The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

No, I have a few of Tomita’s albums. In fact I bought one of the early vinyl copies of his Planets before the Holst family tried to make him withdraw it for not getting permission. I also have stuff by Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre
I just find Stravinsky’s atonal discord painful.

Think I was guilty of unfairly projecting your antipathy towards synth pop/electronica onto anything synthesized.

Prompted by your comment I listened to JMJ's Equinoxe in the car tonight. It's of it's time but still sounds good to me all these years later.

The only bit of Stravinsky I like is the opening of the firebird suite that Yes used to open their concerts with. Every time I hear it it brings back brilliant memories.

I think the firebird suite was early doors and pretty conventional before he moved onto his more avant garde stuff. Melody not really his thing was it. I think he's interesting but in pretty small doses. I know he's lionised as one of the most important of the 20th century but he was also pretty good at self-promotion. I hadn't realised till we had the Warren Zevon pick that as a teenager Zevon used to go round to Stravinsky's house and drink whisky and eat cheese when I think he was supposed to be learning modern classical composition from him!

Madman across the water is a very good song. I don't much like Elton's version but do like this one. From Two Rooms, a very very good album in celebration of his work with Bernie:

A few things on there I think I prefer to the original, including the version of madman across the water. Undecided about KB's bonkers cover of Rocket Man!

A few things on there I think I prefer to the original, including the version of madman across the water. Undecided about KB's bonkers cover of Rocket Man!
Bonkers? Her majesty? Bonkers? Best track on there :-)
Also liked George's cover and Sinead, Joe and Oleta.
Didn't much like The Who, JBJ or Sting.

I have given a few listens now and if I'm honest not much stuck. I only knew three of the tracks. My top 5 were all pleasant enough without really stirring the blood.

1. Frightened Rabbit
2. Cat Stevens
3. Other Lives
4. Bears Den (are they a Glasgow band? - they certainly have been listening to too much Snow Patrol)
5. Elton - more because I think its a good song than his performance of it.

I have given a few listens now and if I'm honest not much stuck. I only knew three of the tracks. My top 5 were all pleasant enough without really stirring the blood.

1. Frightened Rabbit
2. Cat Stevens
3. Other Lives
4. Bears Den (are they a Glasgow band? - they certainly have been listening to too much Snow Patrol)
5. Elton - more because I think its a good song than his performance of it.

4. London (lead singer parents and family are Scottish)

Looking forward to the guesses flooding in this weekend, for late monday sometime. And top 5s for those that haven't yet done them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.