The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

was nice break to have softer pop and it sounded nice enough to the ear. Thought the production was good, and considering this was 1979 - i thought it sounded more 1999 and dare I say … could pass as ‘Wet Wet Wet’ Album.

Teenage Lightning was a good lively opener ,
Enjoyed Gypsy Blood, best track on here Human Face and Stripshow was a nice slow one.

couldn’t warm to any of the rest and it just lacked that bite for me.

It was ok.

5/10

was nice break to have softer pop and it sounded nice enough to the ear. Thought the production was good, and considering this was 1979 - i thought it sounded more 1999 and dare I say … could pass as ‘Wet Wet Wet’ Album.

Teenage Lightning was a good lively opener ,
Enjoyed Gypsy Blood, best track on here Human Face and Stripshow was a nice slow one.

couldn’t warm to any of the rest and it just lacked that bite for me.

It was ok.

5/10
Further to my last post about this album I've enjoyed listening to it a couple more times and I'm giving it 6 out of 10.

Last edited:
In the spirit of truth and openness, I have only listened to this album once whilst doing other stuff so its difficult for me to rate it properly. It didn't set my world alight and neither did it send me scurrying for the off switch. Really sorry, just been so busy. On the basis of what I heard I will give it a straight down the middle 5/10.

Doll by Doll
Gypsy Blood
I reckon the frequent contributors to these threads can guess how I enjoyed this one ;-)

Great write up @journolud and I like your introduction to the band based on the 10p investment :-)

Yet again I find myself breaking new ground.

That being said, I didn't really get it at all.

Is it yet another album that's partly written from a mythological fantasy POV (so is it inspired by Prog rock?)?

As we like to do across these threads I was trying to pigeon hole it into a genre but I was slightly nonplussed.

According to our good friends at Google;

Alternative Rock, Folk Rock, Experimental, Acoustic

That's sorted that then ;-)

There's a couple of ok riffs (I'm predominantly thinking of strip show and the start of another that now eludes me) but there isn't anything that grips me or pulls me in - I'm listening to it at arms length with very little investment.

A lot of the sound is almost too polite somehow almost kind of American school dance somehow (and I thought I had wondered into a born again Christian convention whilst listening to Human Face).

Disappointingly I don't really warm to the vocals at any point - just doesn't really grip or intrigue somehow.

So unfortunately this one falls a fair way down the richter scale for me - I'm going a 3/10. It's had 4 spins and hasn't won me over (although to be fair it's not been the easiest week for new music so it may have been on a hiding to nothing).

Happy Christmas Mooners - I am currently housebound as twatty over here managed to return a positive PCR on Christmas fucking eve (completely screwing everyone's plans).

What a life.......... :-)

Doll by Doll
Gypsy Blood
I reckon the frequent contributors to these threads can guess how I enjoyed this one ;-)

Great write up @journolud and I like your introduction to the band based on the 10p investment :-)

Is it yet another album that's partly written from a mythological fantasy POV (so is it inspired by Prog rock?)?

As we like to do across these threads I was trying to pigeon hole it into a genre but I was slightly nonplussed.

There's a couple of ok riffs (I'm predominantly thinking of strip show and the start of another that now eludes me) but there isn't anything that grips me or pulls me in - I'm listening to it at arms length with very little investment.

A lot of the sound is almost too polite somehow almost kind of American school dance somehow (and I thought I had wondered into a born again Christian convention whilst listening to Human Face).

Disappointingly I don't really warm to the vocals at any point - just doesn't really grip or intrigue somehow.

So unfortunately this one falls a fair way down the richter scale for me - I'm going a 3/10. It's had 4 spins and hasn't won me over (although to be fair it's not been the easiest week for new music so it may have been on a hiding to nothing).

Happy Christmas Mooners - I am currently housebound as twatty over here managed to return a positive PCR on Christmas fucking eve (completely screwing everyone's plans).

Bad luck mate. Hope it’s mild. My youngest got it last Wednesday, now his wife and two girls have also got it. Symptoms no worse than a cold but confined to barracks :-(

Bad luck mate. Hope it’s mild. My youngest got it last Wednesday, now his wife and two girls have also got it. Symptoms no worse than a cold but confined to barracks :-(
I'm fine but it's a weird combination of ailments thus far.

Started off feverish and being hot and cold (completely sweat through the bed on consecutive nights) and I am now on more of a cold, tight chest but still fatigued.

Could be a lot worse (although trying to parent at the same time doesn't help much)......... ;-)

Doll by Doll
Gypsy Blood

4 listens is dedication to the task, sorry you didn’t get more out of it, goes to show once again, as if we needed any reminding how subjective musical taste is. I reckon the last couple of scores have knocked what might have been a promising mid table position for it but so it goes, it’ll remain close to the top of my favourites.

This Covid is a fucker, my wife has had it over Christmas and remains fatigued while I take the sofa at night to minimise my chances of missing work. The bonus being I can pop cricket on if I can’t sleep. That though is enough to make a grown man weep even more than philistines not recognising a lost masterpiece when they hear it ;-)

So I actually met him (casually) when he and his girlfriend were seated at the same teppanyaki table my friends and I were at the San Francisco Benihana. I remember him as a big, incredibly goofy-looking guy but very outgoing and personable, kind of like you’d expect. This would have been like early 80s I think. I wish I’d bothered him more in retrospect!
We sat next to one of Take That in Swiss Cottage Benihana many years back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.