The battle for 4th place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievably, NO 4th hasn't gone, we're still in 4th with everything still in our own hands.
But we are in last chance saloon now, this run of form has to stop.
If it doesn't we will finish around 8th/9th.

You seem incapable of differentiating between the present and the future. The fact that we are 4th at the moment means nothing.

Aston Villa were top at 3:01 on the first day but that didn't mean they had any chance of finishing top.

Yes if we're 4th with a 8 point gap to 5th and 4 or 5 games left. But we are 1 point ahead of two teams playing better than us - much better - who have better fixtures and some momentum behind them.

My biggest concern is that honestly, genuinely, I don't think Pellegrini is remotely bothered if we get 4th or not. He will throw the games preceding the PSG games, that's a given.

For me, 4th requires a fundamental change in approach starting right now. That probably requires a change of manager starting right now. Stick with the same manager, same strategy, same approach and the same results will surely ensue. That will leave us fighting for 6th.

That's the reality I think. Make big changes or accept 6th.

Agreed with everything but the position.

Its easy to see the likes of Stoke , Southampton and Liverpool finishing ahead of us as well.

We have to play two of them and can anyone honestly see this rabble of a team beating them.

We will see how far we have fallen when we play Bournemouth believe me it well get a lot uglier.

If you manager and players don't have the will any more and they do not you have to get a caretaker with a short term target and by hook or by crook he will get it.

By the time we get creamed by PSG it will too late but hopefully we can limp ahead of Chelsea for what its worth but I am not hedging my bets on that.

Presently the only team I would want to play is Aston Villa the rest would be confident of knocking us off.

Believe me its that bad.

The thing that pisses me off most is that, this season, everybody else is shit! Look at the probable points total that will win the league. We've been runners up on more. This should have been easy for us but we've played down to everybody else's level.

Friend of mine just sent me the following. Not sure if it's all true (knowing him it probably is) but it highlights how wrong things have gone this season.
The defeat yesterday means City have lost 17 out of the last 18 occasions they have trailed at half-time in a league match. They have gone 22 games without recording back-to-back wins and, even more startlingly, managed only two victories in 14 matches against top-half teams. City’s total of 51 points is down from 61, 67, 62 and 70 at the corresponding stage of the previous four seasons.
Being 4th, still in CL and COC winners I hadn't quite realised how poor we've been until I read that....

We are dog shit and those who have let it happen should be embarrassed.

Pelle, tikki and khaldoon all need to look in the mirror.

I await the usual crap chairman's video

The thing that pisses me off most is that, this season, everybody else is shit! Look at the probable points total that will win the league. We've been runners up on more. This should have been easy for us but we've played down to everybody else's level.

I think there is a lot of truth in the post. We have failed in a mediocre PL which is even more disappointing .

No-one seems to be thinking about the effect yesterday's shambles will have had on West Ham, the scum or even Liverpool. They will all be bang up for it now - even more than they were before. And with no CL QF distraction they will be 100% focused on that 4th spot.

I'll be amazed if we get 4th now. I hope of course I am wrong.

I know it's probably nonsense but I can't shake from my mind the thought that maybe just maybe the Pep thing may fall through if we don't get 4th.

I can't shake the Pep thing from my mind either, mate.

It would be the very nadir of Typical City.

Unbelievably, NO 4th hasn't gone, we're still in 4th with everything still in our own hands.
But we are in last chance saloon now, this run of form has to stop.
If it doesn't we will finish around 8th/9th.

We have been saying this run of form has to stop for months now but it hasn't and I don't see any compelling evidence to say it will now. Top 4 for me has gone just like the title went a while back.

How on earth has it come to this? The club have allowed a malaise to set in and done nothing to counter it.
I think we'll finish between 5/7th.

When Mancini left, we were accused of starting to become defensive, and Pelligrini would bring back exciting football. For the first 6 months or so, he managed that, and were were very good to watch, but then we reverted to type and went back to our pedestrian build up play that's been out hall mark for about 4 years now.
De Bruyne probably gave us a shot in the arm and added some verve to our play again, but injury has curtailed that.

We bought Navas for pace - but be don't exploit it.
We bought Sterling for pace - but we don't exploit it.
We persist with Yaya because he's capable of golden moments (but those are 1 in 10 games these days, and he's a liability for the other 9).
We bought Bony to give us another goal scoring option alongside, or instead of Sergio (but he's not scoring in either of those configurations).

Not getting a CL spot isn't a footballing disaster - we can live without it, but it's a PR disaster and will inhibit our ability attract the very best players (even with Guardiola at the helm).
If we accept that Bayern, Barca and Real get first pickings of any world stars, then we're in the next category down (City, Chelsea, PSG, United, Arsenal if they splashed the cash and possibly Juve). It's a disaster to bring in Guardiola at a time when we clearly need a significant overhaul, and have to downgrade our signing expectations due to lack of CL.

I loathe the celebration of 'top 4' as though is were a prize in itself, but sadly, that's precisely what it's become this season.
Oh how I long for the likes of Bellamy who had the gumption to take a game by the scruff of the neck. Sergio's doing his best to be that guy, but he's more 'skill' and less 'leadership'.

2/3 of my team no longer see a 50/50 ball as worth the effort. A sad end for that charming man.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.