The Album Review Club - Week #143 - (page 1884) - I Should Coco - Supergrass

I might even nominate Rush in my next pick.
Oh, this is perfect!

In hono(u)r of the instant results of KDB coming off the bench when the chips were down and the offense was stalled, may I suggest "Presto"?!

For the winning goal, cue up, "The Pass" off that album, because my friends, that was a banger pass/assist to Bobb!

Last edited:
Oh, this is perfect!

In hono(u)r of the instant results of KDB coming off the bench when the chips were down and the offense was stalled, may I suggest "Presto"?!

For the winning goal, cue up, "The Pass" off that album, because my friends, that was a banger pass/assist to Bobb!

There’s more chance of me nominating a hip-hop album than Benny nominating Rush.

There’s more chance of me nominating a hip-hop album than Benny nominating Rush.
Oh absolutely, and Fog and Radiohead and all that.... I totally get it.

But.... none of that deters me from using an awesome pun and outlandish scenario when it fits!

Our team needed some magic yesterday, and it was an easy segue.

And, for a bonus, given it is one of Rush's least played albums of mine, whenever I do give it the rare spin, I'll get to think of that comeback match and bennyboy "never nominating". That's win-win for me! :-)

Bob Seger - Greatest Hits

Hang the heartland rocker because the music that he constantly plays it says nothing to me about my life…

I’ve often wondered, when it comes to art, whether being inoffensive is in itself offensive? As I’ve got older and mellower or sufficiently exhausted that I like to keep my powder dry for things that really deserve it, I’m less inclined to think such things. However, I’m slightly amused that something as inoffensive as this week’s pick has been the subject of some quite tetchy debate.

In fairness to DLBH he didn’t suggest that listening to this album was a life changing experience, simply some good singalong rock that he has very fond memories of. On that basis I get why people might like it and how it could sell bucketloads as an easily digestible experience not requiring too much effort to engage. Unfortunately, it wasn’t for me. Though there are some exceptions, I don’t really get heartland rock because neither musically nor lyrically does it particularly resonate with me. The lack of connection was exacerbated in this case by songs and performances which had had the life produced out them and felt rather bland to me. It all felt a bit like the musical equivalent of eating Kraft cheese squares when what I wanted was a bit of gorgonzola or something. As others have said, if I wanted to occasionally listen to something in this space it probably would be Springsteen or Tom Petty.

That said, as I have already posted I ended up listening to his very first album and quite liked it, so I’m drawing the conclusion that Bob Seger is talented but over time that talent has been buried under a landslide of suffocating Classic Smooth Rock FM Radio friendly corporate sonic nothingness. Beyond not making a connection to me, much of what I disliked about this pick was in the arrangements and the production. As a simple example the ‘gospel lite’ backing on Night Moves could indeed, as junior proclaimed, have been the concoction of an AI that had been instructed to 'make it soulful' but that’s one of multiple places where I felt it sunk into a lowest common denominator genericism. As suggested I did try Stranger In Town but I didn’t get on with that either so I would probably stick with his first couple of albums were I to listen again.

As for this album I didn’t really have any standouts but did like his voice when he didn’t get too histrionic and there were some songs that had they had completely different treatments, I would find more enjoyable so I may even explore one or two covers that people have produced of some of these.

For me personally this was a good pick because it gave me a chance to explore someone I was very unfamiliar with, and it was a partial success in that it turns out there’s music of his I would listen to again, but just not from this album so 5/10 for me.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.