The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

Oh dear…

I got very similar results playing with GarageBand auto settings last night.
When there’s nobody playing a piano or a guitar or a hurdy-gurdy, there is a suspicion that it’s all automated. Whilst I don’t think that’s the case here, I share you sentiments to a certain extent.

Selected Ambient Works 85–92 – Aphex Twin

Ambient is not a genre I have spent much time listening to. In general, the odd song that I have heard doesn’t engage me in the way that a good story song does, or one with a great middle-8 or even one with some exceptional instrumental skill.

A brave choice by @LGWIO, but after two and a half listens, I’m out.

I know I've used this line more than once before, but for the most part, this sounds like somebody has got a CASIO keyboard for Christmas. I think the difference here is that he hasn’t gone mad with it and tried to get every sound onto the tunes. For the most part it’s tasteful, but ultimately not engaging for me. I could see it working as the background music to film, TV and particularly in documentaries, but it just doesn’t work for me as a standalone listen.

The opening track, “Xtal”, is a bit of a drone, and I’m not sure what “Tha” is meant to be – there’s not much going on and weird voices intrude like somebody is not respecting the sanctity of the recording studio.

“Ageispolis” – There’s an interesting melody going on there. The 80s computer game noises and tinny electronic drums are a little districting, but otherwise it was fine.

“Green Calx” sounds like a video game in progress - and I take back my comment about not trying to get every sound the keyboard can make into a tune because it feels Mr Aphex is bashing away on that electronic drum pad for all he’s worth. I know that LGWIO said that this is one of his favourites, but I’d rate this in the “just plain awful” category.

The transition to "Heliosphan” is a relief because this tune had a bit of melody that I enjoyed.

The odd voices that appear intermittently in “We are the Music Makers” put me off because they almost never work in music (although I’ll let him off as apparently, it’s the voice of the great Gene Wilder!) which is a shame because otherwise it’s not bad.

“Schottkey 7th Path” sounds like a slow-motion rave in a submarine (and not in a good way) This could definitely work in a Whale documentary or the as-yet-unmade Jacques Cousteau: The trippy years film. As I type this on my second listen, I’m weirdly enjoying this “tune”. “Ptolemy” was OK in achieving a bit of pace and melody.

“Actium” is the pick of the bunch because I like the way that the piano played around with a little riff over the bass and general thrum.

Whilst this was not to my taste, there were moments that I enjoyed, and for the most part, it was not as “in-yer-face” as The Streets’ album, which is why I’ll be scoring it higher. My frame of reference for this album is comparing it to two other albums that we’ve reviewed on this thread.

I enjoyed it less than the Michael Stearns album (which I scored 7) because that had a more organic, warm feeling to the layered keyboards and was free of the tinny CASIO keyboard sounds. In fact, whether you like this album or not may be determined by whether you are willing to accept the cold sound of a CASIO versus the beautiful, rich power of a Hammond.

However, I enjoyed it more than The Chemical Brothers album (which I scored 3) because that was way too bombastic and tuneless for my tastes. Splitting the difference between the two, and, accepting that this is never a genre that I will be fond of, I’ll score it a 5.

It’s not for me either. Too much annoying squaky synth was really unpleasant to my sensitive ears. Fair play to those that will critique every aspect as @RobMCFC had already done. Marginally better than The Steets so I’ll give it a 2

Not for me as well.I found every song boring.
Tried their last release an ep as well.Found it not to my taste as well.
Give it a 2 as it is the start of the year and looking to be more positive in these music threads.

I would start off with the line of you are all deluded, obviously becayuse you don't support "European Royalty" for whom every thing means more......
But back to reality. I respect highly the views of others and the time given to listening to the offering, and the time and effort in the critique/review.
It shows how we all take things in differently and perhaps how we link music to moments in our lives to give them that added something/resonance. As I said in my initial write up, this was discovered at a time that just fitted. It almost became a background soundtrack (as @RobMCFC said) and therefore holds a place in my heart/head.
The lack of hooks or vocals adds to this I think in that RDJ hasnt got lyrics to try and fit in with my own life.
I could perhaps have played it dafer and gone for my alternate 80s band choice, but shall save that for next time perhaps.
Still, I am waiting for the the 10s to come in from the other controbutors who are savouring this masterpeice to the very last minute!!!!!
Not sure whether I am meant to rate my own offering or not.

I would start off with the line of you are all deluded, obviously becayuse you don't support "European Royalty" for whom every thing means more......
But back to reality. I respect highly the views of others and the time given to listening to the offering, and the time and effort in the critique/review.
It shows how we all take things in differently and perhaps how we link music to moments in our lives to give them that added something/resonance. As I said in my initial write up, this was discovered at a time that just fitted. It almost became a background soundtrack (as @RobMCFC said) and therefore holds a place in my heart/head.
The lack of hooks or vocals adds to this I think in that RDJ hasnt got lyrics to try and fit in with my own life.
I could perhaps have played it dafer and gone for my alternate 80s band choice, but shall save that for next time perhaps.
Still, I am waiting for the the 10s to come in from the other controbutors who are savouring this masterpeice to the very last minute!!!!!
I think any piece of music can be special, based on when you heard it, resulting in it bringing back fond memories of a time and place. So I understand why you may have a connection to this album.

I know I said this in my long-winded review but I’ll say it again here because I think there are a good few on here who feel the same way. I find it very hard to appreciate music that doesn’t involve what I’d consider real instruments. I’ve no doubt that putting together this album involved a lot of technical skill, but for me it lacks the all-important performance element.

All of that doesn’t mean it was a bad choice - I think it’s good that we have a mix of albums on here. Looking at professional reviews, they seem to be falling all over themselves in praise for this album, so the negative reaction so far certainly isn’t indicative of the wider world.

As ever, I’ll look forward to reading what others think. You’ve been around here long enough to know that the sweet spot for reviews is Tuesday/Wednesday.

You are not, but you can give your team whatever score you fancy after today's performance in London. I'm sure you'll be generous.

And I'm still, uh, savouring? :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.