The Album Review Club - Week #144 - (page 1893) - XO - Elliot Smith

It is. Although bizarrely on the back of listening to this week’s album I’m revisiting a Britpop band that had a few very good songs in the 90s: Dodgy.
Had some great nights watching Dodgy. Sometimes you just want a band to make you smile at the end of the night. Guitarist was married to Denise Van Outen if I remember rightly. At the end of the day this is what Supergrass where at this stage of their career. They made better albums afterwards and I would put any of Gaz's solo stuff up as a good listen

What? Did you try driving around America when this was out? Every radio station down South was either Country or Religion and the rest was MOR. Thank the Lord for progress and internet radio.
No, but I’m not a radio-obsessive. I seek music out via a variety of sources - radio used to be one of them, but you’ve got personal recommendations and written reviews as well.
Whilst Britain has produced many great artists over the years, I still believe that the US has a much richer musical heritage. Something that we can all debate and argue about when the new thread starts ……

Had some great nights watching Dodgy. Sometimes you just want a band to make you smile at the end of the night. Guitarist was married to Denise Van Outen if I remember rightly. At the end of the day this is what Supergrass where at this stage of their career. They made better albums afterwards and I would put any of Gaz's solo stuff up as a good listen
I have “Wounded Egos” on one of my playlists thanks to your nomination in the playlist thread.

Yes, but they have such a wider and better range of music than we have on our tiny island. Americans are not limited to just listening to what’s it our top 40.
And some of us aren't listening to what's in our top 40 either, but I digress.

And I'll argue that it's possible to even get away with ignoring a Top 40 too with no recognition.

I find that out most Super Bowls at halftime when I'm looked at for song recognition, and I look back, shake my head and proudly say "I got nothing here".

Last edited:
No, but I’m not a radio-obsessive. I seek music out via a variety of sources - radio used to be one of them, but you’ve got personal recommendations and written reviews as well.
Whilst Britain has produced many great artists over the years, I still believe that the US has a much richer musical heritage. Something that we can all debate and argue about when the new thread starts ……

I have “Wounded Egos” on one of my playlists thanks to your nomination in the playlist thread.
I wasn't talking about musical heritage I was talking about why people in America wouldn't have heard of Supergrass when the album came out.

I quite enjoyed my second listen. I do actually recognise several of the songs. Always catchy. Very much still , bubblegum pop, but I can listen to this fun ahead of the Oasis variety and how seriously they take themselves, any day of the week.

Still think IIFTM is a more mature album, but this is growing on me.

Like all those this side of the pond I had heard "Alright" but had never bothered listening to a whole album.
So it went on my usual commute listening.
I just got youth, energy, fun out of it. Yes, the main single was overplayed but i still see it as a fun catchy little ditty.
I was quite surprised by how guitar/rocky it was and besides Britpop I also thought it sounded quite punky and was taken back to "Crossing The Red Sea".
For me it was a like a breath of fresh air and a relief after last week that i simply took nothing (OK...2 minutes) from.

I’m only one listen in and don’t remember it from 1995 except for the couple of singles. Fuzz and Alright. However my initial reaction is not unlike your nostalgic one, or objective rather than subjective nostalgic treatment of it.
I played In it for the Money immediately after and whether it’s more my familiarity with the album or objectivity, I feel it is a much more mature album.
As you say, Coco is a lightweight, but instantly enjoyable ride, but like a sweet chewing gum it quickly loses its flavour. Nothing overly memorable in it when it’s finished.
IIFTM on the other hand paradoxically is heavier and yet more melodic and the flavour lingers after. That’s my initial reaction. I will without any difficulty listen to Coco a few more times.
As I said, it’s enjoyable. I would add Lenny to your list of ‘ sounds like’ tunes.
The riff is a rip off of Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love, although the song itself takes a different direction.
I’m even leaning towards a six like yourself, but will give it a few more listens first.
Damn, I wanted to be the first to mention “Whole Lotta Love”.

Really enjoyed this album when it first came out and it was great to get reacquainted.
You can see why "Breakfast in America" is a is considered one of the greatest albums of all time and a classic of 1970s rock music.
It’s a blend of progressive rock, pop, and folk elements, with catchy melodies, complex arrangements, and witty lyrics. The production is polished and sophisticated, and the band's musicianship is top-notch.
Stand out tracks “The Logical Song," "Breakfast in America," "Goodbye Stranger," and "Take the Long Way Home." These are all timeless classics that continue to be enjoyed by fans today. Overall, "Breakfast in America" is a masterpiece of rock music that is both timeless and influential.

Edit: If only….. back to reality. Not much for me to enjoy this week. Some decent crunchy guitar at times, but wow this guy can’t sing. Opening track was half decent, Alright isn’t Alright…. 3/10

What did I miss - where did Supertramp enter the fray from?

They made some albums that, for me, are on a completely different level to this week’s offering (and many others if I’m honest).

I have one of their albums that means a lot to me both on a personal and musical level so, one day…

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.