The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

No, but I’m not a radio-obsessive. I seek music out via a variety of sources - radio used to be one of them, but you’ve got personal recommendations and written reviews as well.
Whilst Britain has produced many great artists over the years, I still believe that the US has a much richer musical heritage. Something that we can all debate and argue about when the new thread starts ……

I have “Wounded Egos” on one of my playlists thanks to your nomination in the playlist thread.
Oooh now there’s a debate, US vs UK musically.

The UK’s musical contribution is out of all proportion to the size of the country and while much of it is based on music that came out of America, taking popular music forward has Led to the UK producing may of the greatest, most enduringly popular and most influential bands.

From my experience US classic rock stations have long been dominated by one band - the one whose “Whole Lotta Love” riff Supergrass borrowed from (yes, i know Zep borrowed the song from an American.

What did I miss - where did Supertramp enter the fray from?

They made some albums that, for me, are on a completely different level to this week’s offering (and many others if I’m honest).

I have one of their albums that means a lot to me both on a personal and musical level so, one day…
Sadly just wishful thinking on my part - a poor attempt at humour to detract from what we were actually supposed to be listening to! ;)

Oooh now there’s a debate, US vs UK musically.

The UK’s musical contribution is out of all proportion to the size of the country and while much of it is based on music that came out of America, taking popular music forward has Led to the UK producing may of the greatest, most enduringly popular and most influential bands.

From my experience US classic rock stations have long been dominated by one band - the one whose “Whole Lotta Love” riff Supergrass borrowed from (yes, i know Zep borrowed the song from an American.

Hopefully we'll have some interesting discussions around this on the new thread but to the extent that we've ever truly had a 'special' relationship then music has been one of the most positive elements of it.

Btw - I think your term 'borrowed' is a bit generous (to LZ) when we're talking about LZ and Willie Dixon/Waters, but maybe we should wait on that till the new thread!

Hopefully we'll have some interesting discussions around this on the new thread but to the extent that we've ever truly had a 'special' relationship then music has been one of the most positive elements of it.

Btw - I think your term 'borrowed' is a bit generous (to LZ) when we're talking about LZ and Willie Dixon/Waters, but maybe we should wait on that till the new thread!
Zep covered a few things but did transform them. And let’s not muddy the waters, that riff is Page taking a bit of inspiration, it’s the lyrics that Plant copied heavily.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.