The Album Review Club - Week #141 - (page 1860) - JPEG Raw - Gary Clark Jr.

Looks like this particular title race will go to the last day then.

Absolutely no idea on who nominated what, so just did it randomly.

Maybeshewill ----- GornikDaze
Iron Maiden ----- dennislawsbackheel
Crispian St. Peters ----- journolud
Elton John ----- GoatersLeftShin
M.I.A. ----- BimboBob
Bjork ----- Saddleworth2
The Black Keys ----- Knaresboroughblue
Other Lives ----- FogBlueInSanFran
Cat Stevens ----- BlueHammer85
Therapy ----- Mancitydoogle
Brian Wilson (Smile Version) ----- RobMCFC
Bears Den ----- threespires
Ryan Adams and the Cardinals ----- bennyboy
Dan Reed ----- OB1
The Neville Brothers ----- mancity1
Frightened Rabbit ----- Coatigan

SPRING BREAK TOP 5

We wait- Other lives
Not heard of this band before sounds of Willard Grant Conspiracy and Calexico , the track reminds me of Chris Smither’s ‘Slow Suprise’I will definitely investigate more.

Not for want of trying - Maybeshewill
Biggest suprise track for me , definitely not my usual cup of teabut grew to love the way the music fits Peter Finch’s monologue the words of which are frighteningly apt nearly 50 years later, make me want to watch ‘Network ‘ again.

Norland Wind -Frightened Rabbit ,
I’ve really ground to like this band and most things they’ve done , this track is no exception.

Blue Hotel- Ryan Adams and The Cardinals , I’m a massive RA fanalthough this is not one of my favourites ,it’s a good song from a great period.It’s a shame he’s not had a return back to form although he’s in his most prolific form, two doubles and two single albums last year and already three albums of covers.BH beware he’s covered Morning Glory and Blood on The Tracks!

Madman Across The Water - Elton John
I was never a big EJ fan particularly not his later years , but this albumand the one before ‘Tumbleweed Connection’ are for me his best period.Great track although not my favourite from the album.

Other worthy mentions

You were on my mind - Crispian St Peters very catchy song but of its time.

Yellow Moon - The Neville Brothers, nice New Orleans jazz feel to it, who’d have thought Rat Face and Herman Munster could produce music like this.

Into white- Cat Stevens, great album that I’ve not listened to for yearsbut not my favourite song from it.

Prowler - Iron Maiden , never been a big fan but really enjoyed this track.

Crow - Bears Den , another band I’d not heard before ,good song.

Absolutely Barking Stars -Maria McKee, really liked Lone Justice
so this was familiar.

All in all a great playlist I’ve enjoyed listening to,I just need to pair the songs to the
contributors.

Ok top five first. I've taken a decision to favour stuff I wasn't familiar with, so congrats on your excellent taste to the nominators of Marie Mckee, The Black Keys, Iron Maiden and The Neville Brothers all of which are worthy of top 5 but they have been eschewed in favour of stuff that is new to me.

Crow - Bears Den

Whilst this does occasionally stray into the Gary Lightbody school of downbeat emoting I still really like it. Nothing innovative but considered and touching in equal measure. Will be exploring further.

Norland Wind - FR & Lau

Wasn't that keen on FR when we reviewed them but they have grown on me subsequently and this is a lovely collaboration.

Not for want of trying - Maybeshewill

Completely unknown to me but enjoyed this and some of their quite eclectic back catalogue too. At one level sampling an entire monologue is a bit of a cheat but what a monologue.

We Wait - Other Lives

Intelligent, slightly disorientating in a good way. Could even be forgiven for associating themselves with Radiohead :-)

You Were On My Mind - Crispin St Peter

No nonsense 60's pop, Orbison meets the Everlys. As and when it appears on autoplay in the future will be happy to singalong. In the interests of variety, this just beats the Ryan Adams into the top five.

It seems a bit perverse leaving out stuff I really like but the beauty of this whole thread to me is hearing new stuff for which I thank you all.

As for who picked what I have no idea but here's a go:

Maybeshewill - Benny
Iron Maiden - Gornick
Crispin St Peters - Denis
Elton John - Bimbo
Therapy - Foggy
Dan Reed Network - Rob
MIA - Host Bonus Pick
Bjork - Knaresborough
The Black Keys - OB1
Ryan Adams - Mancitydoogle
Cat Stevens - BlueHammer
Other Lives - Journolud
Brian Wilson - Mancity1
Maria McKee - Saddleworth
Neville Brothers - GoatersLeftShin
FR & Lau - Coatigan

What is it they call this over on the transfer threads?

Oh yes, Deadline Day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.