The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

I'm not enamoured of much of the vocals on the pick but the later stuff I've listened to he seems to have found his voice both figuratively and literally.
We've had two gems nominated on the playlist thread from Gaz's 2023 album Turn The Car Around from @Out on blue 6 that I've really liked. It's been a busy two weeks of travel, so I haven't been able to really listen to this yet, but I'm looking forward to getting to it over the weekend.

Sorry, way. The rock FM stations I listened to back when this came out I can assure you didn't play it back in the day, and unless I'm searching something out in the prior era of Napster and now Spotify, they're not registering.

If I look at the "Supergrass Radio", I see artists I well know and regularly listen to. If I go to those artist radio stations, I don't find Supergrass songs or "Alright", so that also explains things of recent years.

Crazy, was such a huge hit in UK when it come out.

Crazy, was such a huge hit in UK when it come out.
Yes, but they have such a wider and better range of music than we have on our tiny island. Americans are not limited to just listening to what’s it our top 40. “Alright” might be overplayed here but there’s no reason why it should be outside the UK.

Yes, but they have such a wider and better range of music than we have on our tiny island. Americans are not limited to just listening to what’s it our top 40. “Alright” might be overplayed here but there’s no reason why it should be outside the UK.

Not disputing that, just mad how such a huge song that I’ve heard hundreds of times has never been picked up by someone else. Funny ol world.

Really enjoyed this album when it first came out and it was great to get reacquainted.
You can see why "Breakfast in America" is a is considered one of the greatest albums of all time and a classic of 1970s rock music.
It’s a blend of progressive rock, pop, and folk elements, with catchy melodies, complex arrangements, and witty lyrics. The production is polished and sophisticated, and the band's musicianship is top-notch.
Stand out tracks “The Logical Song," "Breakfast in America," "Goodbye Stranger," and "Take the Long Way Home." These are all timeless classics that continue to be enjoyed by fans today. Overall, "Breakfast in America" is a masterpiece of rock music that is both timeless and influential.

Edit: If only….. back to reality. Not much for me to enjoy this week. Some decent crunchy guitar at times, but wow this guy can’t sing. Opening track was half decent, Alright isn’t Alright…. 3/10

Yeah but can they create an album about a man losing all his savings down the back of a TV eh?

I'll take as a given your reply that's this is yet another point in Arnerica's favour
- saves you having to type it out ;-)

Last edited:
Yeah but can they create an album about a man losing all his savings down the back of a TV eh?

I'll take as a given, your reply that's this is yet another point in Arnerica's favour
- saves you having to type it out ;-)
It is. Although bizarrely on the back of listening to this week’s album I’m revisiting a Britpop band that had a few very good songs in the 90s: Dodgy.

What? Did you try driving around America when this was out? Every radio station down South was either Country or Religion and the rest was MOR. Thank the Lord for progress and internet radio.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.