The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

There isn’t another movie around about Christmas — meaning an actual Christmas. Like the one families have.

Aye there is, Jingle All The Way!
People going nuts over shopping for the must have of the month, being twats to each other, missing the point of family, slipping on things, and being emotionally fucked by the end of it all. Proper Christmas!

On the subject of DIY, if I manage to behave myself, Santa is bringing me an Arturia midi controller for Christmas and revisiting this album and its ethos this week has inspired me to have a crack at my own middle-aged BM inspired version.

Meanwhile, in the Spires household...

Just to add to the Xmas movie (sic) debate. There is only Bad Santa!! It is a film that conveys the spirit of Christmas in a joyful human way and leaves you with a warm feeling inside. The final message - Shit happens when you party naked - cannot be argued. Anyone disagreeing with this clearly would not be able to pronounce aluminum correctly

Just to add to the Xmas movie (sic) debate. There is only Bad Santa!! It is a film that conveys the spirit of Christmas in a joyful human way and leaves you with a warm feeling inside. The final message - Shit happens when you party naked - cannot be argued. Anyone disagreeing with this clearly would not be able to pronounce aluminum correctly

'Cause there's an i next to the u and m. Now write it down slowly, and read it out fast.

There isn’t another movie around about Christmas — meaning an actual Christmas. Like the one families have. That shows the way families act or used to. It’s about how people are every day, middle class people. How parents and children are in the real world.

Every other Xmas movie has magic or some fantastical boy meets girl story line or some other such bullshit, or it’s Die Hard.
Home Alone does all this and more.

There isn’t another movie around about Christmas — meaning an actual Christmas. Like the one families have. That shows the way families act or used to. It’s about how people are every day, middle class people. How parents and children are in the real world.

Every other Xmas movie has magic or some fantastical boy meets girl story line or some other such bullshit, or it’s Die Hard.

I take your point and I am sure the movie is a bit of a grower. I found a few things grated with me about it; I wasn’t a fan of the dream sequences, for example, which almost add a fantastical element. Some bits reminded me of the Benny Hill show, which is a really bad thing in my eyes. It was a low budget movie and you could tell. Not that it required a lavish production but, before watching it, I happened to catch the last few minutes of another low budget seasonal movie - different season - Halloween. That is low budget but you don’t notice.

I was the biggest movie fan on the planet in 1980’s and have no recollection of this film’s existence but now I’ve had a close encounter with it. If only Spielberg had made it.

Obviously, it is very American, which is not a problem for me but would, in part, explain why it has not gained popularity over here.

I am happy to have a fantastical or rom-com element in a Christmas movie and so in my world “A Christmas Story” cannot exist in a sample size of 1. :-)

Good man.

I love Bad Santa.

Back to the thread, first listen today and very good indeed.....needs a few more listens though. I think it will go on whilst gettign the decorations put up today

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.