The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

4.87 ?? Fucking amateur hour.

Perversely once it was clear which way the wind was blowing on my last pick, part of me thought fuck it, at least if I get a 3.x score it'll have some sort of infamy..but no just the ignominy of the bottom of the pile.

Hmm, what is he thinking?

It was supposed to be so easy, but my apologies for voting above the average and keeping it from the infamy you could well be in. Perhaps I was blinded by the lights, but I'll do better next time. Dry your eyes, indeed! ;-)

I was just about to ask if we had a full list and thought I better check page 1 before asking, I would rightfully have been called a lazy stupid basdard.
Anyway some crackers on there, a lot I do know and some I don't, I will be checking out the number one, never heard it, looking forward to that one, and then others after that from the back catalogue. Top work Rob on this, I'll be working my way through it.

Hmm, what is he thinking?

It was supposed to be so easy, but my apologies for voting above the average and keeping it from the infamy you could well be in. Perhaps I was blinded by the lights, but I'll do better next time. Dry your eyes, indeed! ;-)

I won't deny it..it was hard to take but their minds were made up. Plenty more nominations in the sea.

I was just about to ask if we had a full list and thought I better check page 1 before asking, I would rightfully have been called a lazy stupid basdard.
Anyway some crackers on there, a lot I do know and some I don't, I will be checking out the number one, never heard it, looking forward to that one, and then others after that from the back catalogue. Top work Rob on this, I'll be working my way through it.

Wholeheartedly agree, as another later arrivee to the thread it's been good fun going through the ones I missed out on. I was here for the JJ Cale which seemed to weave a bit of magical spell on the thread including many of us who were unfamiliar. There's a number of artists I enjoy courtesy of this thread that I very likely wouldn't have found under my own steam.

When I saw your comment I thought you were genuine Rob.

I think that Fog's response has influenced you to have a change of heart (LOL).

Gornik is more than capable of going toe to toe with Fog on a point of difference starting with a goad perhaps veiled towards Fog and anybody else who believes BS is overrated as anybody scoring this a 10 has to be goading.
What score for BS would not seem to be ‘goading’ in your humble opinion - just checking ;)

What score for BS would not seem to be ‘goading’ in your humble opinion - just checking ;)
It was a tongue in cheek remark based on my view of Robs post Gornik as I would never suggest seriously you were goading if scored the album with a perfect 10 I would take it on face value you believe it to be the an exceptional listen. Its just that I have a low opinion of BS as an artist and his catalogue. I don't rate any of his songs. I have a low opinion of a number of artists that I know many others would swear black and blue by.

It was a tongue in cheek remark based on my view of Robs post Gornik as I would never suggest seriously you were goading if scored the album with a perfect 10 I would take it on face value you believe it to be the an exceptional listen. Its just that I have a low opinion of BS as an artist and his catalogue. I don't rate any of his songs. I have a low opinion of a number of artists that I know many others would swear black and blue by.
That leaves the way open for a 10 then…. ;)

Glad you are enjoying it. We have some great music discussion on this thread, as well as some great nominations.

All the choices are personal, which makes it more interesting than your common or garden Top 100 / Top 1000, and we don’t get the same old albums that everybody expects.

Wouldn't bother with the top of the table pal. The bottom third, that's where the real gems are ;)

Bob Seger - Greatest Hits

As note prior here, I was a Bob Seger fan before this release came out in 1994. I had a few of his vinyl albums (1978's Stranger In Town and 1981's live album "Nine Tonight"), but having all of his material, especially once I transitioned over to CDs, wasn't ever "essential" for me (unlike Zep, Bruce, Yes, Rush, and others).

When this album came out in 1994, it was welcome to many of his fans who had thought Bob was well overdue for a Greatest Hits. Having these songs on one CD was great, but as noted prior, there were many other songs that were missed, a good number corrected 9 years later with his official Greatest Hits 2. I wasn't willing to wait that long (see my own "GH2" playlist on p 1251).

The first 12 of 14 tracks are legit GH candidates. They come off of these 7 original albums:
'Live' Bullet - 1
Night Moves - 2
Stranger in Town - 4
Against The Wind - 2
The Distance - 1
Like A Rock - 1
The Fire Inside - 1

The albums with 1 track are mostly where the Greatest Hits release hits the mark in finding later albums with fewer hits. The albums with multiple tracks would have other songs added to his Greatest Hits 2 as well.

The 2 previously unreleased tracks "C'est la Vie" (Chuck Berry) and "In Your Time" found at the end of the GH album I'm sure were record company asks to get some new content on this to get the die hard fans to buy it. To me (and from other prior reviews I've read here), those are the weakest tracks on this album, especially CLV.

My favorite tracks (still) are "Night Moves", "You'll Accomp'ny Me", "Hollywood Nights", "Still the Same", "We've Got Tonite", "Against the Wind", and "Mainstreet".

Overplayed on FM radio and usually my skips for that reason include "Turn the Page (Live)" and "Old Time Rock and Roll". "Turn the Page" wasn't so bad in the early '80's, but with the advent of "Classic Rock" FM stations, those two have taken on unusually curious heavy airplay beatings.

Chevy truck ads in the US later ruined "Like A Rock" for me too in more recent years.

All in all, in listening to this, especially as @denislawsbackheel has noted, these songs for the most part are quite enjoyable. I could certainly see this making one of my hopefully future retired road trips, but I'd have my other unofficial "GH2" with it too. ;-)

These tracks have some of Seger's best lines too:
"The trick, you said, was never play the game too long"
"I know your plans, don't include me"
"I was livin' to run and runnin' to live"
"I'll take my chance babe, I'll risk it all"

Overall, this is a solid Greatest Hits album. It is a 7/10 for me on this for the songs not included, the 2 new ones that were, and this being a Greatest Hits. I'd probably rate "Stranger In Town" a 9/10 on its own as a standalone album.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.