The battle for 4th place

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH I wouldn't be arsed. Not going to win the CL this year or next, even with Pep in charge. In fact let's not even get a EL place. Let's concentrate on the PL next season, playing once a week, and the domestic cups. Start a fresh, build a new team next season, and the Summer after, and then go again in the CL that season. A season out of European football really won't hurt that much, apart from on the financial sheet.
We are already in the Europa league mate

Given that I don't see any way we'll finish above the rags or West Ham, I couldn't argue with that. I guess it's not really a concern anymore, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Southampton and/or the dippers reined us in as well. At the moment I just can't see where the next win's coming from with this mad arse in charge. The decision making from Khaldoon downwards this season has been catastrophic

You have been right all along.

I have got it wrong this season.

When you look at our decline, I am starting to think it's simply incredible that Pellegrini has not been sacked. Perhaps it's because Guardiola is coming and the board have decided that it's not worth bringing in an interim manager with the few games remaining. Or maybe it's because they are clinging to some romantic but illogical idea that we might actually win the CL or get to the final maybe.

But for me, the decline has been so marked, so shocking and our underperformance so bad, that irrespective of other circumstances Ihe must be sacked. Not sacking doesn't send out any messages about loyalty or anything like that (that boat sailed when it became plain Guardiola was coming). The only message it sends is "mediocrity and underperformance is welcomed here".

The only positive I can see at the moment is that our next two games are Bournemouth (a) and WBA (h).
The rags play Everton (h) and Tottenham (a).
West Ham play Palace (h) and Arsenal (h).

We SHOULD pick up 6 points in our next two games whilst the other two hopefully drop some points. If we can then get the likes of Nasri, KDB, Komps and Otamendi back then fingers crossed we can dig our way out of this mess. Roll on next season eh!

At the minute 4th place is the best we can hope for, I don't think we will finish in the top 4, our form and confidence is shot too pieces, our manager is clueless.

What pisses me off is the possibility of missing out on Peps transfer targets, they may have to be looked at again, hope there is a plan B.

If we finish in 4th, we have to play a qualifier after the Euros, probably in some old eastern block country.

After years of fighting for a level playing field in The CL, where we are seeded as per our league position, ie finish 1st go into pot 1.

We would now be in pot 4, therefore another group of death.

This season has been the most disappointing since the takeover.

And yet we've won a trophy!

Needs quantifying. Many positives but the league form has been appalling and we've gone backwards again.

Think we are at the stage now where he needs to be brave. And if that means upsetting one of two egos so be it. Will be good to have KDB back in the team and I'd also start kelechi just behind the striker. Think it's time to drop Silva and at least until Hart and Kompany back fit go with this:

Willy
Zabba Otamendi Mangala Clichy
Fernandinho Yaya
DeBruyne Kelechi Nasri
Aguero

What sticks out for me is that we're persevering with Aguero on his own up front. We're no Barcelona and hence Navas and Sterling don't offer what Neymar and Suarez or Messi do. In the last few years we've played our best football with two up top, usually with Aguero sitting just behind the striker. Trouble is Audrey clearly doesn't trust Ieanacho sufficiently and Bony lacks mobility and awareness. The sum of our problems lie with us as an attacking team. Too slow and lacking incisiveness.

And yet we've won a trophy!

Needs quantifying. Many positives but the league form has been appalling and we've gone backwards again.

I'm afraid that winning the League Cup, whilst 'a trophy', cannot compensate for the unmitigated disaster that this season has turned in to. Not finishing in the top 4 will hold us back for 3 years, largely down to the effect it will have on transfer dealings and the possibility that it will put the cross hairs even more firmly on Aguero from Real and Barca - and who would blame him if he wanted to go?

Hopefully Pellegrini will see Demi is finished and never pick him again. This will go half way to fixing our defence. Get kdb and Nasri back for a bit of a change in playing personnel and we can do it. Top 4 is still in our hands and we should do it despite the old twat.
Defending wasn't the problem yesterday. Yes they scored but they rarely threatened and we had much of the ball. We just lack creativity and don't score enough goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.