The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Surely got me and Fog round the wrong way
I had you down for We Wait Bluehammer but now I am not so sure.

If not there is only one other on the list I can associate with you from your past but you might have me completely fooled.

Only three outside my own I am confident on.

A very nice playlist and nothing I truly hated. Probably need a bit longer to come up with a top 5, deciding whether to favour tracks/artists I'm not familiar with. Current thinking...

Not for want of trying - Nice lively opening gives way to a cinematic accompaniment to that fantastic monologue, good stuff.
Prowler - Iron Maiden have always been a much easier listen for me than lots of other metal bands. This being the earlier line up I quite like the slightly less polished feel.
You were On My Mind - Classic 60s' pop and doesn't outstay it's welcome which it might have done if it was a bit longer
Madman Across The Water - I feel like someone dressed as a Stormtrooper at a Star Trek fancy dress party. Everyone seems to love it but I'm just not feeling it. At one level I can hear it's a well constructed and well performed song but it just leaves me cold.
Boyz - Not really for me I'm afraid, too linear and needs a bit more substance to the lyrics.
One Day - Don't mind a bit of Bjork now and again, be interested to know the thinking behind the choosing of this track though as I'm not sure it's one of the strongest on Debut
Busted - Like the Black Keys so no surprise I like this, anything that pays homage to the Fat Possum sound is good for me.
We Wait - Put in me in mind of Tindersticks in terms of writing style which is a good thing.
Into White - Yusef/Cat is someone I always feel I should become more familiar with but never get round to it. It's of it's era but nice nonetheless.
Trigger Inside - Not that shouty and not that noisy, ok but if anything would probably like it to be a bit more visceral
Surf's Up - Mentioned this in an earlier post, whilst some bits of Smile are great I don't understand it's reputation and I find this song soporific
Crow - Gentle and well considered , listened to their most recent album and enjoyed it. Definitely a top five candidate.
Blue Hotel - Ryan Adams should be in my wheelhouse but he's never quite cut through with me. I like this though.
Absolutely Barking Stars - know this song and like it a lot but might have been nice to have a bit of Lone Justice instead.
Under My Skin - On paper I should like Dan Reed Network more than I do, not bad find them a bit cliched at times.
Yellow Moon - What's not to love about a bit of Aaron and his brothers? Great track but not the best on this album imo.
Norland Wind - A very successful setting for a beautiful poem.
Madman across the water is a very good song. I don't much like Elton's version but do like this one. From Two Rooms, a very very good album in celebration of his work with Bernie:

Whilst I remain confident, I realise that mine is the first guess and so it’s easy for you to say that

Out of interest did you record incoming results as they came in, or go bach through the thread and tally all up at the end (the last time)?

Out of interest did you record incoming results as they came in, or go bach through the thread and tally all up at the end
I ended up doing most of them together because I was away at Christmas whilst the results were rolling in.

No, I have a few of Tomita’s albums. In fact I bought one of the early vinyl copies of his Planets before the Holst family tried to make him withdraw it for not getting permission. I also have stuff by Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre
I just find Stravinsky’s atonal discord painful.
The only bit of Stravinsky I like is the opening of the firebird suite that Yes used to open their concerts with. Every time I hear it it brings back brilliant memories.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.