The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

There was quite a few of us who had alternatve suggestions for best Bob Seger songs that weren't on this Greatest Hits album but I guess that is the nature of these compilations, I'd be hard pressed to name one that I think is consitently good all the way through and not padded out with some arbitary choices for later in the artisist career that tries to convinve us that their star never waned. Or worse, the exclusive tracks that die hard fans will want to have.

I can fully understand all the criticism and all the praise for Bob Seger. I also understand what DLBH is getting at with his description of something to bung on and sing along to when on the open road. This isn't generally my type of music but one of my go to albums when driving and I want something easy to listen to is Tom Petty greatest hits. Even then though I find my concentration wavering and I'm getting a bit bored as we get to the later stages of it and I'm wishing for a bit more from Damn the Torpedoes.

I haven't listened to this album while travelling as such, unless you count driving into Manchester for the Destinations Show. I don't think it's quite the same but close...

A similar bit watered down experience to Tom Petty in that its' perfectly fine to,listen to. I'd mentioned before that I have Against the Wind and Hollywood Nights in my downloads, two great songs and for some reason I don't have Feel Like a Number which is my favourite song of his, although it does lack the apparent authenticity that someone like Springsten brings to those sort of working stiffs numbers.

I also listened to Stranger in Town as suggested by somebody and found that to be a generally more satisfying experience. There's a few teacks I'll take away from this greatest his though and add to my downloads when I get rlund to adding feels Like a Number. Nothng to quite match the songs I've mentioned but Night Moves is pretty good as is Turn the Page. Equally there are some pretty routine numbers. I don't know about AI but at it's worst there is little to distinguish him from a whole host of singer songwriters (some of whom to be fair have popped up on this thread before). I think this sort of stuff is fairly incidental to my main listening pleasures so would be hard pressed to find a whole album satisfiying. Classic rock is what I termed it as and after we'd listened to it in the car on Sunday we let Apple do it's thing of randomly p[icking tracks. Bruce was OK and a couple of others but then it seemed like the company we were keeping was Foreigner, dull and we eventually tunred to something else through Styx. Bob is better than them and I suspect on some albums better than this greatest hits. This musters a 6

Eh, screw it.

I'm several beers in on the Brightline train from Orlando to Miami for work, listening to the the greatest band in the history of Earth (that would be New Order, natch) and so I'm scoring this shit.

I wasn’t kidding when I said I'm living off a high of our result last weekend, and tomorrow night I'm having a nice steak dinner with another wonderful City fan friend (who I haven't seen since City v Club America in 2022 in Houston) who lives in Boca Raton after my Miami meetings.

So I give Bob a THREE. Yeah, you heard me right. One point for him trying, one point for City being the greatest football club on the planet, and one point for me being plastered.

Last edited:
Now Fog has submitted his vote I can cast mine. It’s a solid 10 from me :)

Edit: only kidding!! Having an older sibling I am very familiar with BS’s work. I have inherited his earlier albums and enjoyed listening to them over the years. As a few have mentioned I would have preferred the nomination to have been one of the early albums which I prefer listening to as a whole.
This compilation is decent with a few odd additions but some great tracks. Prefer the studio version of Turn The Page - and prefer the Metallica cover anyway ;)
Solid 7/10 for me. Includes one for the thought of DLBH belting out the vocals with his wife in the car. Music is a wonderful lift to the soul.

It's a good job the points are just for fun cause the scoring systems have gone to pot this week :-) points because of a City comeback, points for imagining sing-a-long-a-Dennis, points for being pissed at the point of scoring.

There should be an annual awards ceremony on this thread covering things such as "Most random reason for adding a point"; "Most damning review by someone who didn't actually listen to the pick" etc.

Bob Seger - Greatest Hits

Ok, Nice pick after the interesting and slightly obscure Ambient sounds of Aphex Twin previously.

Only ever knew two tracks of his - 'Night Moves' and 'Hollywood Nights' which always had a soft spot for, catchy nice Rock Pop.

Few tracks do sway dangerously close to Lionel Richie/Kenny Rogers territory which isn't actual criticism and thankfully a few tracks swing nicely to Springsteen territory especially 'Fire Inside' which is a good one.

'Turn The Page' is a nice live number and lyrically strong aswell as 'Who Needs Tonight' (I never knew he wrote this one)

'C'est La Vie' and 'Old Time Rock n Roll' are good fun.

Would have preferred a non best off Album and one of his earlier raw sounding tracks by all accounts - so a point reduction as this would have otherwise been a solid 6.

Now for a much needed spin of 'Come To Daddy'.

5/10

Rob, have you heard Gangstagrass - No Time For Enemies ? - Hop hop with banjos and resonators :-)

In southern drawl accents?

While we wait for final reviews on changeover day, I had my first album of 2024. Marika Hackman's album Big Sigh. Quite decent, right for a January. Anyone else had their first new album of the year so far?

In southern drawl accents?

While we wait for final reviews on changeover day, I had my first album of 2024. Marika Hackman's album Big Sigh. Quite decent, right for a January. Anyone else had their first new album of the year so far?

Think they're from Brooklyn so I guess there's some interstate cultural appropriation going on! Some of the backing vocals have a bit of a drawl.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.