The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

Not really my cup of tea this, but I’ll give it a go. Can’t be any worse than The Streets… hopefully!
I don't think any of the tracks are as "abrasive" as anything on AGDCFF, save perhaps for Green Calx.
For me, so much of the pleasure in this album is the simplicity to start with and then the layering and addition of each little bit to build and build......but then the down side is the lack of "hooks" and with the seeming love of country themes and vibes for many here, this will certainly be a tough one to score highly for many.

@Coatigan pointed out that I havent really been here long enough to have shown my "genre". I like to think I cut across many with this offering being an all time fave which I would put alongside my love for The Lonesome Jublilee / Mellencamp (besides my generally not being the biggest fan of all things "country".

I don't think any of the tracks are as "abrasive" as anything on AGDCFF, save perhaps for Green Calx.
For me, so much of the pleasure in this album is the simplicity to start with and then the layering and addition of each little bit to build and build......but then the down side is the lack of "hooks" and with the seeming love of country themes and vibes for many here, this will certainly be a tough one to score highly for many.

@Coatigan pointed out that I havent really been here long enough to have shown my "genre". I like to think I cut across many with this offering being an all time fave which I would put alongside my love for The Lonesome Jublilee / Mellencamp (besides my generally not being the biggest fan of all things "country".
What’s your view of thrash metal? :)

I do like some metal although thrash not so much, although about the closest thing I own to that would be the cross over Anthrax/Public Enemy "Bring The Noise" which is excellent.
I suppose I am basically an Indie "kid" but then have plenty of "outliers"

Gornik doesn't venture onto the playlist thread. Eventhough it has some proper gems for him on there. I'll keep trying to entice him though ;)

Struggling big time with this.
I am too. Have listened to the majority of it now, but it’s leaving me cold emotionally and it doesn’t have enough oomph to move for the dancefloor (unsurprising tbf as ambient!).

On the plus side it’s way ahead of the game and no doubt an inspiration for some electronic artists in the decades after. But I also listen to Tangerine Dream from a lot earlier and think they did this better.

The problem I always had with him was that at the time 88-92 the last thing I wanted to listen to was chill out tunes, so I largely ignored him back then. I still have that uptempo sensibility, so I’ve never been tempted in the years since.
The electronic music I liked was light years away from this (Dave Clarke, Jeff Mills, Man With No Name).

The nearest I ever came would be the likes of FSOLs early tracks, the Sabresonic album, or some of the Orbital stuff. In terms of emotion I can think of a dozen Sasha productions which have more than anything I can hear on this album.

All that said, I do like to give ‘new’ albums a go now & again, so appreciate it being posted, and it’s tempted me to a thread I wouldn’t normally visit.

Had to take the advice of @BlueHammer85 and take a pill to try and get the most of this one - only had antihistamine in the house which always sends me to sleep.
I’m with @bennyboy this is a struggle. On the positive side I clicked on the wrong album on Spotify to start with and was faced with over 2 hours… wtf!!!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.