as much about the theatrics as the music and they were brilliant. The only other band that made me laugh as much were Devo, who I also saw at the Free Trade Hall.
I went to the Free Trade Hall gig too, not sure why ,as I wasn’t a big fan of ‘The Tubes’ music although the stage show was good, it may have been to be the support band although I can’t remember who it was, maybe ‘Mink Deville’ ?

I went to the Free Trade Hall gig too, not sure why ,as I wasn’t a big fan of ‘The Tubes’ music although the stage show was good, it may have been to be the support band although I can’t remember who it was, maybe ‘Mink Deville’ ?
I can’t remember The Tubes at the FTH never mind the support :)

Just had a Google and they supported Doctor Feelgood in 1977 there so maybe a different gig?

rock a doodledoo musical seekers of the truth I know you will love this Christmas message from me, Nicey and my great mate Smashey.

Have a satsumatastic Christmas and rocktastic New Year with your cherished loved ones and don't forget to give plenty to Charidee!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.