The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

@BimboBob 's latest nomination, The Groundhogs' Split, ground it's way to a respectable average of 5.88 via 12 voters. If threespires' recent nomination and Bob's lovely backstory aren't enough to remind us that scoring isn't the be-all and end-all, then I don't know what is. A lukewarm response to the song structure this week, but I think that there was an appreciation of the time and place where the music was conceived and consumed, and we can raise our collective glasses to Bobs dad (and @BlueHammer85 's dad who I believe died recently).

That takes us into a Christmas break, after which we'll complete the round with four more album nominations.

I was wondering what kind of playlist to have this time or whether to do one at all with the other playlist thread running along nicely. But I get the impression that people are keen to do the now traditional secret nomination and guessing game.

So I'm all ears on the theme. I was thinking maybe people could nominate a new song from this year, or failing that one they heard for the first time this year, or if not go back to 2022 etc.

Anybody got any better ideas?

We have until next Wednesday to build the playlist (send me a PM when we decide on a theme) and then I'll do any scoring/round-up around New Year ready for the albums to resume on 3rd January.

I'm keen on the break playlist here, not all the same posters do both threads, so imo shame for the regulars here to miss out.

I'll happily go with any theme or category put forward. Part of me thinks a good old fashioned free-for-all any song goes is always the best and gets variety going, but I'll find something in whatever is decided.

I forgot to offer that you take part in the guessing again, but I'll offer it up for the next one then, now while it is relevant.

I'm keen on the break playlist here, not all the same posters do both threads, so imo shame for the regulars here to miss out.

I'll happily go with any theme or category put forward. Part of me thinks a good old fashioned free-for-all any song goes is always the best and gets variety going, but I'll find something in whatever is decided.

I forgot to offer that you take part in the guessing again, but I'll offer it up for the next one then, now while it is relevant.
If you want to run this one, that's OK with me. I'll be away until New Year's Eve and so will be pressed for time (although I will find the time if necessary).

I prefer a free for all but a new song heard in 2023 is a bit open to interpretation isn’t it? Could still be a song from any era
Exactly, that was the idea. New song from this year if you can, but as a catch-all, something you first heard this year (although for many of us, there's a strong chance that such a song would have been heard as a result of one of the various music threads on here).

I prefer a free for all but a new song heard in 2023 is a bit open to interpretation isn’t it? Could still be a song from any era
I can and plan to stick to just music that came out in 2023.

My point to many of my friends still listening solely to music from prior decades is that there STILL is GREAT music being made, you just have to look for it.

Last edited:
@BimboBob 's latest nomination, The Groundhogs' Split, ground it's way to a respectable average of 5.88 via 12 voters. If threespires' recent nomination and Bob's lovely backstory aren't enough to remind us that scoring isn't the be-all and end-all, then I don't know what is. A lukewarm response to the song structure this week, but I think that there was an appreciation of the time and place where the music was conceived and consumed, and we can raise our collective glasses to Bobs dad (and @BlueHammer85 's dad who I believe died recently).

That takes us into a Christmas break, after which we'll complete the round with four more album nominations.

I was wondering what kind of playlist to have this time or whether to do one at all with the other playlist thread running along nicely. But I get the impression that people are keen to do the now traditional secret nomination and guessing game.

So I'm all ears on the theme. I was thinking maybe people could nominate a new song from this year, or failing that one they heard for the first time this year, or if not go back to 2022 etc.

Anybody got any better ideas?

We have until next Wednesday to build the playlist (send me a PM when we decide on a theme) and then I'll do any scoring/round-up around New Year ready for the albums to resume on 3rd January.
Thoughts with you and your family @BlueHammer85 - sorry to hear the news about your dad.

Initially I thought it was a bit restrictive but thinking about it I'm hoping that we mostly do stick with 2023 songs, this year there's been a mixture of older bands showing they're not done quite yet along with the new up and comers so hopefully they'll be something for everyone. Just hoping no-one goes nuclear and drops the Tay Tay bomb :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.