The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

Ha. He's pretty funny but you posting these is just playing into the prejudices of half of this lot who think it's only music if Ernie Ball or Rotosound are involved :-)

Btw - I think you'll find it's about £80 too on the basis I'm pretty sure it's just the other end of the same keyboard.
It’s not music if you can’t break it down and play an acoustic version on the front porch. Everybody knows that, right?

I was thinking that it will be them pitch shifted in the mix.

Yeah it seems it's mostly Dunckel.

Quite liking it so far. I think their blend of traditional instruments with the synths is really well done and something loads of producers balls up.

I know he wrote the lyric but Jarvis should have let someone else sing One Hell of a Party.

I’ll get in early this week. Not really my kind of thing if I’m honest. That said, a few listens in the car yesterday and it’s not unpleasant. The highlight for me was West Bank, the low point was the Jarvis Cocker warbling!
I would imagine it’s decent dinner party music, sadly as I have no friends it will never tested out.
Solid 5/10 - no Jarvis Cocker and it would’ve been a 6

I don't really have much to say about this album, which after waffling on a fair bit last week is by no means a dig at it in any way. It was pleasant, it filled a space, it created a mood. Mostly listened to it all in one go, which I think it lends itself well to, it is not really an album where songs stood out to me. Once upon a time and Left Wing being ones I enjoyed the most.

I always associated Air with more electronics sounds, and was pleasantly surprised that this was a bit more 'basic' than I was anticipating. It is rich in places, nice and melodic generally, and would have no issue listening to it again. Not sure I would rush to explore more of their other stuff, but wouldn't say no if it came on. Overall, I'd say musically a 6, with a bonus point for a cool as fuck album cover (which to me, matters). 7.

Just finished a second listen...

It's not the worst piece of music I've listened to on this thread it's just that nothing really happens. One song leads to another in a semi dream like state punctuated by the odd sound. Sounds I think they got from a bank of sounds and thought...hey, sound number 307 would fit in that song we haven't finished. Bruit. It's all very nice and dreamy and nice and dreamy and nice and...
I hate nice. Nice to me means a lack of ambition. A lack of trying. Ooh...that top looks nice. That colour looks nice on you. Nice. Horrid word.
I do quite like the Neil Hannon song though. It's Jazzy with his pleasant voice joining in at the right time. The final Cocker song is just indulgent nonsense. The first of his is just awful.

I'd rather listen to Art Of The Memory Palaces 'Dusk at Trellick Tower'. Ambient, dreamy but definitely not "nice".

3 out of 10. With 1 point added for Neil Hannon trying to liven proceedings.

4/10

Last edited:
Just finished a second listen...

It's not the worst piece of music I've listened to on this thread it's just that nothing really happens. One song leads to another in a semi dream like state punctuated by the odd sound. Sounds I think they got from a bank of sounds and thought...hey, sound number 307 would fit in that song we haven't finished. Bruit. It's all very nice and dreamy and nice and dreamy and nice and...
I hate nice. Nice to me means a lack of ambition. A lack of trying. Ooh...that top looks nice. That colour looks nice on you. Nice. Horrid word.
I do quite like the Neil Hannon song though. It's Jazzy with his pleasant voice joining in at the right time. The final Cocker song is just indulgent nonsense. The first of his is just awful.

I'd rather listen to Art Of The Memory Palaces 'Dusk at Trellick Tower'. Ambient, dreamy but definitely not "nice".

3 out of 10. With 1 point added for Neil Hannon trying to liven proceedings.

4/10

Nice review.

Pocket Symphony - Air

My only previous experience of Air was due to their inclusion on a free sampler CD with Q Magazine around 1999/2000. I loved that track, “La femme d'argent”, but when I eventually listened to the Moon Safari album, I wasn’t that impressed.

That I like the sound of this record is no surprise to me. It’s produced by Nigel Godrich who produced Beck’s two best albums (Mutations and Sea Change), and Pocket Symphony shares that same airy (no pun intended) feel where there’s enough space to breathe between the notes. [For the first time, I noticed that Godrich also produces Radiohead’s albums! Maybe I might like them more than I think?]

Whilst I agree with BimboBob that it has a dreamlike quality in places, I disagree with the “bank of sounds” comment because to me, it sounds like these guys know how to play their instruments. What’s more, whilst a lot of the music you hear is synthesised keyboard “pads” that act as a musical undercoat, the touches of guitar, piano and Japanese stringed thingy™ all help contribute to a series of crafty melodies that act like earworms.

“Space Maker” is a fantastic instrumental opener – you could put money on the fact that I’d love that strummed acoustic – and the tune acts as an effective introduction to what is to come. “Napalm Love” has a catchy motif, and I agree with the few comments so far that “Left Bank” is the standout (even though it’s already been called “West Bank” and “Left Wing” in the write-ups!)

I also enjoyed “Mer Du Japon” and “Crickets” (although I note that the latter wasn’t on the original album) and despite the presence of Jarvis Cocker, “The Duelist” was strange but somehow beguiling (again, not on the original album).

It’s not all good though: I didn’t like the other appearance of Mr Cocker, and there were a few tracks that seemed repetitive – e.g. “Redhead Girl” and “Night Sight”.

Whilst there are a number of tracks that I wouldn’t bother to listen to again, there’s enough to keep me interested. I love the overall sound of the album and there’s enough to give it a 7.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.